Details for the AYANEO Pocket S, a Snapdragon G3x Gen 2-powered Android gaming handheld, revealed

ayaneo pocket s.jpg

AYANEO's next gaming device is the AYANEO Pocket S which sports the Snapdragon G3x Gen 2; a chip designed for gaming handhelds. The company seems to be going via the crowdfunding route again for this device (as always, caution is advised) and have released a new trailer for the device as well as a pre-launch page.

Today's announcement also revealed specs details of the device which are as follows:

pocket s specs.jpg

:arrow: SOURCE

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yet another one of these android handhelds? And probably the wackiest commercial I've ever seen for one...

If your handheld is more fun to use as a gun prop for playing cowboys & robbers, than actually playing games on, that doesn't say good things about your handheld... And as small as it is, it's still significantly bigger than a flagship phone, so I'm not sure why they advertise their performance as being comparable to one. No thanks, I already have a phone...

Reactions: Guacaholey

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yet another one of these android handhelds? And probably the wackiest commercial I've ever seen for one...

If your handheld is more fun to use as a gun prop for playing cowboys & robbers, than actually playing games on, that doesn't say good things about your handheld... And as small as it is, it's still significantly bigger than a flagship phone, so I'm not sure why they advertise their performance as being comparable to one. No thanks, I already have a phone...
I think the phone comparisons stem from the fact that a lot of popular handhelds use phone APUs, with the most popular one out right now, the Odin 2, using a Snapdragon 8 Gen 2.

But yeah, these high end handhelds are still a bit of a niche either way.

orangy57

bruh
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ehh the only one of these android handhelds that even slightly interested me was the Pimax Portal but mostly because of everything outside of the handheld gaming stuff. There's honestly no reason to own an ARM handheld with the same screen aspect ratio as your phone if you already have a phone. Obviously an integrated controller feels better than controller grips but then you're just burning loads of money for tiny creature comforts. Maybe in another 5 years when x64 emulation starts getting good on ARM these will start to have an actual purpose

Why don't they make it a fully-featured phone, or better yet a phone with a slide-out controller like the xperia?

Reactions: veesonic

GengarsGhostlyGiggles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
i tried one of these types of devices, they killed my hands.
I thought the steam deck button placement was weird as hell, but it actually works way better

Qeality

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

AYANEO's next gaming device is the AYANEO Pocket S which sports the Snapdragon G3x Gen 2; a chip designed for gaming handhelds. The company seems to be going via the crowdfunding route again for this device (as always, caution is advised) and have released a new trailer for the device as well as a pre-launch page.

Today's announcement also revealed specs details of the device which are as follows:

:arrow: SOURCE

Will this be capable of playing GameCube games buttery smooth with no issues?

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Will this be capable of playing GameCube games buttery smooth with no issues?
It should be able to handle a good chunk of the Switch library, never mind GameCube. Given a quick Google the G3x Gen 2 is around 20% stronger than the 8 Gen 2, and you can see the performance for that below:

Reactions: Qeality

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
The problem with it being Android powered is that "No Steam, huge mayority of Androig games are crap and focused on touch screens".

So is a lot of money to just get an emulation box cause again, no Steam.

You are better of buying a decent mini PC in a similar price range or a desktop you can upgrade.

AndorfRequissa

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yet another fucking device from AYANEO! don't bother buying this a new design will be out next week!
they have certainly ruined their reputation in the couple years they have been around. i almost thought about buying one when the first couple handhelds they made came out. never now that i see how dumb and idiotic they are with making devices and how little support they will have

Mayo1990

I just play vidya
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If you're a serious gamer all you need is a steam deck. Everything else are toys.
The issue with Steam Deck is its size. Besides that, It's a fantastic device I'd suggest anyone to own if they want to play games on the go but have no clue on what to play

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...