Homebrew DS(i) NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So recently I dug out my DSi XL, It's blue and in excellent condition. At first I thought it was borked with a dead fuse or something as it wouldnt power on, but removing and replacing the battery fixed that. Works fine now, so I'm interested in modding it. My main interest in doing so is because the giant screen is still only at DS resolution, I'm thinking this might be the ultimate (other than Analogue Pocket I guess) handheld display for GBA. At original resolution GBA displays just a bit smaller than an original GBA screen on my 3DS XL, but I think on the DSi XL it might be larger. (?)

Anyway, a couple questions:

1) I know there's a GBARunner thread, but just 1 quick question about that: Is GBA run natively on a hacked DSi (using GBARunner), or is it emulation? I know all models of DS including the DSi should have the hardware to run GBA natively, but just want to be sure first.

2) Is there a size and type limit on the SD card? I found an honest-to-goodness 2GB SD in the console lol. Not SDHC, not SDXC ... just plain old SD. Don't see many of those anymore. But, can the DSi work with a 32GB SDHC?

Last edited by Hanafuda,

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So recently I dug out my DSi XL, It's blue and in excellent condition. At first I thought it was borked with a dead fuse or something as it wouldnt power on, but removing and replacing the battery fixed that. Works fine now, so I'm interested in modding it. My main interest in doing so is because the giant screen is still only at DS resolution, I'm thinking this might be the ultimate (other than Analogue Pocket I guess) handheld display for GBA. At original resolution GBA displays just a bit smaller than an original GBA screen on my 3DS XL, but I think on the DSi XL it might be larger. (?)

Anyway, a couple questions:

1) I know there's a GBARunner thread, but just 1 quick question about that: Is GBA run natively on a hacked DSi (using GBARunner), or is it emulation? I know all models of DS including the DSi should have the hardware to run GBA natively, but just want to be sure first.

2) Is there a size and type limit on the SD card? I found an honest-to-goodness 2GB SD in the console lol. Not SDHC, not SDXC ... just plain old SD. Don't see many of those anymore. But, can the DSi work with a 32GB SDHC?
  1. GBARunner is a GBA hypervisor, so it's half-native and half-emulation.
  2. Yes, the limit should be 2TB (the max that FAT32 can handle).

Reactions: CoolMe and Hanafuda

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply @RocketRobz. After browsing the latest pages in the GBARunner thread, I think I will wait for 3 to come along. My DSi XL's been dormant a decade, it can hold on a little longer.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply @RocketRobz. After browsing the latest pages in the GBARunner thread, I think I will wait for 3 to come along. My DSi XL's been dormant a decade, it can hold on a little longer.
This might not be what you're looking for but, some late era DS games look really good on the DSi XL, much better than the Lite and/ or any 3ds model, and the battery life imo is the best of all the models too..

Reactions: Hanafuda

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This might not be what you're looking for but, some late era DS games look really good on the DSi XL, much better than the Lite and/ or any 3ds model, and the battery life imo is the best of all the models too..

Although it digs into the batt life a bit, I've got a DSTwo so don't need to do anything right away to play DS. And I've got plenty of ways to play GBA too, just thinking those big chunky pixels will look fantastic.

Reactions: CoolMe

Switchoslav

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Hello, I was up all night trying to get this R4 Card working but nothing, I'm getting "Menu ?" error all the time which means that the kernel is not for my card. This is some cheap card from Aliexpress, anyone knows which kernel would be good for this card?

Attachments

• IMG_9774.jpg
    IMG_9774.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_9775.jpg
    IMG_9775.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 20

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: Blythe93

yoooblls

Trophies
XP
Country
Cambodia
Can anyone here know why neods converter not converting my garou game to .neo
Or somebody pls teach me to convert it like man i alr did step by step but it still dont work?

giggydog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hiya helper or twilight menu not showing and I can't get out of file
menu

Attachments

• IMG_20240101_040413.jpg
    IMG_20240101_040413.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15

giggydog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm using a chromebook lol does the windows version work? Also know any other homebrew that don't take unlaunch
Post automatically merged:

and my Chromebook is from 2012 Know any online formatters that will format into FAT32?

Last edited by giggydog,

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm using a chromebook lol does the windows version work? Also know any other homebrew that don't take unlaunch
Post automatically merged:

and my Chromebook is from 2012 Know any online formatters that will format into FAT32?
You'll need to have access to a Windows, Linux, or macOS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgCjp3-rF_Y