Votes: 128 51.0%

• Total voters

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
SO to summarize, the most common "evidence" that this is fake:

1. Discrepancy between reported storage and the fact that MK8D is installed: most likely dues to the fact that the gamer is merely a placeholder and is not part of the testing. The console is running beta software and so is most likely being reflashed constantly - and a full game would unnecessarily increase reflashing times and download sizes, and may distract from actual testing. These placeholders also explain why Youtube uses an older style icon.

2. Inconsistencies in the font being used: it's more than likely that the Switch has more than one internal font, the official font and an older development/obsolete font that was being used while the official font was still being tweaked. It's perfectly plausible that in new system elements the alternate font is used, either because the alternate is "safer" (unlikely to cause issues but isn't as pretty) or simply because the developer intends to tweak it later - ensuring that all UI elements match perfectly would have a much lower priority then ensuring the new elements actually function as expected.

3. Doubt about Nintendo releasing several new features at once: it has been nearly a year since the Switch first launched, and it's more than likely Nintendo would make an Anniversary update that includes the features promised at launch. Initially Nintendo would be focused on getting the system out the door and would place priority on a functioning system over a fully featured system, and now that the system is out and critical bugs have been dealt with they are free to work full tilt on adding the features that they had to skip on launch (Switch has had rudimentary theme support since launch, VC was always inevitable, and everyone knows that using your phone for chat was a stupid hack.

I would have to say that this is real just due to the sheer magnitude of work that would have to go into this to fake it. Faking a picture is easy as you can generally make most things based on stock photos and five minutes in photoshop or gimp. But a video? That takes time, and there is a lot of things going on in the video that would take time to perfectly replicate. You can’t just superimpose some stuff on top of a stock video and hope for the best A good example is the pulsing blue selection box. Honestly if this was fake this would be the best evidence – the tempo is correct but the animation is not smooth (appears to be due to the video being compressed and lossy). So much of the UI would literally have to be made from scratch, and painstakingly duplicated to match the official UI perfectly. Every element would have to be very closely looked at to ensure that it looks identical, is positioned perfectly, and is perfectly animated. Several hours along would have to be spent animating the settings icon’s “shake” when settings is launched. Everything is painstaking set up to act like the real thing, and not just “if Nintendo did this then it would probably look like that” but “oh I see, Nintendo planned from the start for this to be there”

Honestly, I think it would be interesting to ask a designer for a quote for how much it would cost him and how long it would take to replicate this video from scratch pixel perfect, using only what he can find on the internet. I imagine his answer would be “too much” and “too long”

rileysrjay

Connoisseur of all things Morshu
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, this is interesting:
https://gonintendo.com/stories/299109
I know they could be fixing stuff relating to meltdown and Spectre and other maintenance, but I kinda think that they're taking it down to get ready for the possible launch of the online service? Maybe they announce in the direct on the 11th that the online service is launching with this update in February?

Reactions: PrincessLillie

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know they could be fixing stuff relating to meltdown and Spectre and other maintenance, but I kinda think that they're taking it down to get ready for the possible launch of the online service? Maybe they announce in the direct on the 11th that the online service is launching with this update in February?
Those seem to mostly affect 3ds and wii u, with only one of those outage slots listing switch being affected

Reactions: rileysrjay

WaterDemonBaku

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I don't think it's for their network services, Online play of some software, it's probably just a few bugs for some stuff.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
watch N throw a wrech into things and make online activation of new games manditory if your banned cause of that mod chip no new games for you
You're giving Nintendo too much credit.

Reactions: TheCyberQuake

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
watch N throw a wrech into things and make online activation of new games manditory if your banned cause of that mod chip no new games for you
It'd be transparent to normal users if it is implemented. I can see them locking down online access completely but you will still be able to play your offline games offline.

Just means that the hackers cannot play Pokémon or anything online.

Come to think about it... How hard would it be for Nintendo to implement a system where whenever you play a game between Switches directly (like 3DS local play), the genuine consoles keep track of all identification codes for systems and games it connects to then uploads then to Nintendo, who can then issue global blacklists so that online consoles will refuse to do local play with blacklisted hacked consoles?

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It'd be transparent to normal users if it is implemented. I can see them locking down online access completely but you will still be able to play your offline games offline.

Come to think about it... How hard would it be for Nintendo to implement a system where whenever you play a game between Switches directly (like 3DS local play), the genuine consoles keep track of all identification codes for systems and games it connects to then uploads then to Nintendo, who can then issue global blacklists so that online consoles will refuse to do local play with blacklisted hacked consoles?

DRM like that just isn't worth it.

Reactions: Kioku

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States

Mate it's Nintendo. Again, too much credit.

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
SO to summarize, the most common "evidence" that this is fake:

1. Discrepancy between reported storage and the fact that MK8D is installed: most likely dues to the fact that the gamer is merely a placeholder and is not part of the testing. The console is running beta software and so is most likely being reflashed constantly - and a full game would unnecessarily increase reflashing times and download sizes, and may distract from actual testing. These placeholders also explain why Youtube uses an older style icon.

2. Inconsistencies in the font being used: it's more than likely that the Switch has more than one internal font, the official font and an older development/obsolete font that was being used while the official font was still being tweaked. It's perfectly plausible that in new system elements the alternate font is used, either because the alternate is "safer" (unlikely to cause issues but isn't as pretty) or simply because the developer intends to tweak it later - ensuring that all UI elements match perfectly would have a much lower priority then ensuring the new elements actually function as expected.

