• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Democratic Debates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The economy is doing great.
If you go by the metric of the stock market or employment numbers, sure. The reality is that we've lost tons of manufacturing jobs to other countries under Trump, farmers are suffering, and people are having to work multiple jobs to get by because the minimum wage hasn't been raised for a record amount of time. The working class is doing very poorly, and the middle class is shrinking at an exponential rate. Tariffs are the same as taxes on the American people, and they certainly aren't helping matters.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: Lacius

cots

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because I respond, could you explain what you specifically mean by made up LGBTQ issue?

A minor issue used to invoke an emotional response for the purpose of controlling others while doing no good for the actual minority in question. I know because I fit under the LGBTQ demographic. Saying it's a major civil rights issue is an insult to actual civil rights issue. Because the rights of a very small minority should be compared to the enslavement of an entire race. Give me a break.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A minor issue used to invoke an emotional response for the purpose of controlling others while doing no good for the actual minority in question. I know because I fit under the LGBTQ demographic. Saying it's a major civil rights issue is an insult to actual civil rights issue. Because the rights of a very small minority should be compared to the enslavement of an entire race. Give me a break.
I'm not sure whether or not you're being serious. Regardless, LGBT rights are a real issue.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
This is the guy that formed the Proud Boys by the way. Calling video games for children and are grown up man babies. Go build a table he says. Movies and TV is bad. The Ultimate Troll, lol.
Less a troll and more completely batshit insane. Dude dropped his pants and shoved a dildo up his ass on camera. The point supposedly being to prove that he doesn't hate gays.

Anyway, Gavin McInnes isn't even a part of the Proud Boys any more, he quit the group after the FBI categorized them as having ties to white nationalism.

Last edited by Xzi,

cots

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you go by the metric of the stock market or employment numbers, sure. The reality is that we've lost tons of manufacturing jobs to other countries under Trump, farmers are suffering, and people are having to work multiple jobs to get by because the minimum wage hasn't been raised for a record amount of time. The working class is doing very poorly, and the middle class is shrinking at an exponential rate. Tariffs are the same as taxes on the American people, and they certainly aren't helping matters.

Those other issues you mentioned don't personally effect me. Overall we're doing better and that is what matters to me. If I was being personally effected in a major way I might have a different opinion. I don't care if I have to pay more for cheap garbage from China. Maybe the slighty expensive alternative will last more than 2 years therefore would be a better investment. People have had to work multiple jobs for years now to get by if they're working at low wage places. That's not a Republican inclusive issue. Locally our minimum wage increased to a much larger amount and guess what? Businesses cut hours and all of the prices went up. I would have preferred to get paid more and keep my hours without every business raising prices due to having to pay their employees more, but that's not how it played out. Overall things are better and that's what matters to me.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Those other issues you mentioned don't personally effect me.
Guess who they do affect? The key states of Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania. If Trump can't win those, he can't win in 2020. And again, polling is showing him losing those states badly right now, to any of the top tier Dem candidates.

Overall things are better and that's what matters to me.
But how are they better, exactly? You're excusing away all the things he's made worse, but you aren't providing any examples of what he's made better.

Hell, this even ties back in to gaming, as Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo all sent a joint letter to the Trump administration opposing his tariffs. Next-gen consoles are going to be way more expensive than they need to be if the tariffs stay in place.

Last edited by Xzi,

cots

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guess who they do affect? The key states of Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania. If Trump can't win those, he can't win in 2020. And again, polling is showing him losing those states badly right now, to any of the top tier Dem candidates.

But how are they better, exactly? You're excusing away all the things he's made worse, but you aren't providing any examples of what he's made better.

Hell, this even ties back in to gaming, as Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo all sent a joint letter to the Trump administration opposing his tariffs. Next-gen consoles are going to be way more expensive than they need to be if the tariffs stay in place.

