Hacking Circle Pad patches for Super Mario 64 DS and other games (in TwilightMenu with TWPatcher and RTCom)

shoco

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
I tried the 2.4 version and when I gain control of Yoshi at the beginning the game starts auto pressing everything and only stops if I open the pause menu. I'm using a New3DSXL btw.
Okay. I assume the problem is with the TwlBg patch (either Sono's or the one that my patch applies at runtime).
Do you have the last version of TWPatcher installed? Have you tried some other patches like widescreen mods and screen filters? This problem may happen when there is no patched "TwlBg.cxi" at "/luma/sysmodules" at all or the option "Enable loading external FIRMs and modules" is off in Luma's settings. Could you also try some of my previous versions (those 3 others in my first post at the top)? And if none of it works, I'd like to know your game and OS versions (for statistics) :)

Vegito2121

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay. I assume the problem is with the TwlBg patch (either Sono's or the one that my patch applies at runtime).
Do you have the last version of TWPatcher installed? Have you tried some other patches like widescreen mods and screen filters? This problem may happen when there is no patched "TwlBg.cxi" at "/luma/sysmodules" at all or the option "Enable loading external FIRMs and modules" is off in Luma's settings. Could you also try some of my previous versions (those 3 others in my first post at the top)? And if none of it works, I'd like to know your game and OS versions (for statistics) :)
I just checked my Luma conig menu and apparently I didn't have "Enable loading external FIRMs and modules" enabled even though I swear I remember doing that a while back. Now it works perfectly.

prestong340

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For me, the camera is stuck turning left and spinning in a circle, and my character is running around in circles, what causes this?

shoco

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
For me, the camera is stuck turning left and spinning in a circle, and my character is running around in circles, what causes this?
Probably the same, the TwlBg patch doesn't work/exist. As I described in the comment above, check the Luma settings and see if widescreen patches work (if they don't, this one won't too), and maybe try some older versions as a last measure
Post automatically merged:

I wonder if it would be possible to make analog patches for the Zelda DS games? They already got dpad patches both, but having analog controls on top of that would be cool.
I've added the patches for these games, if you're still interested

Last edited by shoco,
  • Wow
Reactions: DSoryu

recs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Probably the same, the TwlBg patch doesn't work/exist. As I described in the comment above, check the Luma settings and see if widescreen patches work (if they don't, this one won't too), and maybe try some older versions as a last measure
Post automatically merged:

I've added the patches for these games, if you're still interested
Wow holy shit!! You are the MVP, seriously.

Cornholio309

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually ended up having the same issue as @prestong340 , and confirmed I had a TwlBg.cxi file in the proper directory. I ended up finding the cause of the issue, and was able to fix it!

For some reason, TwilightMenu's built-in 'Screen Aspect Ratio' option seems to conflict with how the Action Replay codes hook into the game to allow the controls. Make sure it's set to 'Default' as opposed to '16:9':

20230117_180557.jpg

To get widescreen while playing 64 DS, I just built a version of TwlBg.cxi using TWLPatcher that has the 'Widescreen patch (384x240 16:10)' option enabled. This doesn't seem to conflict with anything.

A HUGE thanks for this patch too by the way. This is something I've wanted for ages to actually mess with on console. I don't use my Wii U too much and most options I found that hooked into emulators were a bit more complicated to properly set up. This is really ideal and works wonderfully.

recs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Wow holy shit!! You are the MVP, seriously.
Tried it out with Phantom Hourglass and works fine! Only problem it that it collides with the button patch somehow. Like, if you use the analog pad you cannot use the A button to interact or to roll and Link instead slash the sword, and you have to use the dpad or the touchscreen every time to make the button work. Not a huge deal breaker though it'd be cool if someone end up figuring it out.

Edit: messing around it appears that the way the button patch work, every time a Dpad direction is pressed, the button A is made to work as a touch tap on the direction of the last Dpad press. Meaning, if you press A after pressing left, you will interact with things left of Link. But if you move right using the analog, A will still work as a touch tap on left.

Maybe keeping the Cpad simulating the Dpad will make it work? Pretty sure it would fix the button thing, and for what I tested it wouldn't conflict with the dpad also controlling the movement as the analog appears to override the dpad.

