• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Covid-19 vaccine

Will you get the vaccine?

• Yes

Votes: 500 67.1%
  • No

Votes: 245 32.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
There's no substantive evidence that the vaccines aren't safe or effective.

There is very strong evidence they are safe and effective.

There is substantive evidence that we don’t know if the vaccines are responsible for killing people or not. You have to ignore this to field the claim that vaccines are safe.

Things can, in fact, be demonstrated to be safe and/or effective scientifically. These are quantifiable metrics that are in science's domain. Try again.

You use the words subjectively depending on the context of the conversation. Most of the time, the claim of safety is strictly relative to statistics regarding Covid. In regards to the vaccine, itself, being “safe” that’s already shot down by the admission of side-effects.

As for effectiveness, I guess 3 months is the upper limit in terms of duration. In terms of preventing people from contracting it, and spreading it (Covid); those are different measures for the same word. Just because you can use words in scientific fashion doesn’t mean you are using them scientifically every time you parrot them. You have been using “safe and effective” as a catchphrase.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is substantive evidence that we don’t know if the vaccines are responsible for killing people or not.
I don't think you know what the word "evidence" means, because that isn't how evidence works. Regardless, we have plenty of evidence that the vaccines are not killing people.

You use the words subjectively depending on the context of the conversation. Most of the time, the claim of safety is strictly relative to statistics regarding Covid. In regards to the vaccine, itself, being “safe” that’s already shot down by the admission of side-effects.
"Don't use seatbelts. The cost/benefit calculation only works relative to your safety in a car accident." Lol.

I've also been clear this whole time that there are significant risks of minor side effects, and these side effects are evidence that your immune system is appropriately responding to the vaccine. In other words, the vaccine is working. What I've been responding to are your claims that the vaccines have, or are likely to have, significant risks of serious side effects and death.

When you repeatedly make these unsubstantiated and conspiratorial claims, presumably by sitting on your keyboard and farting into it, I feel the need to correct you. I don't want people who read the posts in this thread to see your misinformation, not get vaccinated, and then become one of the thousands of people who die per day because of vaccine misinformation.

As for effectiveness, I guess 3 months is the upper limit in terms of duration. In terms of preventing people from contracting it, and spreading it (Covid); those are different measures for the same word.
None of this contradicts the scientifically established efficacy of the vaccines, but I'm not surprised. You aren't even trying anymore.

The efficacy of the vaccines last longer than three months, albeit there is waning efficacy over time. One is significantly less likely to die of COVID-19 even if they were fully vaccinated a year ago but haven't received a booster. The booster, however, is highly recommended, and you're even less likely to die from COVID-19 with it.

Just because you can use words in scientific fashion doesn’t mean you are using them scientifically every time you parrot them. You have been using “safe and effective” as a catchphrase.
I haven't used the words "safe" or "effective" in any other context other than a scientifically quantifiable one. That's kind of the whole point.

I know it's inconvenient for you that your position is an inherently anti-scientific one, but that doesn't mean the rest of us have rejected science.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I don't think you know what the word "evidence" means, because that isn't how evidence works. Regardless, we have plenty of evidence that the vaccines are not killing people.
A definitive claim of safety merits that those cases are concluded to not being due to the vaccine. It is real data that contradict the claim, so it cannot be ignored.

You can skim away the “we don’t know” factor when determining to send someone to jail.

But the vaccine and claims of its safety do not get the benefit of the doubt.

None of this contradicts the scientifically established efficacy of the vaccines
You are right. But what the science says, and what it means for the real world application look like two different things. “The science” tests have a definite start and finish to curate data. We have no reason to expect there to be an end, so “the science” saying they are safe and effective is losing relevance every day as the conditions change. It comes to the point that you are your own misinformation if you aren’t fully informed with the threshold of how many boosters is good for the body, or the current dominating strain, its landscape, its complications and mortality. Basically, in this ongoing science experiment, your conclusions are really only hypotheses.