3. Doubt about Nintendo releasing several new features at once: it has been nearly a year since the Switch first launched, and it's more than likely Nintendo would make an Anniversary update that includes the features promised at launch. Initially Nintendo would be focused on getting the system out the door and would place priority on a functioning system over a fully featured system, and now that the system is out and critical bugs have been dealt with they are free to work full tilt on adding the features that they had to skip on launch (Switch has had rudimentary theme support since launch, VC was always inevitable, and everyone knows that using your phone for chat was a stupid hack.

I would have to say that this is real just due to the sheer magnitude of work that would have to go into this to fake it. Faking a picture is easy as you can generally make most things based on stock photos and five minutes in photoshop or gimp. But a video? That takes time, and there is a lot of things going on in the video that would take time to perfectly replicate. You can’t just superimpose some stuff on top of a stock video and hope for the best A good example is the pulsing blue selection box. Honestly if this was fake this would be the best evidence – the tempo is correct but the animation is not smooth (appears to be due to the video being compressed and lossy). So much of the UI would literally have to be made from scratch, and painstakingly duplicated to match the official UI perfectly. Every element would have to be very closely looked at to ensure that it looks identical, is positioned perfectly, and is perfectly animated. Several hours along would have to be spent animating the settings icon’s “shake” when settings is launched. Everything is painstaking set up to act like the real thing, and not just “if Nintendo did this then it would probably look like that” but “oh I see, Nintendo planned from the start for this to be there”

Honestly, I think it would be interesting to ask a designer for a quote for how much it would cost him and how long it would take to replicate this video from scratch pixel perfect, using only what he can find on the internet. I imagine his answer would be “too much” and “too long”
You essentially just proved every inconsistency with it to be false! Good job.

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
DRM like that just isn't worth it.
I think it would just be a matter of assigning a unique code to each game then keeping a record of the codes with the download/purchase history of each account/console. If a mismatch is found a ban can be issued. Copied or emulated cartridge games would be a little trickier, but still could be checked for simultaneous usage. If Nintendo has enough evidence to be absolutely certain the console has been hacked or compromised they can ban it from online, like they do with the 3DS.

The third hand blacklisting would be doable, but should really be more lenient (such as popping up an alert warning of shenanigans instead of outright refusing to connect to that particular console or game) - and no kill code, as that can be abused to affect genuine consoles.

Reactions: PrincessLillie

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
remember it was I think black ops 3 that needed activation to curb used game sales? (bad move i know) but this isn't about used games it's about combatting piracy and i feel any court would go in nintendo's favor (except the 1% non internet users) but the majority of filed law suits would be by pirates,that said another thing came to mind they're doing the switch right (so far) by pushing out updates with actual added features

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it would just be a matter of assigning a unique code to each game then keeping a record of the codes with the download/purchase history of each account/console. If a mismatch is found a ban can be issued. Copied or emulated cartridge games would be a little trickier, but still could be checked for simultaneous usage. If Nintendo has enough evidence to be absolutely certain the console has been hacked or compromised they can ban it from online, like they do with the 3DS.

The third hand blacklisting would be doable, but should really be more lenient (such as popping up an alert warning of shenanigans instead of outright refusing to connect to that particular console or game) - and no kill code, as that can be abused to affect genuine consoles.

That's totally not draconian BS at all, yeah, not worth it. Nintendo's perfectly fine doing what they've been doing, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

unvaluablespace

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure I will get shot down for this, but I feel like this is legit. I feel like all the wrong things are "inconsistent" when it comes to edited videos. Sure, things like file sizes, the letter "g" font, etc don't make sense, but if the video is edited, seems like the creator took a little too much care in editing the video itself rather than the content. I mean, if you were going to go through all that effort, why overlook things like file size and font letters, when I'm sure the person would know that the video is going to be picked apart.

The transitions in the menu itself all look very convincing to me. An example is when the user unplugs the headset, the "Not connected to microphone" disappears and reappears with the same transition effects and frames when the user pops in and out of the options menu, as when everything else disappears in reappears throughout the video. Not only in that particular section, but compared to other timeframes as well. Not saying that level of editing is impossible, but damn if it just doesn't look that good between every menu fade, slide, etc.

Then there's the features. I'm not sure about everything else, but I feel like if you are going to create a fake video showing off user's most requested features, things like achievement systems, actually showing off a working browser, etc, should be listed higher than things like "sorting folder options" or even "themes". I also think that missing things like file size and a font letter, seem a bit too obvious when the user goes out of there way to create these extra features, complete with descriptions. "Your voice will be included in video captures. under the voice sharing feature in options. I would have taken a bit more care about getting file sizes correct and letter fonts than to add a random description like that. Matter of fact, I haven't really heard users ask for voice input during video recordings. Just for voice chat with friends and in game in general.

I'm no video editor, so I might be wrong on these things, although Nintendo's own reveal trailer from last year was far from perfect. Not the off centered, one side almost to the edge screen, and the cut into Karen's shirt. Then again, I guess you can't really compare a moving live video to a completely stationary one:

Attachments

• Switch off centered.JPG
    Switch off centered.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 227
  • Switch cut in.JPG
    Switch cut in.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 198

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.