Doctor Who

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's an example of how the Angels kill you nicely.

Not that I don't hate that Angel for doing what it did right in front of me.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
This last episode brought on all of those feels. D: I had really grown to like those two, and it's a shame that their time on the show ended so abruptly and in such a way. I was truly hopeful that Amy and Rory wouldn't suffer a cruel end to their journey as so many others that traveled with the Doctor had, in one way or another. Buuut, remember, the show does have a funny way of working things back out, so perhaps this isn't the ultimate end of Amy and Rory. Remember, there's still half of a season to go after the Christmas special. Although, they've already revealed the new companion (which I'll throw into a spoiler below), that didn't stop the writers from bringing, say, Rose's story to a not as sad conclusion (she ends up with a complete family, as well as a man to love, and at that point, the parallel universe barely matters).

I still have hope that this isn't the last we'll be seeing of Amy and Rory.

Oh yeah, that new companion:

Her name is Oswin Oswald, and episode one of season seven was apparently the first bit of much time spent interacting with The Doctor.

ProtoKun7

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This last episode brought on all of those feels. D: I had really grown to like those two, and it's a shame that their time on the show ended so abruptly and in such a way. I was truly hopeful that Amy and Rory wouldn't suffer a cruel end to their journey as so many others that traveled with the Doctor had, in one way or another. Buuut, remember, the show does have a funny way of working things back out, so perhaps this isn't the ultimate end of Amy and Rory. Remember, there's still half of a season to go after the Christmas special. Although, they've already revealed the new companion (which I'll throw into a spoiler below), that didn't stop the writers from bringing, say, Rose's story to a not as sad conclusion (she ends up with a complete family, as well as a man to love, and at that point, the parallel universe barely matters).

I still have hope that this isn't the last we'll be seeing of Amy and Rory.

Oh yeah, that new companion:

Her name is Oswin Oswald, and episode one of season seven was apparently the first bit of much time spent interacting with The Doctor.
Nope.

Karen said a comeback would ruin the finality of the exit. And no, Oswin Oswald is someone else. The new companion's name according to some sources is Clara (surname possibly Oswin). Relative, genetic multiple, memory reminiscence, double, maybe. Same actress doesn't mean same character. We have Freema and Karen as evidence of that already.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's impossible to save them? The Doctor does at least a dozen impossible things before breakfast each day. I can think of several ways he could attempt to save them without making NYC explode or whatever. It makes the Doctor look mildly retarded that he can't think of anything.

ProtoKun7

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's impossible to save them? The Doctor does at least a dozen impossible things before breakfast each day. I can think of several ways he could attempt to save them without making NYC explode or whatever. It makes the Doctor look mildly retarded that he can't think of anything.
When you graduate from the Time Lord Academy you can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
When you graduate from the Time Lord Academy you can tell me what I'm doing wrong.
The reason he can't is the same reason he can't just jump in the TARDIS and stop any event he's involved in from happening. It'll cause a time paradox. Once you know something happens it has to happen that way or the Universe doesn't like you. The Doctor has seen their grave showing that they lived their entire lives in NYC and any interaction with him could stop that so the Universe will stop him by any means necessary.
The Doctor believes some events can't change. Fixed Points. This is one of them. He's seen them dead so how can he have saved them? Its a paradox on his own personal timeline.

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The reason he can't is the same reason he can't just jump in the TARDIS and stop any event he's involved in from happening. It'll cause a time paradox. Once you know something happens it has to happen that way or the Universe doesn't like you. The Doctor has seen their grave showing that they lived their entire lives in NYC and any interaction with him could stop that so the Universe will stop him by any means necessary.
The Doctor believes some events can't change. Fixed Points. This is one of them. He's seen them dead so how can he have saved them? Its a paradox on his own personal timeline.

He has not technically seen them dead. He just saw a tombstone with some familiar names on it. I like how it was fine for the 10th Doctor to figure out a way to save himself and Martha from the angels when they zapped them and took the Tardis, but its fucken impossible to do so for Amy and Rory because he read their names on a piece of rock.

New Who has become so mainstream compared to the classic series that once you get a part on the show your almost destine for more roles in other shows. Simply put I wouldn't be surprised if Karen and Arthur wanted to leave to pursue other things. Them leaving and bringing in JLC makes the show fresh again it's how it's always been if the Doctors not going to regenerate lets ditch the companion(s) and bring in new one(s). Personally I'm kinda happy Amy and Rory are gone and I'm sure that if they really wanted too that they could be brought back for the 50th next November. They put in a solid 2 and a half series and thats more than any of the past New Who companions to date and hopefully JLC as Oswin/Clara or what ever Dalek girls real name is going to be lives up to them. I mean for Christ sakes they gave the Doctor a wife.