I don't mind paying more in the short term for my next-gen console if in the end it will help out our economy. If we've truly been have on the losing side of the trade deals then it's time to renegotiate. All these people calling simply renegotiating "trade wars" and claiming we're headed into nuclear armageddon are the same lunatics that said we'd have run out of oil by now and due to climate change then world should have ended back in the late 90s. Wait now the date has changed. "The sky is falling " screams the chicken with his head cut off.

Infasis on the word chicken aka coward.

About the polls which are usually inaccurate so I don't pay much attention to them and you yourself have already stated how the economy is doing better.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I'm not sure whether or not you're being serious. Regardless, LGBT rights are a real issue.

Yeah, about on the same level as the frequency of minor rectile bleeding or the migration patterns of North America squirrels.

Last edited by cots,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I don't mind paying more in the short term for my next-gen console if in the end it will help out our economy.
It doesn't though, that's not how tariffs work. They're meant to hurt China's economy, but that only works if Americans stop buying goods made in China. Which is impossible given the amount of goods we import from them. Even stuff labeled 'made in the USA' often comes from China. The end result being that Americans pay more for just about everything without any benefit to us domestically.

If we've truly been have on the losing side of the trade deals then it's time to renegotiate.
I agree, but tariffs do nothing to further that cause. China can draw the trade war out as long as they want to, the US cannot afford to do the same. All Trump is doing is putting us in an increasingly desperate situation.

You still haven't given a single example of something positive Trump has accomplished, BTW. If his biggest accomplishment is "the bad stuff he's done isn't that bad," he's gonna get slaughtered in debates and at the voting booths.

Last edited by Xzi,

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
He's a normal politician changing what he says he believes in to whatever is popular to get elected. He's another wealthy person who can't relate to the general public.
They basically said he was a bigger conman than Nixon and that people should fear him more than Trump if he got elected lol. Which is funny as Trump is pretty much hated by all Scottish people for his shady business deals he has done in Scotland before he became president. Like when he bought Turnberry golf course and decided to then illegally renovate it without absolutely any planning permission that is needed from the local council before any work can be done and in doing so he destroyed a large part of countryside and the environment.

Reactions: H1B1Esquire

cots

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It doesn't though, that's not how tariffs work. They're meant to hurt China's economy, but that only works if Americans stop buying goods made in China. Which is impossible given the amount of goods we import from them. Even stuff labeled 'made in the USA' often comes from China. The end result being that Americans pay more for just about everything without any benefit to us domestically.

I agree, but tariffs do nothing to further that cause. China can draw the trade war out as long as they want to, the US cannot afford to do the same. All Trump is doing is putting us in an increasingly desperate situation.

You still haven't given a single example of something positive Trump has accomplished, BTW. If his biggest accomplishment is "the bad stuff he's done isn't that bad," he's gonna get slaughtered in debates and at the voting booths.

The economy is doing better, more people are working, more businesses are opening and we're making more money. I know not everything is okay, but not everything will ever be okay. I'm also not stating that it's because of one man. Our President is only a single person. It's the Republican majority in the entire Government who are responsible for the major turnaround that has happened since they became the majority. I don't agree that everything they do is perfect or that Trump isn't a normal lying scum bag, but that generally applies to most wealthy politicians (you know the majority of them). Under Democratic leadership we'd still have a class divide, but it would be between the people in power, who would be rich and then everyone else who would be poor and under thier control, just like history has proven. Forget having a middle class anymore. You'll have the rich leaders and everyone else would be poor. An example is how the last time Democrats were in power how bad things got.

I'm not sure how international trade works, but imposing tariffs isn't "war" and it seems in Canada's case to have worked out. China can go fuck themselves and keep their cheap shit. Too bad Walmart's sold out to cooperate interests and stopped selling only goods made in the USA. I highly doubt we're headed to the end of the world over some bad negotiations surrounding electronics and if China starts real shit then I still have my selective service card. Bring it.

