EA faces layoffs of 350 workers from marketing and publishing branches

ea-logo-16-9.jpg

Electronics Arts will be laying some of its workers later today, as stated by EA's CEO Andrew Wilson. In what's being claimed as "addressing our challenges and preparing for the opportunities ahead", 350 employees in EA's 9,000-person workforce will be laid off. Those affected are staff pertaining to the marketing and publishing divisions of EA, which Wilson says will help "streamline decision-making".

This follows some fairly significant losses related to the gaming industry in the recent months, such as Square Enix shuttering their Luminous Productions studio and losing 33 million, or Activision-Blizzard laying off a massive 800 workers earlier this year.

Today we took some important steps as a company to address our challenges and prepare for the opportunities ahead. As we look across a changing world around us, it’s clear that we must change with it. We’re making deliberate moves to better deliver on our commitments, refine our organization and meet the needs of our players. As part of this, we have made changes to our marketing and publishing organization, our operations teams, and we are ramping down our current presence in Japan and Russia as we focus on different ways to serve our players in those markets. In addition to organizational changes, we are deeply focused on increasing quality in our games and services. Great games will continue to be at the core of everything we do, and we are thinking differently about how to amaze and inspire our players.

This is a difficult day. The changes we’re making today will impact about 350 roles in our 9,000-person company. These are important but very hard decisions, and we do not take them lightly. We are friends and colleagues at EA, we appreciate and value everyone’s contributions, and we are doing everything we can to ensure we are looking after our people to help them through this period to find their next opportunity. This is our top priority.

All employees impacted by the layoffs will be given a severance package.

:arrow: Source

SkittleDash

Head Nurse
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I just want to use this opportunity to point out how bad those blue info boxes look on mobile.

View attachment 162047

Who designed this?

...What's the issue? Looks fine to me. It's called optimizing since you're viewing the page vertically. What did you expect?

Anyway, EA are being dumbasses right now. Then again... They always have been.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Dont kno why the hate for them they giv us great sports games be it fifa hockey madden

Recycled sports games that end up in the 1 quid bin within 2 months?

Lumince

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for the employees.... But I don't think it was their fault no one bought their games... I very rarely meet people that want games that even have EA stamped on it.. Makes me throw up everytime I see EA pop up on Apex when I boot it up... But they didn't make it so thats why its good lol

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I feel bad for the employees but good god what is it going to take for EA to wake up an notice we dont want your garbage

EA has a deserved reputation for a reason but this probably has to do with the pushback against Lootboxes and other kind of abuses.

Recycled sports games that end up in the 1 quid bin within 2 months?

Now let's be fair, they end on sale at half the price as soon as a "New Version" that only changes characters names and designs is out. This is particularly bad with Football and Soccer games. To the point that in PC is not worth buying a new version since yoi can hack the game to change names. The game engine of sports games only gets updated like once every three or four years and that's it.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Now let's be fair, they end on sale at half the price as soon as a "New Version" that only changes characters names and designs is out. This is particularly bad with Football and Soccer games. To the point that in PC is not worth buying a new version since yoi can hack the game to change names. The game engine of sports games only gets updated like once every three or four years and that's it.

I'm pretty sure I can get Fifa 19 for less then a tenner.
That's 1/6th the retail price for a game that's "new".

Reactions: Deleted User

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Fifa 19 came out end Sept so hardly new and so what if priced reduced better for us and for the amount of hours I've put in fifa price doesn't bother me

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina

That's because Soccer games are not that popular in the USA to start with. Go to Europe or Latin America and they get played a lot more. And the price of "last year version" doesn't go lower than 40% of what it cost new.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
That's because Soccer games are not that popular in the USA to start with. Go to Europe or Latin America and they get played a lot more. And the price of "last year version" doesn't go lower than 40% of what it cost new.

Mate, I don't live in the US lol.

Reactions: CrossOut

VartioArtel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dont kno why the hate for them they giv us great sports games be it fifa hockey madden
EA has a trail of toilet paper - still covered in turd - that goes back miles of their history.

Releasing the same game multiple times with minor cosmetic tweaks (Nascar 95 and 98 being personally familiar to me).

Releasing lootboxes in predatory manners.

Releasing DLC with no content and high cost.

No real gameplay improvements to their sequal games.

Ending studios who didn't want to go down a live model.

Claiming games who aren't profitting as much as they desire a 'failure', even if it's the top selling game for that and the next few months.

Sacking employees because they didn't meet their expectations.

The CEO gets absurd benefits in Stock and other non-Cash rewards and the sort, while still retaining a fairly large pay, while simultaneously firing employees or docking pay because "We're not doing so well Mr Stark".

I could go on. EA is basically the definition of greed in the gaming market.

Last edited by VartioArtel,
Reactions: tyrantnyx

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel bad for the employees but good god what is it going to take for EA to wake up an notice we dont want your garbage
EA could close down all their studios, except the sports division, and still stay afloat. Fifa makes insane amounts of money.

Reactions: Ryccardo

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
EA has a trail of toilet paper - still covered in turd - that goes back miles of their history.

Releasing the same game multiple times with minor cosmetic tweaks (Nascar 95 and 98 being personally familiar to me).

Claiming games who aren't profitting as much as they desire a 'failure', even if it's the top selling game for that and the next few months.

The CEO gets absurd benefits in Stock and other non-Cash rewards and the sort, while still retaining a fairly large pay.

So much kno ther you must of worked for them

The CEO gets absurd benefits in Stock and other non-Cash rewards and the sort, while still retaining a fairly large pay, while simultaneously firing employees or docking pay because "We're not doing so well Mr Stark".

So much you seem to kno did you work for them lol re sequels a football game is a football game you can hardly make different environments levels etc thers always gameplay tweaks to improve the ai sound and graphics and movement and for 40 quid a year thts great value

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wish EA would stop making games and give Frostbite to community instead, that would lead to the growth of some crazy ass games that EA would never be up to...

Or I don't also know what games would we have if Dice wasn't from EA...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: so sad