Even tho River is actually dead, but because of them meeting at different points in time she is still around. The Doctor knows she is dead, but can't tell her about it.

I must say also that Moffat is a master of the twist in a story and I'm sure that some where in the past 5 episodes we all missed something that pertains to Oswin/Clara besides her showing up in the 1st episode.
I meen I remember hearing that sound of the Tardis while Amelia was sleeping in the yard waiting for the Doctors return in a few minutes, but thought nothing of it and now here a few series later I know what it has meant.

ProtoKun7

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I like how it was fine for the 10th Doctor to figure out a way to save himself and Martha from the angels when they zapped them and took the Tardis
Because Martha was still alive; it was just time travel out of the capsule.

Even tho River is actually dead, but because of them meeting at different points in time she is still around. The Doctor knows she is dead, but can't tell her about it.
She's not dead. She is already dead, but she isn't yet again. It's only a matter of timelines.

Gundam Eclipse

True Demon Route
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
India
Finished the second series.
I CRIED LIKE A BABY, AND HAVE NO REGRETS ADMITTING IT
Though I went 'wat' as soon as the new character appeared at the end of Doomsday, guess it will make sense once I watch the Runaway Bride~

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been watching some of the first Doctor episodes again recently and man I miss the episodes where it wasn't just "monster/alien of the week threat". There were some stories where they just went back in time, got in some trouble with humans or needed to help some humans and then went off to another time or place (the very first story An Unearthly Child was them being imprisoned by cavemen and having to survive through a power struggle), those stories were sometimes the strongest compared to the usual "alien threat" ones.

People seem to think that the supporting characters are more fleshed out in modern Who and that they play more of a important role then before, those people clearly haven't watch the first Doctor run. In fact they were far more important during the stories than the Doctor who always seem to be unconscious or captured...in fact he was mostly useless.

So yeah it would be nice if they looked at other aspects of science fiction rather than just aliens and monsters. One of the stories the TARDIS caused them and itself to shrink down on modern Earth and that would be something I'd like to see the new team try again. A little variety can go a long way.

Reactions: 1 person

ProtoKun7

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So yeah it would be nice if they looked at other aspects of science fiction rather than just aliens and monsters. One of the stories the TARDIS caused them and itself to shrink down on modern Earth and that would be something I'd like to see the new team try again. A little variety can go a long way.
At which point Ian decided to hide inside a matchbox.

Hadrian

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At which point Ian decided to hide inside a matchbox.
Not quite as genius as hiding in a bag.

Hadrian

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Grabbed the Ambassadors of Death DVD on Monday, really great to finally watch this as it was intended rather than the grainy b&w version that the Beeb saved. It's a really good restoration effort, it's not perfect but a lot better than what we had before. Not the best of stories but it's fun to watch but like with most Who DVD releases the extras are really worth the asking price.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Forced by the fact that I already watched seasons 2 through 7 of the revived series, I started watching season 1 with Chrostopher Eccleston, whom I found to be incredibly "wooden" before. On second glance, he's not that bad at all... Fun was had. :lol:

Hadrian

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Forced by the fact that I already watched seasons 2 through 7 of the revived series, I started watching season 1 with Chrostopher Eccleston, whom I found to be incredibly "wooden" before. On second glance, he's not that bad at all... Fun was had. :lol:
I found him to be less grating than the Tennant (he did too much oohing, awwing and squeeing for most episodes) and I do wish he had a couple of extra series left. I never really liked him as an actor before Who but he clearly had a lot of fun in this despite the fact that he distances himself from the series nowadays. Also I found series 1 to be a shitload better than all of the other RTD episodes. RTD could write some great episodes but then he ruins it by writing some truly dreadful ones or putting Catherine Tate in a whole series.

Gundam Eclipse

True Demon Route
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
India
About to rewatch Doctor Who from the beginning(2005), was on series 3 but I didn't watch for a while due to exams, thought it would be more fun to rewatch >3>
I have a question, but uh, I am not too sure if its against 'Temp rules or not. Are there any subtitles for this series I can get? I plan to rewatch it with some family members, and they would benefit greatly from having some English subtitles, me as well since my hearing isn't the best.
Again, I am not too sure if this counts against the rules, if it does, please ignore my question.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: I will still jump onto yours :D, from time to time Psi :evil::D