Last edited by recs,

shoco

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
I actually ended up having the same issue as @prestong340 , and confirmed I had a TwlBg.cxi file in the proper directory. I ended up finding the cause of the issue, and was able to fix it!
Thanks. I couldn't find this option in the latest version of TwilightMenu. The devs probably removed it completely at some point. It might be a good idea to update TwilighMenu as well.
I think it used to be implemented in a way that TwilighMenu would put/replace the patched version of TwlBg at runtime (right before the game started). This would explain why it didn't work (because TwlightMenu replaced it with its own "clean" version).
Some time later, the devs took a different approach. Now TwilightMenu (using RTCom, I assume) automatically detects the presence of a widescreen patch and the correct version of TwlBg, and activates the proper cheat code. Although, I'm not sure

Maybe keeping the Cpad simulating the Dpad will make it work? Pretty sure it would fix the button thing, and for what I tested it wouldn't conflict with the dpad also controlling the movement as the analog appears to override the dpad.
Yeah, the issue is that keeping the DPad simulation would cause problems on versions without the DPad mod. I've updated the patches. Now it's possible to map/unmap the cpad from the dpad by pressing L+R+Down. After each press it patches TwlBg, so it's probably not a good idea to do it very often, but who knows.
Furthermore, at the launch, the patch is supposed to automatically determine if you're using that mod. In that case it will preserve the DPad emulation, but you still need to switch manually if you want to use the cpad while on the ship/train

recs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Thanks. I couldn't find this option in the latest version of TwilightMenu. The devs probably removed it completely at some point. It might be a good idea to update TwilighMenu as well.
I think it used to be implemented in a way that TwilighMenu would put/replace the patched version of TwlBg at runtime (right before the game started). This would explain why it didn't work (because TwlightMenu replaced it with its own "clean" version).
Some time later, the devs took a different approach. Now TwilightMenu (using RTCom, I assume) automatically detects the presence of a widescreen patch and the correct version of TwlBg, and activates the proper cheat code. Although, I'm not sure

Yeah, the issue is that keeping the DPad simulation would cause problems on versions without the DPad mod. I've updated the patches. Now it's possible to map/unmap the cpad from the dpad by pressing L+R+Down. After each press it patches TwlBg, so it's probably not a good idea to do it very often, but who knows.
Furthermore, at the launch, the patch is supposed to automatically determine if you're using that mod. In that case it will preserve the DPad emulation, but you still need to switch manually if you want to use the cpad while on the ship/train
Tested the updated patch with Phantom Hourglass and it recognizes the mod no problem, and the button conflict is gone! Having a separate patch would be enough but this is beyond, thank you! So cool to have an uncompromised version of the DS Zeldas playable with buttons on actual hardware.

Cornholio309

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Huh. My bad. I was unaware I was using an outdated release! I used Universal Updater to quickly uninstall the version I had just to be sure and then reinstalled it using that (based on the official update guide here).

I was having issues with reinstalling it (the download was stuck for what I felt was an odd amount of time), so I tried to use TWL_FIX as well just to confirm that side of the system was 'clean' before attempting to reinstall it again. It worked that time. I might just go ahead and try to update it manually if my version is that outdated? I don't have my 3DS in front of me and can't confirm what version I'm on.

But it appears to work fine after doing all of that. I made a small video demonstrating that it seems to work fine in Bom-Omb Battlefield. Played around with it a bit further by starting a new save and collecting a couple of Stars. Dont' seem to have any issues with it, but haven't had a chance to test the Bowser fights yet.

The new patches also seem interesting! Rayman DS isn't a fantastic port, but I'm curious if the analog control helps it any or if there's a performance boost by forcing the game into DSi Mode. Both ports of Rayman 2 (DS and 3D) are kinda yucky in a lot of ways. The Zelda titles having these patches is wonderful too since I know the touch screen controls were a detriment to many.

Reactions: shoco

shoco

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
The new patches also seem interesting! Rayman DS isn't a fantastic port, but I'm curious if the analog control helps it any or if there's a performance boost by forcing the game into DSi Mode. Both ports of Rayman 2 (DS and 3D) are kinda yucky in a lot of ways.
If I'm not hallucinating, it does run better in the DSi mode (I certainly didn't expect that), although there are still serious fps drops at times (probably most of the times). It looks like the cpu is not the main culprit here

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
This is quite interesting, can similar to be done to work on Wii U VC or something? Rayman DS maybe meaningless as a 3DS title but for Wii U VC it can be quite useful.

Chainhunter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just wanted to say thank you, especially regarding the Metroid Prime: Hunters controls!

Have tested the game for 5 minutes so far, and the gyro works better than expected.
Can actually use the touchscreen and gyro together quite well.

Maybe these new patches should be promoted somehow (as front page news?), to get others testing them.

