Hacking Devolution - Public Release

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I stick all my games on a 128GB (Micro Center brand) USB3 Flash Drive. It's large enough to for a 20GB Mint install, 32GB Xbox 360 usb storage, GameCube games, and My Wii Games.
for "backups", I keep them on a 2.5 250GB IDE HDD with a USB to 2.5/3.5/SATA adapter.

..and the drive was only 79.99$ :P

BruceBaldock

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
This is so cool I havent updated devoultion in the past year and the fact its got extra controller support is so awesome
im guessing xbox 360 controllers dont work with devoultion? which would be lame for me because I have 4 of those and only 1 ps3 controller lol
and all my gamecube pads analog sticks are so worn out or the rubber has completly come off, and some buttons just dont feel like there getting pressed when you push them
have your guys gamecube controllers aged like this aswell? or maybe me and my friends have been a bit rough with my gc controllers over the years lol

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
I have one GCN contoller that is completely worn out, the rubber off but still functional XD, my two precious Wavebirds are like new, and I really mean like new, not even slight scratches, I keep them stored in a bag most of the time though :P

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The rubber top came off of the main analog stick for my wavebird, so I just swapped its analog stick cap with that of an original classic controller's right analog stick.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm wanting to shrink my gamecube games using DMToolbox. Will Devo still work if I do this, or do they need to be 1:1 isos?
Only some games work, and those that do work will only work if DMToolbox is set to "Auto". Also some games work with Wiimms ISO Tools but will NOT work with DMToolbox.

Speaking of which, I finished my testing regarding WIT and DMT, here's the complete list of games that I own which worked. I've added notes to the Compatibility Wiki for the games that work with ISO compression.

Works with Wiimms ISO Tools but NOT DiscEX/DMToolbox
~2.37MB Game Boy Player Start-up Disc
~1.18GB Midway Arcade Treasures 3
~1.34GB Star Wars Rogue Squadron 3: Rebel Strike

Works with Wiimms ISO Tools and/or DiscEX/DMToolbox
~137MB Nintendo Puzzle Collection
~254MB The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures
~570MB Mario Party 4
~955MB SpyHunter
~986MB Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2
~1.24GB James Bond 007: Agent Under Fire
~1.30GB Star Wars Rogue Squadron 2: Rogue Leader
~1.33GB TimeSplitters 2
~1.33GB TimeSplitters: Future Perfect
~1.35GB Medal of Honor: Frontline

drakorex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried dmt with sonic gems, set to auto, and it wants me to verify the game. The light keeps blinking twice even though the disc is in. There really should be a compatibility chart for this kind of thing.

Aqua1234

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
First off, thank you for this! I am a Nintendo Gamecube Fanatic!
I don't have a GC controller however, but is there any other way I can play?
Thanks.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First off, thank you for this! I am a Nintendo Gamecube Fanatic!
I don't have a GC controller however, but is there any other way I can play?
Thanks.
Classic controllers and PS3 controllers are supported. Look at the readme.txt in the apps folder of the downloaded ZIP file.

I tried dmt with sonic gems, set to auto, and it wants me to verify the game. The light keeps blinking twice even though the disc is in. There really should be a compatibility chart for this kind of thing.
I add a note to the Devolution compatibility wiki for any game that works with ISO compression.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Where is this wiki?
It's linked to in the first post and I've edited in a link into my post with the list of games that work with ISO compression.

Note that I'm pretty much the only person that has been adding notes saying when a game works with ISO compression, so you won't find much on games I don't own. Also I don't add notes saying when a game does NOT work because ISO compression isn't an officially-supported feature of Devolution, so it's not guaranteed to work anyway.

drakorex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's linked to in the first post and I've edited in a link into my post with the list of games that work with ISO compression.

Note that I'm pretty much the only person that has been adding notes saying when a game works with ISO compression, so you won't find much on games I don't own. Also I don't add notes saying when a game does NOT work because ISO compression isn't an officially-supported feature of Devolution, so it's not guaranteed to work anyway.
Much appreciated. Though knowing if a game will work or not would sure save people the trouble I've just had.
Don't know if you've considered renting games or not, but it's a thought.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Much appreciated. Though knowing if a game will work or not would sure save people the trouble I've just had.
It wouldn't be as much of a problem if people were actually adding to the compatibility wiki which games work with ISO compression. Also, again, I don't think tueidj would approve of us filling the notes section for every game with a bunch of "Does not work with ISO compression" when the readme explicitly says that it only supports clean 1:1 rips.

Don't know if you've considered renting games or not, but it's a thought.
That costs money. :P And TBH I don't think you can even rent GameCube games anymore...the closest thing would be local used game stores, but I think it'd be a bit rude to take advantage of their "1 week return policy" by purchasing most of their GameCube games only to return them all in a few days time.

drakorex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It wouldn't be as much of a problem if people were actually adding to the compatibility wiki which games work with ISO compression. Also, again, I don't think tueidj would approve of us filling the notes section for every game with a bunch of "Does not work with ISO compression" when the readme explicitly says that it only supports clean 1:1 rips.

That costs money. :P And TBH I don't think you can even rent GameCube games anymore...the closest thing would be local used game stores, but I think it'd be a bit rude to take advantage of their "1 week return policy" by purchasing most of their GameCube games only to return them all in a few days time.
Check out gamefly. No more than $23 a month. http://www.gamefly.com/rent-games/Browse/?pf=1015&cat=SeeAll

You could get a couple Gamecube games in the mail, check 'em out and send them back the same day and get 2 more a few days after. It really helped me build my wii collection when I didn't have internet. :D

mrbigreddog

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well the problem with renting and devolution is when the next update comes out you will probably have to reverify the disc. That and/or if your SD card or USB drive go back, you'll be out of luck again.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well the problem with renting and devolution is when the next update comes out you will prompt have to reverify the disc. That and/or if your SD card or USB drive go back, you'll be out of luck again.
The point of renting wasn't to play the games but to just build up a list of what games work with ISO compression or not.

And you don't have to re-verify your games if you update Devolution - that only happened when going from r197 to r200 because the verification format was changed.

mrbigreddog

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The point of renting wasn't to play the games but to just build up a list of what games work with ISO compression or not.

And you don't have to re-verify your games if you update Devolution - that only happened when going from r197 to r200 because the verification format was changed.

Oh I gotcha...about the renting.

Well not to say that the verification format may not change again..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    bassviolet @ bassviolet: uwu