Do you think the internet has too many ads?

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I admittedly use Brave with a ton of add-ons that block ads and hide elements, so it makes the experience much cleaner and sleeker rather than be forced to see everything that it originally has. And some paywalls can be bypassed by simply hiding those 'walls' which is kinda funny. :P

However, it's also good that ads do exist as websites and people need to make money, plus websites which offer cashback rely on ads and tracking so if you'd block access to it then it wouldn't track it. In this case, I'd use Chrome for it, and Brave for everything else.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yes. They are too many, too much, too big, too aggressive, too invasive, too stalking, too data intense, too CPU (battery) intense, too dangerous… simply too much of a pain in the a..

For me monetization with ads is the worst form of payment. Let me try your service for free, and stick a price tag on it for permanent use… but leave me alone with advertising.

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've been on the internet since 1999 too, and I can say that nowadays, we have it easy with the adblock addons, and even though there are anti-adblock scripts on many sites, we also have anti-anti-adblock available. It's a fun game of cat and mouse. :P And I want to thank GBAtemp for not pestering their users with such nonsense.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't necessarily say too many ads so much as too many intrusive ads. I'm not dumb enough to believe sites can exist without ads (otherwise GBAtemp would simply be ad-free :P), servers are expensive to maintain so even free websites will always need some sort of passive income from non-paying customers. But the way ads are these days, with auto-playing videos, ads that block or stop content from displaying, ads that demand you sign up to read the rest of an article etc etc are just too prevalent now. Sure popups existed in the 90s/00s, but they were much easier to get rid of and browsers started integrated anti-popup in like the early 00s anyways.

I'd be fine with ads if they were just banners off to the side and didn't get integrated into the middle of content, but given most sites these don't give a shit I'll simply keep using ad-blockers on any browsers I use.

Reactions: Y0shII and Chary

DKAngel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I know, I was late to the party. But that's when i bought my first PC. I remember it had a huge 6 GB hard disk.:D
6gig, far out my first pc had 20meg hdd :/ i still remember finally buying a 1.7gig quantum fireball and my first amd (amd x5 133)

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
6gig, far out my first pc had 20meg hdd :/ i still remember finally buying a 1.7gig quantum fireball and my first amd (amd x5 133)

I had a 10.0 gig Quantum Fireball in the Pentium III system I had haha.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I admittedly use Brave with a ton of add-ons that block ads and hide elements, so it makes the experience much cleaner and sleeker rather than be forced to see everything that it originally has. And some paywalls can be bypassed by simply hiding those 'walls' which is kinda funny. :P

However, it's also good that ads do exist as websites and people need to make money, plus websites which offer cashback rely on ads and tracking so if you'd block access to it then it wouldn't track it. In this case, I'd use Chrome for it, and Brave for everything else.
See it depends on a lot of factors. If it is a free site I see no issue with ads. Ads can be a great source of revenue for smaller websites. However when there are so many ads that the site is literally unusable then it becomes a big problem quickly. Especially since a majority of ads tend to just lead to malware. The lack of regulation when it comes to ads is what ruins it.

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
See it depends on a lot of factors. If it is a free site I see no issue with ads. Ads can be a great source of revenue for smaller websites. However when there are so many ads that the site is literally unusable then it becomes a big problem quickly. Especially since a majority of ads tend to just lead to malware. The lack of regulation when it comes to ads is what ruins it.
Chris Titus Tech talked about insufferable ads on one of his videos:

3:00

Really good YouTuber who doesn't rely on stupid false clickbait thumbnails. Some of the add-ons I use I heard from him. :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: LMAO