What I've been responding to are your claims that the vaccines have, or are likely to have, significant risks of serious side effects and death.

Well, I’ve been responding to claims that they are definitely safe, and that nobody has anything to worry about by jumping into the lifetime regiment of vaccination boosters. Also, there’s data that a significant number of people may or may not have died from the vaccine.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Don't use seatbelts. The cost/benefit calculation only works relative to your safety in a car accident." Lol.

I've also been clear this whole time that there are significant risks of minor side effects, and these side effects are evidence that your immune system is appropriately responding to the vaccine. In other words, the vaccine is working. What I've been responding to are your claims that the vaccines have, or are likely to have, significant risks of serious side effects and death.
What he said, is basically just another admission of being anti-medicine.

Reactions: Lacius

Dragon91Nippon

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
First of all No I'm not answering this question, both groups here can hate me equally I don't care

Secondly, why the hell do we do these threads here anyway, Everyone always becomes extremely salty and contemptful towards each other. It seems very unhealthy for this community since after these threads we usually all hate each other at the end of these threads due to differing opinions, at least to some degree. I could quote those with the Most harsh opinions here to prove this (don't worry both sides would be included, I won't favor either side) but I won't because I don't want to mass ping people here.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
One of the biggest reasons why Covid is still spreading to the vaccinated is because the current vaccines aren’t as effective on recent variants. This is the purpose of getting boosters, to increase the effectiveness of the vaccines.
If it wasn't effective the first times, what's to say it is more effective the 3rd or 4th time?

I've taken the initial doses, but to me it kind of seems like the booster doses are just a form of doubling down on something that ultimately isn't all that effective anymore.

kekkius

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
a

One of the biggest reasons why Covid is still spreading to the vaccinated is because the current vaccines aren’t as effective on recent variants. This is the purpose of getting boosters, to increase the effectiveness of the vaccines. There’s also the reason of people acting like the vaccines make them immune and doing shit like going to parties/gatherings and letting their guard time. As for the whole, “I’ve never gotten it,” have you been tested? Did you get tested whenever you felt sick or possibly off? There’s always a slight chance that you were asymptomatic. There’s just as much of a chance that you’ve never gotten it, but without regular testing, that’s something that needs be considered.
Never felt sick, but got tested every 2 days for work from the 15 October (same for my friends)....in Italy almost everyone have done the "booster", but lemme explain something in my life experience they get COVID way more easy, we got the last "wave" of COVID as soon as they started taking the 3rd shot, to this day 6/2 in Italy you pay 15 euro per test the salary is 1000 euro month, living expenses are 1200 euro month, people with booster take COVID easily than others, people understood that vaccines do not work, but still get them because everyone is POOR and have no time to protest because they need to make money..... From the 15/2 in Italy non vaccinated people can't work anymore, from last august they can only go to grocery store, in my town 94% 2 shots, 85% 3 shots, still 1 case every 20 people, in Italy we got almost 200000 case per day everyday for the last month, soon we are going to have a big economic crisis and people keep telling them self that vaccines work, I'm the living proof that this is bullshit, I'm not afraid of viruses and I'm not afraid of medicines, i just don't give a fluk, i understand vaccinated people, they are afraid of long term side effects... This message was written as soon as I woke up, sorry for the mess ....in the end, if you(everyone) want the shot get shot, but stop talking and keep on living normally, stop making a fuss over a virus that will keep on exist even after we are extinct, UNGABUNGA me will keep on living.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
If it wasn't effective the first times, what's to say it is more effective the 3rd or 4th time?

I've taken the initial doses, but to me it kind of seems like the booster doses are just a form of doubling down on something that ultimately is not that effective anymore.
Boosters help with covering more recent mutations that previous shots are less effective with. Technically the initial shots are still effective against lessening the effects of newer variants but it’s more effective with boosters.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Boosters help with covering more recent mutations that previous shots are less effective with. Technically the initial shots are still effective against lessening the effects of newer variants but it’s more effective with boosters.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it was my understanding that the current boosters are still the same vaccines as the first doses?

