Gaming Classic Doom players, what is your preferred setup?

ChiefReginod

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never use anything but Crispy Doom with an original Xbox controller-S. I use D-pad controls only. I've never liked mouse controls and I don't know how anyone can play Doom with freelook, but different strokes for different folks. I guess I'm a bit of a purist aside from the slightly higher resolution in Crispy. Also, I always disable the music. Ultra-Violence, no saves and pistol start every level.

Which source port do you use, what is your control setup, and are there any peculiarities to your setup that aren't all that common?

Reactions: XDel

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only way it was meant to be played of course..

17056508666_b9beecd80b_b.jpg

Reactions: Veho

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I play DOOM in every form I can, Crispy DOOM on up to GzDOOM, Joypad, Keyboard and Mouse, Free Look, no Free Look, Jump, No Jump, you name it, I will play it! And that is the beauty of DOOM, there is the option of suffering it under DOSBOX if you wish, or you can modernize the hell out of it if you wish. There is no end of combinations between having the engine and so many wonderful MODs. DOOM was the game engine to beat all game engines!

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
It's on my'i want to try it' for my steam deck. Thus far, I've only used it on a computer (Linux mint a few years ago, just as a check for dos-box). Never rebound keys for it either. Though that obviously changes on the deck. :)

The only way it was meant to be played of course..

View attachment 318051
... But doom was a MS-DOS game. Heck, it even pokes fun at it. :P

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
... But doom was a MS-DOS game. Heck, it even pokes fun at it. :P
Believe it or not Doom was actually developed on NeXT hardware before it ended up on x86/DOS systems. Mainly because Carmack had a fetish for high end computing hardware and the NeXT workstations at the time were considered the top of the line.

Here's another article about it more with a quote:
"I have no regrets at all about developing Doom on a NeXT!

I bought our first NeXT (a ColorStation) out of personal interest. Jason Blochowiak had talked to me about the advantages of Unix-based systems from his time in college and I was interested in seeing what Steve Jobs' next big thing was. It is funny to look back; I can remember honestly wondering what the advantages of a real multi-process development environment would be over the DOS and older Apple environments that we were using. Actually, using the NeXT was an eye-opener, and it was quickly clear to me that it had a lot of tangible advantages for us, so we moved everything but pixel art (which was still done in Deluxe Paint on DOS) over. Using Interface Builder for our game editors was a NeXT unique advantage, but most Unix systems would have provided similar general purpose software development advantages (the debugger wasn’t nearly as good as Turbo Debugger 386, though!) Kevin Cloud even did our game manuals, starting with Wolfenstein 3D, in Framemaker on a NeXT.
"

Another funny thing about all this was that initally Jobs himself did not actually want to sell any systems over to Carmack as he wanted his hardware to be seen as serious computational hardware for labs or colleges, not for game development which he saw as being "underutilized and/or disrespectful of the seriousness that he wanted his brand to be associated with". Despite the fact that with it one of the greatest FPS's of all time came to be as a result of being made on one. Jobs also rejected the idea that Carmack put a "Made with NeXTSTEP" badge on copies of Doom for the very same reason. Honestly his loss given how historically important that game would end up being. :rofl2:

DaFixer

Dare to be stupid
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I really like playing Doom/Doom2 with a keyboard, like how I played back in the day on a Dell 486 DX 66mhz PC.
There so many ways to play those games, I like the basic way ;)

Mark McDonut

GBATemp's Resident Ghostbuster
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another funny thing about all this was that initally Jobs himself did not actually want to sell any systems over to Carmack as he wanted his hardware to be seen as serious computational hardware for labs or colleges, not for game development which he saw as being "underutilized and/or disrespectful of the seriousness that he wanted his brand to be associated with". Despite the fact that with it one of the greatest FPS's of all time came to be as a result of being made on one. Jobs also rejected the idea that Carmack put a "Made with NeXTSTEP" badge on copies of Doom for the very same reason. Honestly his loss given how historically important that game would end up being. :rofl2:
I always found this part of the history kinda funny considering how jobs destroyed that IBM guy in his interview and personally insulted him for being such a business-head SUPER SERIOUS IBM person, who was just a guy trying to land a good next spot in his career.

I always found Carmack much more of an inspirational person, he can be a genius without being an outright turd to other people like Jobs was.

Reactions: Dr_Faustus

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo