• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Do you feel the USA is better now than it was 22 years ago?

Are things getting better or worse for the "Greatest Country in the World"?

• Better

• Worse

• It's a mixed bag and very complicated and while I think some things have declined we do also have...

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Law enforcement isn't applied equally, and different people should have different expectations regarding law enforcement. It's kind of the whole point of BLM.

BLM is a generally peaceful protest movement, and regardless of whether or not we condone things done during BLM protests, the message behind BLM is something we should all agree with. Conversely, the message behind the January 6 protests was one of rejecting democracy and overturning an election, and there's plenty of evidence that the January 6 riots were purposeful and instigated by those spearheading the Big Lie. From their foundations to their executions, the two aren't comparable.
"Generally a peaceful protest movement", except for the billions in damage, dozens of murders, and the complete destruction of black businesses and neighborhoods.

David Dorn. Black man killed by mostly peaceful BLM protesters.

The January 6th riot was never supposed to happen. There was another stage setup at the Supreme Court that people were planning to go to. I find it so odd that the left uses Nazi terminology so effortlessly. You should also look to Arizona where a ballot mule was just sentenced to 1 year in prison. She was one of the mules featured on "2000 Mules". Also, the Wisconsin Supreme Court ruled that drop boxes are illegal now and were illegal in 2020, effectively invalidating all of those ballots.

random fun fact: hate crimes rose significantly during Trump's term, especially against asian americans in 2020.

It is thus, fair to assume, that there is a significant problem in this country with the right's rhetoric.
You fail to mention what race was responsible for all of those hate crimes. Weird oversight on your part.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Generally a peaceful protest movement", except for the billions in damage, dozens of murders, and the complete destruction of black businesses and neighborhoods.
Between 93-96% of BLM protests have been peaceful.

The January 6th riot was never supposed to happen. There was another stage setup at the Supreme Court that people were planning to go to.
I suggest you pay closer attention to the January 6 hearings.

I find it so odd that the left uses Nazi terminology so effortlessly.
When did I do that? Lol.

You should also look to Arizona where a ballot mule was just sentenced to 1 year in prison. She was one of the mules featured on "2000 Mules".
You mean the film that makes unsubstantiated claims, debunked claims, blatant omissions, and promotes conspiracy theories?

I do not believe you are being serious.

Also, the Wisconsin Supreme Court ruled that drop boxes are illegal now and were illegal in 2020, effectively invalidating all of those ballots.
The results of the election in Wisconsin (or any other state) have not been invalidated.

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I noticed things began to get a little strange in the late 80's, then in the 90's there was a certain something going on, then by 911, it was clear, the world would never be the same again. Not because of what happened at the Twin Towers, but because of media events, and how the business model has changed, education, entertainment, ideologies, propaganda, that sort of business. The world is exceptionally, EXCEPTIONALLY plastic and fake these days.

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Between 93-96% of BLM protests have been peaceful.

I suggest you pay closer attention to the January 6 hearings.

When did I do that? Lol.

You mean the film that makes unsubstantiated claims, debunked claims, blatant omissions, and promotes conspiracy theories?

I do not believe you are being serious.

The results of the election in Wisconsin (or any other state) have not been invalidated.
That is corporate media propaganda. Entire city blocks were burned to the ground.

The J6 hearings are a sham. They canceled a hearing because Steve Bannon demanded he testify in public.

The Big Lie is a Nazi saying. Learn history.

The film that used geotracking of cell phones to pinpoint people going to drop boxes and then back to Democrat campaign offices to get paid. Imagine thinking a woman goes to jail based on debunked claims. You people are hilarious. :rofl2:

If ballots were dropped off in illegal dropboxes, then those will be invalidated. That's the law. Deal with it.

LainaGabranth

Objectively the most infuriating woman ever
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I noticed things began to get a little strange in the late 80's, then in the 90's there was a certain something going on, then by 911, it was clear, the world would never be the same again. Not because of what happened at the Twin Towers, but because of media events, and how the business model has changed, education, entertainment, ideologies, propaganda, that sort of business. The world is exceptionally, EXCEPTIONALLY plastic and fake these days.
I hate to break it to you but you're included in that. Most of the performative misanthropes who think they're above the world and are "real" "unlike everyone else" happen to be incredibly fake people built on posturing. Sooooooooooo, I mean. Pretty safe wager about where your observation is coming from. The world wasn't "more real" in the early to mid 80's, you just weren't alive then. We were dealing with the exact same problems of the dolled up faces of capitalism in the face of exploitation and existential horrors like climate change and far right rhetoric on the rise, and I think it's a little funny that the generic 4chan kid thinks the past was any different from the present in anything but media and fashion statements.

XDel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hate to break it to you but you're included in that. Most of the performative misanthropes who think they're above the world and are "real" "unlike everyone else" happen to be incredibly fake people built on posturing. Sooooooooooo, I mean. Pretty safe wager about where your observation is coming from. The world wasn't "more real" in the early to mid 80's, you just weren't alive then. We were dealing with the exact same problems of the dolled up faces of capitalism in the face of exploitation and existential horrors like climate change and far right rhetoric on the rise, and I think it's a little funny that the generic 4chan kid thinks the past was any different from the present in anything but media and fashion statements.
Oh, OK, thankx for letting me know.

Deleted member 559230

Trophies
XP

Capitalism hasn't failed and the world isn't ending. You list made up problems that aren't really real problems. Hence the aforementioned plastic/fakeness.

Reactions: Digital_Cheese

LainaGabranth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Capitalism hasn't failed and the world isn't ending. You list made up problems that aren't really real problems. Hence the aforementioned plastic/fakeness.
You are right about one thing! The consolidation of wealth and power into the hands of the 1% was always the end goal of capitalism, so I guess technically it's succeeded even if it's failed the people.

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are right about one thing! The consolidation of wealth and power into the hands of the 1% was always the end goal of capitalism, so I guess technically it's succeeded even if it's failed the people.
Blame the states that shut down for making the rich richer. They were allowed to work. We were not. We saw all of them breaking the rules and doing what they wanted while the government spent trillions giving us scraps. Now we are paying for it with inflation.

LainaGabranth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Blame the states that shut down for making the rich richer. They were allowed to work. We were not. We saw all of them breaking the rules and doing what they wanted while the government spent trillions giving us scraps. Now we are paying for it with inflation.
Consolidation of wealth has been peaking since the 90's. It was demonstrated in 2008, and has only spiraled out from there. Just because your attention span for current events is exclusively tied to what your overlords tell you doesn't mean that all history before it was just, y'know, fuckin moot, dingus.

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Consolidation of wealth has been peaking since the 90's. It was demonstrated in 2008, and has only spiraled out from there. Just because your attention span for current events is exclusively tied to what your overlords tell you doesn't mean that all history before it was just, y'know, fuckin moot, dingus.
Now go into the reason why. Could it have been the tech bubble of the 90's? The government you worship allowing banks to lend money to poor people for houses they couldn't afford in the 2000's? The left always likes to spout that things are wrong, but you are never curious enough to find out why it's wrong. That's why you default to "it's Republicans fault" and "orange man bad". There is a lot of common ground between us, but the left just refuses to acknowledge it.

LainaGabranth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now go into the reason why. Could it have been the tech bubble of the 90's? The government you worship allowing banks to lend money to poor people for houses they couldn't afford in the 2000's? The left always likes to spout that things are wrong, but you are never curious enough to find out why it's wrong. That's why you default to "it's Republicans fault" and "orange man bad". There is a lot of common ground between us, but the left just refuses to acknowledge it.
"You call everyone you disagree with a fascist!"
"The government you worship"

Incompatible statements. Pick one.

Dakitten

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am not surprised by the results of my poll, but am very thankful for everyone for participating! I've been kia ever since the primaries, but I find it genuinely fascinating that most people seem to agree that things have been on a downhill trajectory, but the divide is between those who wish to recreate an idealized past that never was for the benefit of their own in group, and people who fear for the future and want to enact policies for the greater good... while being "dunked on" by the first group with meaningless pointless and absolutely fruitless conjecture and straw-manning. My apologies to @Xzi @Lacius @LainaGabranth and my beloved fellow feline @The Catboy for just making another battleground for y'all to play whack-a-mole, but I deeply appreciate your contributions to this section and all you do!

Much love, comrades! :wub:

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China
I am not surprised by the results of my poll, but am very thankful for everyone for participating! I've been kia ever since the primaries, but I find it genuinely fascinating that most people seem to agree that things have been on a downhill trajectory, but the divide is between those who wish to recreate an idealized past that never was for the benefit of their own in group, and people who fear for the future and want to enact policies for the greater good... while being "dunked on" by the first group with meaningless pointless and absolutely fruitless conjecture and straw-manning. My apologies to @Xzi @Lacius @LainaGabranth and my beloved fellow feline @The Catboy for just making another battleground for y'all to play whack-a-mole, but I deeply appreciate your contributions to this section and all you do!

Much love, comrades! :wub:
What is the greater good?
As I see it, the left openly embraces advocating for its in-group(s). The main-stream right (including figures like Trump) avoids it like the plague.
The opposite of critical race theory (advocated by the mainstream left and far-left) is not colorblindness (advocated by the right, including Trump) but helping their in-group at the expense of other races.

However, I have not followed the thread all that much, comrade.

Dakitten

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is the greater good?
As I see it, the left openly embraces advocating for its in-group(s). The main-stream right (including figures like Trump) avoids it like the plague.
The opposite of critical race theory (advocated by the mainstream left and far-left) is not colorblindness (advocated by the right, including Trump) but helping their in-group at the expense of other races.

However, I have not followed the thread all that much, comrade.
Seeing as the left in the USA is the majority, its "in-groups" are kinda... well, the gist of folk. Critical race theory just outlines how damages have been done to minorities and looks at what can be done to level out the playing field, usually in tandem with how to help bridge the gap between the rich and poor and better living conditions for everyone going forward.

You can help everyone and focus on those who were wronged simultaneously, if you've the will to try, comrade! :grog:

XDel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seeing as the left in the USA is the majority...
Please keep in mind that Plato's Proverbial cave turned digital over 100 years ago... Those who have the power control the satellites, those who control the satellites control the speech, those who control the speech control the perception.

Attachments

• Platos Cave.jpeg
    Platos Cave.jpeg
    90.2 KB · Views: 26

Dakitten

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please keep in mind that Plato's Proverbial cave turned digital over 100 years ago... Those who have the power control the satellites, those who control the satellites control the speech, those who control the speech control the perception.
Cute insinuation, but if that was truly so absolute you'd be no different than the rest of us... unless... THAT WAS PART OF THEIR PLAN, TOO! They figured you out, Neo, before you even began! We're all batteries, you're just a battery with a trenchcoat! The illusion of freedom is another aspect of control in the simulation!

But seriously, that kind of attitude won't get anyone anywhere. Rather than fear the shadows and bark at the dark, it is better to plan for improvement and work towards communal goals. If we're all brainwashed cogs but it makes us think we feel better, what's the harm in trying to address the faults we view in the reality we're given?

XDel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cute insinuation, but if that was truly so absolute you'd be no different than the rest of us... unless... THAT WAS PART OF THEIR PLAN, TOO! They figured you out, Neo, before you even began! We're all batteries, you're just a battery with a trenchcoat! The illusion of freedom is another aspect of control in the simulation!

But seriously, that kind of attitude won't get anyone anywhere. Rather than fear the shadows and bark at the dark, it is better to plan for improvement and work towards communal goals. If we're all brainwashed cogs but it makes us think we feel better, what's the harm in trying to address the faults we view in the reality we're given?
Well unfortunately for you guys, you are caught under a post modernist/communistic/neo-marxist interpretation of history, the present, and our selves. Further more you all deny God, or at best, attempt to recreate God in your own image, though without actual knowledge and experience of God, without conscious, you will remain trapped in the proverbial cave chasing after shadows, and having no foundation from which your values have sprung.

Sure you talk about a love for humanity, a community spirit, and this and that, but where did you get those values from? If life is nothing but flesh, economics, and the inevitable worm, then who is to say that any one value is more significant than any other?

If you guys would spend more time trying to understand rather than come across as constantly condescending know it alls, then these little conversations may actually lead to something meaningful.

It's like above, you just assume that anyone that does not agree with you and your post modernist clan here, is merely longing for some past that never existed, yet I don't recall anyone longing for such a thing, though I do see a lot of people taking dead things from the distant past and hooking them up to life support to use as political leverage.

Take the African slave trade as an example. It marks a period in history where African slaves were being carted away out of Africa and into other countries, and guess what, America wasn't the only place! In fact slavery began long before the African slave trade, it existed all over the world and it could care less what color you were. Contrary to the Marxist Narrative, is was Western Civilization that made a stab at ending slavery, and we even had a blood bath over it! Then because of Democrats and Big Business, the blacks faced a lot of set backs that they would not have otherwise.

Though you know what, South of Texas they kept their slaves for quite a while longer than us, but that's never talked about. In fact there are Slaves currently in China, the Middle East, etc. etc. though you never hear about them except maybe once in a while through national geographic. Where is your heart felt concern for all of them?

How about the natives, people always bitch about Americans killing the natives and eroding their culture, and in part that is true, but there are other stories, that separate the Natives of North America from the Mexicans and South Americans. I.E. How come in America we have reservations, and we still have the various "tribes", have preserved some of the language customs, etc. yet down beneath the boarder of Texas everyone assumes they are Latin/Spanish, embrace Catholicism and speak Spanish?

I am unsure what set all you kids on this Post Modernist/Communistic/Neo Marxist kick, but it is misleading you, and if there is any sincerity in your heart, it is being corrupted and used against your self and others. There is real evil within this world, but you've got to take off the Main Stream VR head set to see it. And no, reality is not some Matrix-esque homo erotic rave in the underground somewhere, it's something much more real, much more relevant, and with a much higher purpose than mere feeling.

Besides, the author of the Book the Matrix director's were influenced by hated the movies and said that if The Matrix were to make a movie, that The Matrix is exactly the kind of movie it would make.

Attachments

• African Slave Trade.jpg
    African Slave Trade.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 38
Last edited by XDel,
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.