DS #3960: Dragon Quest IX: Hoshizora no Mamoribito (Japan)

Polyh3dron

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
elixirdream said:
Poly,
binary edit it
smile.gif

by the way whats your flash cart?
I have no idea how to binary edit it... and my flash cart is the CycloDS Evolution with the latest firmware beta.

dq addict

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I believe that the size of the game is just an excuse. Indeed, it is just a matter of SE wanting families to buy multiple copies; just like with DQM Joker, another game with great appeal for kids that strangely only allowed one savegame.

Kuschel-Drow

Trophies
Website
kuschel-drow.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Well a lot of good games only allow one savegame, but since I am the only one who touches my DS (I'd kill anyone who dared immediately anyway xD) I'm fine with it.
smile.gif

I didn't look into this game yet, but it's clear that I'll get it once it's out in the US or EU. Got the others too and I kinda like them. But honestly I'm really fed up with trying games in japanese if they're going to be localized anyway. I can as well wait and THEN see something new. ^^"

Vater Unser

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
kikoexe said:
Vater Unser said:
The number of save states has nothing to do whatsoever with the size of the game.

apparently for this game, that's not what Square Enix says.. read all about it here..
wink.gif
Well, so that's what they say. Would love to know their excuse for selling FFIV-2 in like 10 seperate packages, too, but well, I'm not here to bash SE, just pointing out that you shouldn't blindly believe anything anyone who wants to take the money out of your pocket tells you.
Now, admittedly I don't know what exactly the game lets you do that could make the savestate really big (like, let's say, being able to paint your own clothes, like in Animal Crossing, or having voice recognition, like in Nintendogs), but assuming that the game has similar features as its predecessors, they must have messed up really badly if they can't squeeze two savestates (including backup saves) into 64kb, let alone 128kb or even 256kb. That's a huge load of space for saving a couple of parameters. You could write an essay describing the state of all of your characters and your game progression on a sheet of paper, and there's no way that could turn out 16000 characters long...Catch my drift?

Anyone who's actually played the game can feel free to correct me, but I just can't imagine how the save data of the game could possibly take up that much space.

elixirdream

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malaysia
Vater Unser said:
kikoexe said:
Vater Unser said:
The number of save states has nothing to do whatsoever with the size of the game.

apparently for this game, that's not what Square Enix says.. read all about it here..
wink.gif
Well, so that's what they say. Would love to know their excuse for selling FFIV-2 in like 10 seperate packages, too, but well, I'm not here to bash SE, just pointing out that you shouldn't blindly believe anything anyone who wants to take the money out of your pocket tells you.
Now, admittedly I don't know what exactly the game lets you do that could make the savestate really big (like, let's say, being able to paint your own clothes, like in Animal Crossing, or having voice recognition, like in Nintendogs), but assuming that the game has similar features as its predecessors, they must have messed up really badly if they can't squeeze two savestates (including backup saves) into 64kb, let alone 128kb or even 256kb. That's a huge load of space for saving a couple of parameters. You could write an essay describing the state of all of your characters and your game progression on a sheet of paper, and there's no way that could turn out 16000 characters long...Catch my drift?

Anyone who's actually played the game can feel free to correct me, but I just can't imagine how the save data of the game could possibly take up that much space.

well, if thats what they say! regardless i want to believe it or not, i have to accept the damn fact it is 1 .sav only!
therefore, i am just quoting whatever they said~! true or not.. only SE knows it
meanwhile i am making multiple backups just to make sure i can go back whatever i might missed out!

anyway, i am with you
smile.gif
if SE don't make the game 1 save only how could they reach their goal easier by selling 5 million copies? (based on what you guys said...a game that can't be share among friends and families) *Kidding*

the unofficial sales for 1st day was 2.88 million
smile.gif

Necromanson

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't even played this game because I don't know the language, and I don't care because I'm the only one that uses my DS but...

...the one save slot does sound like a load of BS to me. I just hope that somebody gets an English translation patch out there before the official release here in the states, the wait is going to feel like FOREVER.

dq addict

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
My problem with only one savestate is not just not being able to share the game; I am alone anyway. But I want to be able to restart the game someday without having to delete all my achievements. For this reason alone I will only play the game on my R4 even after I bought the EU-version.

About what could make the savegame big; well, there is stuff like the free character-customization and the 200 optional quests you can take on. I guess that would make the file bigger than DQ IV or DQ V. But I doubt it makes it sou huge SE couldn´t squeeze a second one in. The company has just become a gang of money-sucking vampires since Square and Enix fused.

elixirdream

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malaysia
if my findings are not wrong
the optional quest somehow shares the same address as the main quest (non story)
smile.gif

in short you are only limited to fixed numbers of optional + main quest
you won't be able to do all

another amazing part about the game is weekly new missions/quest. you can download them via wifi for 52 weeks
smile.gif

yes this game is huge! these are my own findings via hex study (i could be wrong)
144 or more consumable items
264 weapons
44 shields
180 upper body arm
84 lower body arm
132 head gears
76 hand gears
100 foot wears
52 accessories

excluding plot items

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
dq addict said:
Amazing how the 2-cartridge-hoax is still floating around. IIRC it was from 2006!
biggrin.gif
I think back then nobody knew there are ds-cartridges, that can hold up to 256mb
tongue.gif

This game is amazing and so polished. You can really see, that it matters, if the game gets the IX behind its name! Numbered sequels are always special, because it seem that there is more effort behind the projects (in most cases I might add).

But it seems there is still no release date for the west
frown.gif

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

Henjo

Trophies
XP
Country
Master Mo said:
Chanser said:
You should check out the Amazon reviews, seems like over half are giving it 1-3 stars.
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B000LXD...;pf_rd_i=489986
I would guess, that it has something to do with when Amazon.jp shipped the game... Otherwise it would be strange to already see consumer-reviews, since they officially have the game for four days.

Most of the reviews complain about the 5 year wait, the Wi-Fi being slow, pace of the game, story, length, and character avatars. In my opinion the game has not made any major changes, aside from the look. It's your basic DQ game, which is why I like it. Though I understand how everyone feels, I believe expectations were way to high.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/ZQhiwti-pK0?si=LTqU_S8Xm2fYnlQg