Reactions: tabzer

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it was my understanding that the current boosters are still the same vaccines as the first doses?
Did a quick search and I am not actually sure but it looks like they are basically updated versions of the OG vaccines. Unfortunately, I am not actually that familiar with anything around this kind of question. I would definitely look that one up or ask a professional who might be able to answer that better.

Reactions: tabzer

kekkius

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Did a quick search and I am not actually sure but it looks like they are basically updated versions of the OG vaccines. Unfortunately, I am not actually that familiar with anything around this kind of question. I would definitely look that one up or ask a professional who might be able to answer that better.
The 3rd is the same as the previous....new one will come in the end of March with the 4th doses....here in Italy, i do not know elsewhere. Also omicron has spike mutations over 30 of them, so the old vaccines do not work, because they based the vaccines on protein spike....the more you know....just to be clear I read a lot of medicine books in the past 2 year(I'm not completely ungabunga), to understand better the situation, in synthesis the vaccines work to some extent, triggering the immune system to attack some protein receptors (same as the virus), so when you get COVID your immune system is already attacking that's the reason you need more than 1, this technology exist from '87 and will be implemented in future common cancer vaccines, this is just the first time using it on humans, the problem is not the shot, but the fact that you need it again and again and again, because the virus will not magically vanish.

Last edited by kekkius,

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I thought everyone knew that boosters weren't tailored for a new variant, but more of the same stuff. That's why some countries, like Canada for example, bought 10x the vaccines than there are residents. (4x back in 2020). The boosters were already a pre-planned contingency method to keep resistance high when it starts to wane.

Last edited by tabzer,

GBAer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yea, the vaccine cultists are the biggest threat right now. Here in Germany, if you got your booster shot, you don't need a negative test to do whatever you want (going to a restaurant, visiting a gym, watching a movie in the cinema, and so on). At the same time, it is a known fact, that they spread covid the same way the unvaccinated do, while the unvaccined are isolated from almost anything. Not even being able to visit a hardware store. They even have to test themselves everyday to be able to go to work.
The tabloid press still blaming the unvaccinated for the spread. And the retarded german population believe that obviously made up agenda.
Totally agree. I'd much rather be in a room full of the the unvaccinated, that have had a negative test, than a room full of triple jabbed vaccine cultists that haven't been tested.

Reactions: tpax

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
While it's true that vaccinated people like Lacius may have spread Covid 3x the amount of someone who was infected once does, and that contradictions exists in mandate policies... Anxiety and fear of either or is not the basis to be making rational decisions, and discrimination against someone isn't going to make your life stop sucking.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A definitive claim of safety merits that those cases are concluded to not being due to the vaccine. It is real data that contradict the claim, so it cannot be ignored.

You can skim away the “we don’t know” factor when determining to send someone to jail.

But the vaccine and claims of its safety do not get the benefit of the doubt.
Numerous replicable and peer-reviewed studies show the vaccines are safe and effective. We also know from the evidence that there has been no increase in the frequency of any serious health condition since the beginning of the pandemic that hasn't already been attributed to something (e.g. COVID-19). I love how you repeatedly and shamelessly keep ignoring this part since the reality of the situation doesn't fit well with your conspiratorial narrative. It makes me laugh.

The vaccines have been demonstrated to be safe, and the claims that they aren't or "we don't know" have been debunked.

You are right. But what the science says, and what it means for the real world application look like two different things. “The science” tests have a definite start and finish to curate data. We have no reason to expect there to be an end, so “the science” saying they are safe and effective is losing relevance every day as the conditions change. It comes to the point that you are your own misinformation if you aren’t fully informed with the threshold of how many boosters is good for the body, or the current dominating strain, its landscape, its complications and mortality. Basically, in this ongoing science experiment, your conclusions are really only hypotheses.
If you get vaccinated now, you will always be one or two doses behind everybody else, which means there will always be ample evidence of the safety and efficacy of the vaccines before you get another dose. With that concern and all others out of the way, please let us know how your first dose goes. :)

I can't believe I have to say this, but whether or not the safety of a 48th dose has been established is irrelevant to whether or not the safety of a first, second, third, or fourth dose has been established.