Vendicatorealato

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I tried LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga (EUR), and the playable character moves only in "down-right" direction, both using the D-Pad and Circle Pad.
Anyway, thank you for these patches because they're awesome, in particular the gyro on Metroid Prime Hunters is really impressive.

zychion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey Shoco. Thank you for your work. I'm not using your Mario64 one but using your Metroid Prime Hunters cheat. This along with the widescreen hack makes it feel like the game should feel on a New3DS.
Also, if you're interested, when using your hack along with the widescreen hack (and possiblly other things my N3DS has running) the nub works as expected unless you push full axis. If you push lightly to medium pressure it works as expected, but if you push firmly in a direction it snaps and starts going the opposite.
Again, I can probably keep myself from pushing too hard so I can work around it but I thought I'd like to let you know if it is something you'd like to rectify.

shoco

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
This is quite interesting, can similar to be done to work on Wii U VC or something? Rayman DS maybe meaningless as a 3DS title but for Wii U VC it can be quite useful.
I guess if it were possible, someone would have done it by now ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Although I'm not familiar with the WiiU scene. My NDS part of this project was pretty trivial, so anyone could do it.

I tried LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga (EUR), and the playable character moves only in "down-right" direction, both using the D-Pad and Circle Pad.
Is it only at a certain level? It works for me (at least in the first hub location). Maybe you have some kind of weird version of the game? Could you temporarily try the "usrcheat.dat" file in the zip archive? It will show you if you have the wrong version.

Also, if you're interested, when using your hack along with the widescreen hack (and possiblly other things my N3DS has running) the nub works as expected unless you push full axis. If you push lightly to medium pressure it works as expected, but if you push firmly in a direction it snaps and starts going the opposite.
Thank you. Yes, I'm interested. It looks like the nub's X or Y goes beyond the range of the signed byte, causing it to flip the sign. I can't reproduce it (something with my console's nub, it seems), but if that's the problem, I'll be able to fix it quite easily later.

how can you combine all this on one database file?
Well, you can create one manually in "r4cce" and copy-paste all text files. Or you can automatize it with a script. I did one before for myself. It's supposed to work, although Zeldas cheats are a bit outdated

Attachments

• usrcheat.dat.zip
    11 KB · Views: 43
Reactions: MORTNSSS and DSoryu

MORTNSSS

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
thanks it helps me a lot, now finally can play super Mario 64 ds in a optimal way preserving my cheatcodes and all thanks to you :bow::yay3ds:

zychion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you. Yes, I'm interested. It looks like the nub's X or Y goes beyond the range of the signed byte, causing it to flip the sign. I can't reproduce it (something with my console's nub, it seems), but if that's the problem, I'll be able to fix it quite easily later.
Is there some program that I could install on my N3DS that would give the values that my nub gives so that we could compare instead of you just having to guess?

At the moment I'm guessing it's a difference between N3DS and N2DS but perhaps the Circle Pad attachment is different again. Possibly different regions could be different, right? Kind of like the IPS or non-IPS screens. You never really know what you're getting but the firmware/software sorts it all out for you.

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
I guess if it were possible, someone would have done it by now ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Although I'm not familiar with the WiiU scene. My NDS part of this project was pretty trivial, so anyone could do it.
Well, I know Super Mario 64 DS did it a couple of years ago, unfortunately it has to apply to the official vc version so I dunno how to rip it and apply it on other games like Rayman DS

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    :wacko: rolling?
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    make up his mind dude
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Go gay there I made up his mind
    :rofl2::tpi::rofl2: I meant his eyes :tpi::rofl2::tpi:
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    :toot:blow me then @K3Nv2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I'm straight but you're more than welcome to blow ancientboi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    LOL, which straight person does not make gay jokes?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm straight but we can whack dicks together
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    nah, I'm gud over here, no need for sword fights

:glare:
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Dick slang
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    See ancientboi already has a crush on you
    [brings my ⚔️ ] On Guard :D:evil::wub:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Looks more like a dagger to me
    Pffffft I have a crush on everybody
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I see no problem, unless i happen to grow another gender one day. Too bad it ain't now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thought you already had both hotswappable gender fluid
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Enjoy whatever life chucks your way

:teach:
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Deeze nuts
    Dem Nutz
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    'Em nutters
    M&M nutz
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Slim anus nutter
    :unsure::unsure::unsure: I might go buy them M&M w/nuts. I gotta go out to pay the rent anyway
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :unsure::unsure::unsure: I might go buy them M&M w/nuts. I gotta go out to pay the rent anyway