'Detective Pikachu' movie is reportedly getting a sequel

detective pika.JPG
Remember the Detective Pikachu where Deadpool's Ryan Reynolds voices the electric mouse? The one that hasn't even been released yet? Well, according to an exclusive Hollywood Reporter article, a sequel to that movie is already underway.

Legendary Entertainment, seemingly confident about its unreleased movie, will again work on this sequel and has already caught hired Oren Uziel to write the script. Uziel, you might recall, also worked on the Sonic the Hedgehog movie set to release later this year.

In case you didn't see it, here's the trailer for the Detective Pikachu movie that spawned countless of memes and mixed reactions (and inspired a realistic-looking Tempy) and decide for yourself if it's worthy of a sequel:

The Detective Pikachu movie is slated for a release this May 11th.

:arrow: SOURCE

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
How can a movie that's not even released yet get a sequel? Do they have that much confidence it'll do good?

It's Hollywood, they're likely betting on the IP and actors alone will sell it.

Scripts can go through several drafts/rewrites before filming begins, so by starting now they likely hope to cut the length between films while also being relatively easy to cancel if the first film fails.

Wouldn't surprise me if they're also planning the Pokemon Cinematic Universe as well.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
How can a movie that's not even released yet get a sequel? Do they have that much confidence it'll do good?

1. its a pokemon movie with ryan reynolds. it's very much going to be successful.
2. hiring someone to write a script is peanuts. if it works out well, the next movie will be done much sooner = more money. if it does bad, it's basically just one more drop in the bucket.

Reactions: medoli900 and Arras

Enkuler

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Everyone I know in to Pokemon seems really hyped for this movie, however after watching the trailers I don't think it looks great at all.
This movie (and of course its trailer) seems to target its audience very precisely, maybe you're not that target.
For example, the music at 8 seconds in the trailer is from the main menu theme in the first Pokémon games.
So the people who are into Pokémon but are too young to be nostalgic of this because they started with Pokémon White are missing something.
Same, the people who are into Pokémon but are a bit too old to think "haha yeah me too, so true, the feels" when they hear "you wanted to be a Pokémon trainer when you were young // yeah... that didn't really work out" are missing something.
And of course the people who are not even into Pokémon are not the target at all.

This movie is really for these people in their twenties who played the first games, and still know some of the new Pokémon such as Greninja, and wanted to be Pokémon trainer, and wanted Pokémon in the real world exactly how they are pictured in this movie (not an anime).
Exactly the category of persons that was the most into Pokémon Go when it was out at the beginning, and then they stopped playing it because it was not exactly what they expected (fights? exchanges?) (which does not mean everyone stopped playing it), so yeah, maybe then the scenario will be shit, I don't know, but really the trailer is only meant to be fully appealing to this category of persons.

fst312

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only thing I can say when I see this is they kind of gave away the ending to the first movie. What I me by that is, it will probably end in a cliffhanger or something comes up at the end of the movie or during the credits that tells people there is going to be another movie. I guess marvel would be an example, they always seem to show what movie is coming next in their credits. Even though it never happened I kind of wish the third spiderman movie with Andrew Garfield came out, during the credits of the second movie,it looked like they were going to make a movie with the sinister six. I may have went off topic a bit but that’s the only thing I can think of for them to already be looking into a sequel to detective pikachu.

Justinde75

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This honestly isnt shocking. Its a pokemon movie, it has mostly cute characters, and it looks different. Especially children and people who liked gen 1 are going to watch it. Parents with children are probably going to give them the most revenue

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
Personal opinion as someone who isn't in their twenties nor really grew up with Pokemon (I only started playing the series when I was 12 in high school, which was about the time BW2 came out and the best you could emulate on a phone was the GBA w/ GPSPhone), but Pokemon is usually at its strongest if it doesnt try to tie itself down to existing concepts.

See -> Let's Go. I actually really liked Let's Go. It was a fresh take and really tried out a number of cool new ideas from Pokemon GO that made it possible for me, aka someone with only tangential tedency to play Pokemon GO (limited data plan and a desire to not go outside much rather restricts ones enjoyment of it) to enjoy what Pokemon GO could add to the table at least when it comes to Pokemon catching. Plus it was nice to see the walking gimmick brought back.

Or here's one for a closer medium: The anime. I don't like the main anime, it's... too stuck in upholding the status quo (see -> Ash somehow being around for 20 odd years and a. still being 10 and b. still somehow being incapable of a proper Pokemon fight at the beginning of a new region). On the other hand, when they tried a more "realistic" (so Pokemon being animals again instead of mostly just repeating their own name) approach to the franchise and not make use of a character that for merchandise purposes has to receive no character development at all (Mario also peeks around the corner), the results tend to be so much more impressive. See Pokemon Generations and Origins for what I mean by this. Origins especially I'm disappointed in that it didn't receive a full season anime (imagine 12 episodes, 1 episode introducing Red, 8 episodes showing his journey to get the badges, 1 episode for Elite Four, 1 episode for Champion and a buildup to Mewtwo and one episode for Mewtwo), there's a lot of potential there for a more appealing Pokemon universe.

I'm not sure if this movie will bring something similar to Origins and Generations to the table in terms of characterization of both the Pokemon and the human characters, but it seems to be putting it's eggs in the same basket which at least from my perspective has a lot more potential to be good than the normal Pokemon status quo.

Oh and if it flops, we can always stick Deadpool footage over detective Pikachu.

It's bold to go for a sequel right away, I'll say that much, but... who knows? It could go very right, it could go very wrong. Maybe it's needed because of the plot of Detective Pikachu not fitting into one movie (I don't know, never played the 3DS title), but... I suppose we'll have to wait and see.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Imagine being a Pokemon professor, and handing a child an empty Pokedex to do your work for you, instead of giving him your field notes and lifetime of knowledge... Just to bang his mom.

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
It's not that uncommon, considering that bigger franchises done it, likeLord of the Rings and The Hobbit. It's a good way to deal with actor unavailability and having to deal with sometimes hectic time slots.

And possibly the closed public tests have been very favorable?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9omNI5x06fk