Well, I’ve been responding to claims that they are definitely safe, and that nobody has anything to worry about by jumping into the lifetime regiment of vaccination boosters.
The vaccines have been established to be as safe or safer than most commonly prescribed medical treatments.

Also, there’s data that a significant number of people may or may not have died from the vaccine.
There is zero data that any significant number of people have died from the vaccines, there is no data I'm aware of that anyone has died from an mRNA COVID-19 vaccine, and we have data that contradicts the claim that any significant number of people have died from the vaccines.

Not only are you spewing unsubstantiated conspiracy theories, but you're spewing debunked unsubstantiated conspiracy theories.

I've taken the initial doses, but to me it kind of seems like the booster doses are just a form of doubling down on something that ultimately isn't all that effective anymore.
Although the initial two doses continue to be effective at keeping people from suffering serious illness and death, boosters have been shown to be significantly more effective at keeping people out of the hospital and from dying than the initial two doses alone.

They are.

While it's true that vaccinated people like Lacius may have spread Covid 3x the amount of someone who was infected once does, and that contradictions exists in mandate policies... Anxiety and fear of either or is not the basis to be making rational decisions, and discrimination against someone isn't going to make your life stop sucking.
Since a vaccinated person is less likely to contract the disease than their unvaccinated counterparts, the unvaccinated (who didn't already have the disease) are more likely to catch and spread the disease.

Before the variants, a vaccinated person was less likely to contract the disease than an unvaccinated person with natural immunity alone.

With the variants, natural immunity offers somewhat more protection than vaccination alone, but vaccination plus natural immunity offers significantly better protection than natural immunity alone. Vaccination, of course, still offers significantly higher protection than not being vaccinated and not having natural immunity.

Even with the variants, the vaccine continues to be the safest and most effective way of reducing the spread of COVID-19, and it's also the best way to reduce one's odds of serious illness or death. In order to have natural immunity in the first place, you have to catch and potentially spread the disease.

Totally agree. I'd much rather be in a room full of the the unvaccinated, that have had a negative test, than a room full of triple jabbed vaccine cultists that haven't been tested.
If we stop comparing apples and oranges, I would rather be in a room of vaccinated people with negative tests than in a room of unvaccinated people with negative tests.

Last edited by Lacius,

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There are no updated versions. The booster terminology is a bit misleading in that it is merely another dose of the vaccine, but it may be beneficial if your 3rd shot is of a different vaccine than the previous 2. I got 2 AZ and then my "booster" was Pfizer (*spit*) and I was told that was deliberate to try to provide the best coverage. I have no idea if any of it is supported by actual data or is just based on modelling.

The difference for me was that I still acted as though I was unvaccinated whenever I went out and was a lot more careful than some other people that thought they were invincible once vaccinated.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
There are no updated versions. The booster terminology is a bit misleading in that it is merely another dose of the vaccine, but it may be beneficial if your 3rd shot is of a different vaccine than the previous 2. I got 2 AZ and then my "booster" was Pfizer (*spit*) and I was told that was deliberate to try to provide the best coverage. I have no idea if any of it is supported by actual data or is just based on modelling.

The difference for me was that I still acted as though I was unvaccinated whenever I went out and was a lot more careful than some other people that thought they were invincible once vaccinated.
Thanks for correcting me. I am not even going to pretend I was even close there.

Reactions: RocaBOT

RocaBOT

Yo best puppy (but automated 🙃)
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Look peeps, that's how you do it to recognise when you talked out of your ass. A thing none of you vaccine-deniers ever did in this thread, though you were shown to spread misinformation time and time again.
You'd be well to remember how it's done, and that it is what science does all the time (review the position of the consensus in light of the data and facts, which you do not) 🙃

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: now i'm not gay, but hear me out