'Detective Pikachu' movie is reportedly getting a sequel

detective pika.JPG
Remember the Detective Pikachu where Deadpool's Ryan Reynolds voices the electric mouse? The one that hasn't even been released yet? Well, according to an exclusive Hollywood Reporter article, a sequel to that movie is already underway.

Legendary Entertainment, seemingly confident about its unreleased movie, will again work on this sequel and has already caught hired Oren Uziel to write the script. Uziel, you might recall, also worked on the Sonic the Hedgehog movie set to release later this year.

In case you didn't see it, here's the trailer for the Detective Pikachu movie that spawned countless of memes and mixed reactions (and inspired a realistic-looking Tempy) and decide for yourself if it's worthy of a sequel:

The Detective Pikachu movie is slated for a release this May 11th.

:arrow: SOURCE

AxlSt00pid

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
The first one isn't even out yet...
They sure have hopes it'll sell like crazy, and I think it's because is a Pokémon movie

I'll find it very funny if they cancel the sequel because the first one didn't sell or have high ratings

KyleHyde

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
I'm confused as to why an Asian kid didn't play the Pokémon trainer.
By Pokemon trainer, are you referring to the main character, Tim Goodman? (Since in the trailer they mention that he used to want to be a Pokemon Trainer, but it didn't really work out for him.) He's not Asian in the video game either. Then again, they aren't really following the source material of the Detective Pikachu video game to a T (They already stated long ago that the movie would have a different plot, iirc), so they could have made him Asian if they wanted to.

Setting the game's art style aside (which is similar to a 3D Disney movie), there's plenty of characters from different racial backgrounds and perhaps they'll be doing the same with the cinematic universe (assuming the movie sells well).

Reactions: Haloman800

Steena

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
How can a movie that's not even released yet get a sequel? Do they have that much confidence it'll do good?
they have confidence they spent millions doing the ugly as fuck cgi and their numbers people calculated that shitting out a sequel will be more cost-efficient for the long run as it reuses the technology, the set and some of the assets

it's how big franchises plan out several releases like the superhero movies, it all goes into a shared pipework

Reactions: IncredulousP

Grmmish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does no one notice Pokemon is huge?
They are going for a sequel because it DOES NOT MATTER if it flops.
Looks at the games. They come out with more Pokemon games than ANYTHING (Excluding Mario.... Which honestly doesn't get as many main games as Pokemon either.) so as far as they are concerned, they are mainly trying to keep people TALKING about Pokemon, whether they enjoyed it or not. LOL

Reactions: Ryccardo

anhminh

Pirate since 2010
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Wasn't they said awhile ago that they had planned a Pokemon RGBY live action that would take place in the same univeser and they gonna made a PCU out of its

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
This movie (and of course its trailer) seems to target its audience very precisely, maybe you're not that target.
For example, the music at 8 seconds in the trailer is from the main menu theme in the first Pokémon games.
So the people who are into Pokémon but are too young to be nostalgic of this because they started with Pokémon White are missing something.
Same, the people who are into Pokémon but are a bit too old to think "haha yeah me too, so true, the feels" when they hear "you wanted to be a Pokémon trainer when you were young // yeah... that didn't really work out" are missing something.
And of course the people who are not even into Pokémon are not the target at all.

This movie is really for these people in their twenties who played the first games, and still know some of the new Pokémon such as Greninja, and wanted to be Pokémon trainer, and wanted Pokémon in the real world exactly how they are pictured in this movie (not an anime).
Exactly the category of persons that was the most into Pokémon Go when it was out at the beginning, and then they stopped playing it because it was not exactly what they expected (fights? exchanges?) (which does not mean everyone stopped playing it), so yeah, maybe then the scenario will be shit, I don't know, but really the trailer is only meant to be fully appealing to this category of persons.

Honestly i'm probably not that target, however quite a bit of what you said does apply to me.

I was in to Pokemon from the start here in the UK, I got Pokemon Red and never looked back. Gold / Silver were amazing, I imported them from the US months before we get them though a shop in my hometown. I've been in and out of Pokemon since. I got back in to Diamond on the DS at University with some course mates, then went back and finished Ruby and Leafe Green on the GBA. In recent years the X / Y on the 3DS got me hardcore back in to the series, I then went back and finished White and Black 2 and have kept up with the franchise since, including Lets Go on the Switch.

In some ways I’m kinda lucky as I’ve enjoyed Pokemon Go since day one and still enjoy it today. I also love the core games too, so at present is a great time to be in to Pokemon, even more so as I’ve met new people in my home town also in to the franchise though Pokemon Go.

The movie in general just look a bit rubbish to me, however I’m not all that bothered to be honest. I’ve always been in to the games over the anime so I’m good either way, I just never expected the movie to be as hyped as it is!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJewzRHdH8c