WD_GASTER2

Hated by life itself.
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure how international trade works, but imposing tariffs isn't "war" and it seems in Canada's case to have worked out. China can go fuck themselves and keep their cheap shit. Too bad Walmart's sold out to cooperate interests and stopped selling only goods made in the USA. I highly doubt we're headed to the end of the world over some bad negotiations surrounding electronics and if China starts real shit then I still have my selective service card. Bring it.

you may want to inform yourself on that one. Its a doozy. Tariffs are a surcharge on your own citizens... so its kind of odd to hear conservatives get excited over taxing themselves.

Ryan Warren

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Putting my 2 cents in as someone who could vote either way depending. Bernie's message of forgiving student debt is enticing, but without support is meaningless. I didn't feel like any of these candidates stuck out and haven't brought anything new to my attention. If the democrats want to win they need their base to show up. I'm more conservative obviously, but don't support these extreme pro-life laws in the south. I don't like abortions, but sometimes it's needed in certain situations (rape, incest, both parents present, too young) which aren't allowed by these new laws. The dems need a reason that everyone can get behind to vote for them. Trump passed an EO for health care transparency that i really liked and was approved I feel on both sides. I just don't see a candidate i really like that could win against trump though so unless a super star is born it doesn't look good.

cots

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you may want to inform yourself on that one. Its a doozy. Tariffs are a surcharge on your own citizens... so its kind of odd to hear conservatives get excited over taxing themselves.

Well considering I'm not a conservative your point is mute. I like the idea of a temporary situation where products are taxed more to solve a problem. That's normally not the case with normal taxes though. Usually when a new tax pops up that is supposed to be only for a year or so they never go away. If the tariffs are a temporary measure that's a different story. If they are never lifted then hopefully I can get the product I want elsewhere and hopefully the quality will be better than the shit we get from China. Weird that stuff I purchased in the 80s still functions when the stuff I bought 2 years ago no longer does.

I will definitely look into what the Democrats have to offer as soon as they decide on who they're running with. Student loan debt relief sounds enticing, but I rather not vote for it and then have it become another broken promise (aka another lie from a person who has built thier career on lies).

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The economy is doing better, more people are working, more businesses are opening and we're making more money.
So Trump's biggest accomplishment is that the economy has been growing at the same stable rate it did during Obama's final years. Or put another way, his biggest accomplishment is that he hasn't managed to crash the economy yet. That's a pretty low bar to set. Hopefully most voters are more discerning than that.

Under Democratic leadership we'd still have a class divide, but it would be between the people in power, who would be rich and then everyone else who would be poor and under thier control, just like history has proven. Forget having a middle class anymore. You'll have the rich leaders and everyone else would be poor.
You're definitely getting your parties mixed up there. Nobody in the middle or working classes saw any benefit from the Trump tax cuts. It all went to the corporations and wealthiest individuals in this country.

Last edited by Xzi,

WD_GASTER2

Hated by life itself.
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well considering I'm not a conservative your point is mute. I like the idea of a temporary situation where products are taxed more to solve a problem. That's normally not the case with normal taxes though. Usually when a new tax pops up that is supposed to be only for a year or so they never go away. If the tariffs are a temporary measure that's a different story. If they are never lifted then hopefully I can get the product I want elsewhere and hopefully the quality will be better than the shit we get from China. Weird that stuff I purchased in the 80s still functions when the stuff I bought 2 years ago no longer does.
based on all of your stances you do seem to lean very to the right.

Putting my 2 cents in as someone who could vote either way depending. Bernie's message of forgiving student debt is enticing, but without support is meaningless. I didn't feel like any of these candidates stuck out and haven't brought anything new to my attention. If the democrats want to win they need their base to show up. I'm more conservative obviously, but don't support these extreme pro-life laws in the south. I don't like abortions, but sometimes it's needed in certain situations (rape, incest, both parents present, too young) which aren't allowed by these new laws. The dems need a reason that everyone can get behind to vote for them. Trump passed an EO for health care transparency that i really liked and was approved I feel on both sides. I just don't see a candidate i really like that could win against trump though so unless a super star is born it doesn't look good.

