Homebrew Completely replace gamepad with android tablet

Zhongtiao1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know that drc sim exists, but is there a way to completely replace the gamepad with a cheap android tablet? Drc sim requires a PC.

I'm considering making a "portable" wii u and would like to have dual screens without needing to disassemble a gamepad.

Reactions: Moon164

Quincy

Your own personal guitarist :3
Trophies
Website
youtek.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
theoretically there are ways to run linux apps on android, although I do not know for sure if difference in architecture types would cause problems with that. Also, I'm pretty sure there are Linux-sporting tablets out there as well.

Zhongtiao1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
theoretically there are ways to run linux apps on android, although I do not know for sure if difference in architecture types would cause problems with that. Also, I'm pretty sure there are Linux-sporting tablets out there as well.

There are linux tablets, but none that are cheap. You can get a cheap android tablet for under $50 new

Reactions: Quincy

Quincy

Your own personal guitarist :3
Trophies
Website
youtek.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
Doesn't PINE64 sport something line a tablet? They do have the PinePhone which runs Linux (and some other quite unique devices like the Pinebook Pro)

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thee are cheap tablets available which allow to install linux on them. Also Andoid IS Linux, so with a rooted device you should be able to run linux apps. This might require some hacking though.

The most important part is another: DRC-SIM won't wok with every wifi hardware: https://github.com/rolandoislas/drc-sim/wiki/Wireless-Interface - Thanks good Android is Linux so this is easy to check. Example from my mobile phone:
Screenshot_20210513-151005_Terminal_Emulator.png

So AP interface mode is supported!

Screenshot_20210513-151014_Terminal_Emulator.png

But 5 Ghz band is not. So DRC-SIM couldn't be used here.

Zhongtiao1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thee are cheap tablets available which allow to install linux on them. Also Andoid IS Linux, so with a rooted device you should be able to run linux apps. This might require some hacking though.

The most important part is another: DRC-SIM won't wok with every wifi hardware: https://github.com/rolandoislas/drc-sim/wiki/Wireless-Interface - Thanks good Android is Linux so this is easy to check. Example from my mobile phone:
View attachment 262799
So AP interface mode is supported!

View attachment 262800
But 5 Ghz band is not. So DRC-SIM couldn't be used here.

With android rhough, it likes to arbitrarily shut down background processes. That's why I'd like it to be an android specific build. If the server and client could be combined, the closing issue wouldn't matter

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...