Emulation CEMU on Ubuntu Wine on PS4...

Whatnoww

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Joke is on you busta. I wasnt even being serious.

Anyways, has anyone tried it? I dont care how slow it is. I just want to see how it runs. Maybe a video with super mario maker which is running best in CEMU. Or dolphin linux like other user said.

Srry grammer. Im on mobile.
Then you were joking? How would we know?

D

Deleted-379826

I think you could at least run it but like they've all said above don't expect great results AT ALL but if they ere to straight up port the emu it would be significantly better

aracom

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Wine is not a emulator, so if cemu even loads up, you won't notice a great loss in performance. But Wine is not nearly as complete to run something as complex and low-level as cemu. You'd be better off waiting for a linux version by exzap(tbh, that's your only option).

Don Jon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wine is not a emulator, so if cemu even loads up, you won't notice a great loss in performance. But Wine is not nearly as complete to run something as complex and low-level as cemu. You'd be better off waiting for a linux version by exzap(tbh, that's your only option).
Is that even being worked on?
Then you were joking? How would we know?
Who cares...

Seems no one has a ps4 here.

Last edited by Don Jon,

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You can emulate a human being on a potater but it dudn't look pretty
121217-Potato-Head.png

Nightwish

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Wine is still a layer between the two operating environments. The important parts are always gonna slow you down, linux fanboy. But you already know this.
Lol, wut, just no. It depends on the particular part of windows the program uses (if it's even implemented), there are some games that run faster as well.
I honestly never noticed any slow down, but I didn't go and measure it either, I was just happy to notice I had no use for windows anymore. Have you tried it or even seen benchmarks?

Don Jon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol, wut, just no. It depends on the particular part of windows the program uses (if it's even implemented), there are some games that run faster as well.
I honestly never noticed any slow down, but I didn't go and measure it either, I was just happy to notice I had no use for windows anymore. Have you tried it or even seen benchmarks?
This guy gets it.
Others just speak out of their ass without even testing.
I hate y'all.

Last edited by Don Jon,
D

Deleted User

Others just speak out of their ass without even testing.
I hate y'all.
It's a thing called speculation, and if you don't like what they suggest, just ignore it and don't take it on board.
Also, not everyone has a PS4 on 1.76 to test this, so that's why they can only form theories and can't test stuff.

I don't see why you're taking it to heart.

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cemu is heavily CPU dependent at the moment, and the PS4 runs an AMD APU that maxes out at 1.6Ghz per core. Even if they were implemented properly in whatever Linux kernels exist with PS4 support, AMD's Linux graphics drivers are severely lacking - a modern high-end Radeon card will function about as well as a mid-range Nvidia card from a couple generations back, and the APU in the PS4 (essentially a weaker 7870) is nowhere near a high-end card. That's not even taking into account how well OpenGL support or specific instruction sets are or aren't implemented in Wine.

In short, once a bunch of progress has been made and there's a native Linux port of CEMU, it might run acceptably on the PS4, but don't expect anything playable now or in the near future.

Don Jon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cemu is heavily CPU dependent at the moment, and the PS4 runs an AMD APU that maxes out at 1.6Ghz per core. Even if they were implemented properly in whatever Linux kernels exist with PS4 support, AMD's Linux graphics drivers are severely lacking - a modern high-end Radeon card will function about as well as a mid-range Nvidia card from a couple generations back, and the APU in the PS4 (essentially a weaker 7870) is nowhere near a high-end card. That's not even taking into account how well OpenGL support or specific instruction sets are or aren't implemented in Wine.

In short, once a bunch of progress has been made and there's a native Linux port of CEMU, it might run acceptably on the PS4, but don't expect anything playable now or in the near future.
thanks for keeping it civilized. I understand if anything opengl may be a factor. It doesnt hurt to at least try even if it crashes at start up tho.

Last edited by Don Jon,

GBAFail

Smell my finger.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only way you could run CEMU on there is if you set up a Windows virtual machine and using the PS4's GPU as a passthrough, which is already impossible because 1, CPU virtualization is impossible on the PS4's CPU, and 2, the PS4's GPU would have to be completely disabled for a passthrough to work, that is if virtualization passthrough was already compatible in the CPU, which again, no. That's why Linux PC's that have gaming VMs have two completely different GPU's inside. (Or Linux runs with onboard and VM uses discrete) Then again, I don't know how the process works, but it wouldn't be *too* shocking if someone got a working version of Windows running on the PS4, since the consoles this gen are literally custom PCs. Drivers would be a huge issue if that ever happened.
You can run it in wine. Nothing in your reply is relevant.... (Not to mention a lot of games have native support for Linux now and running them in a VM is always a terrible idea.)

frankGT

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
LOL at this thread. Ps4 couldn't handle it, stop thinking its more than what it is.
Its a small soc with 8 gimped low end power oriented cpu cores that take laps from an i3, and has the graphical horsepower of a ~120€ gpu, soon, -70€ gpu with the introduction of 14-16nm process.

Last edited by frankGT,

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Why?
Ps4 is as powerful as a pc or more.
That's where I decided that this thread can be nothing but a troll thread.
Are you serious?
Almost all CEMU YouTube videos where you see at least average speed are using a GTX 970.
The PS 4 is many years old and far away from that.
You should try running Dolphin first which might be hard enough before you dream on here.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up