Hey thanks for your two cents. These are the type of comments that seem interesting to me. well thought out and something for people to have food for thought. Thanks again.

I will definitely look into what the Democrats have to offer as soon as they decide on who they're running with. Student loan debt relief sounds enticing, but I rather not vote for it and then have it become another broken promise (aka another lie from a person who has built thier career on lies).
This seems interesting to me. So there is a chance that your vote not hard locked? just curious. What is it that you would want if that is the case.

Last edited by WD_GASTER2,

cots

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So Trump's biggest accomplishment is that the economy has been growing at the same stable rate it did during Obama's final years. Or put another way, his biggest accomplishment is that he hasn't managed to crash the economy yet. That's a pretty low bar to set. Hopefully most voters are more discerning than that.

You're definitely getting your parties mixed up there. Nobody in the middle or working classes saw any benefit from the Trump tax cuts. It all went to the corporations and wealthiest individuals in this country.

At least there still is a middle class and I believe keeping the economy going strong, which it wasn't under Democratic leadership an improvement.

based on all of your stances you do seem to lean very to the right.

Hey thanks for your two cents. These are the type of comments that seem interesting to me. well thought out and something for people to have food for thought. Thanks again.

This seems interesting to me. So there is a chance that your vote not hard locked? just curious. What is it that you would want if that is the case.

That's the problem with the Republicans and Democrats. They seem to base their definition of each other based on a set of values whereas I'm not part of either party. I stand alone and vote on my own values and don't limit myself to a single party. As for my vote I tend to vote for the more honest person with goals I agree with which means who I vote for rarely gets elected, but I refuse to go around following a particular party just because it's popular at the moment and act like thier leaders who blatantly lie to thier voters to get elected. I rather be honest and not lie to be cool to myself or others. That usually doesn't win me any popularity contests, but I rather be real instead of fake, which is one of the time tested ways to feel good about yourself (as it's all about how you feel, right?).

Iamapirate

Trophies
XP
Country
so proud boys and patriot prayer and whatever else flashy names they give themselves are not radical, don't bring weapons to their 'protests' and don't constantly get support from the right side of the media?
And where does 'antifa' get backed by the media? If anything, mainstream media outlets jump on the scaremongering bandwagon too.
I mean, come on, what paralell world are you living in?
I have never seen the proud boys being defended by anyone. I have seen cowards in black masks set shit on fire, attack Trump supporters and whack people over the head with bike locks, and then shitstains like you come out and say "oh, they're anti-fascists hurdur"

fuck off.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
At least there still is a middle class and I believe keeping the economy going strong, which it wasn't under Democratic leadership an improvement.
There's barely a middle class any more, and Trump is helping to shrink it faster. Obama's job growth numbers were better than Trump's, too, so I don't know where you're getting your info on that. The last person to do lasting and severe damage to the economy was GWB, who was a neocon just like Trump.

Last edited by Xzi,

cots

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have never seen the proud boys being defended by anyone. I have seen cowards in black masks set shit on fire, attack Trump supporters and whack people over the head with bike locks, and then shitstains like you come out and say "oh, they're anti-fascists hurdur"

fuck off.

I've never heard of either Antifa or these Proud boys, probably because I don't care much for extremism from either side. Although our Country wasn't founded by pacifists sitting on their asses discussing things in open forums, but by blood and sweat, so what do I know.

Iamapirate

Trophies
XP
Country
I've never heard of either Antifa or these Proud boys, probably because I don't care much for extremism from either side. Although our Country wasn't founded by pacifists sitting on their asses discussing things in open forums, but by blood and sweat, so what do I know.
I don't know what you're trying to say. all I'm saying is that comparing the Proud Boys to Antifa is like comparing Glass Joe to Mike Tyson. Completely nonsensical and that's evident to anyone that is familiar with these two groups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    denpafan @ denpafan: Good choice +1