emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I can honestly think of literally only 3 reasons as to why consoles may be better than PCs:

• Possibly a few days earlier launch on some titles
  • Good for people who are too lazy to update their GPU driver once in a while (takes 5 minutes at most).
Seriously, throw anything you want at me.

Console exclusives?

Scuba156

Trophies
XP
Country
I can honestly think of literally only 3 reasons as to why consoles may be better than PCs:

• Good for people who are too lazy to update their GPU driver once in a while (takes 5 minutes at most).
How about a brick? Can I throw that at you?

Reactions: Phoenix Goddess

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dammit I thought I wrote that. >.<

Anyway, to counter, PC has literally tons of exclusive games (many being indie)that never arrive on console. Consoles have maybe 4 or 5 per console that don't make PC.

Best solution - buy one of each.

PS3, 360, Wii, and PC. Now I'm not missing anything.

Well, out of that generation, at least.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Personally:
  • Price
  • Portability
  • Ability to game/stream while someone else is computing (I can work on my cheap laptop while my wife games/streams on our cheap console, and vice-versa)
  • Convenience
  • No bullshit DRM
All of which I mentioned much, much earlier and was met with "you're lazy" and "consoles are inferior". Contrary to popular opinion in this thread, I never said consoles were a superior gaming platform... Someone else said consoles were "inferior" and I asked why. People could not accept the notion that there are circumstances and situations where PCs are not the most economical option or that some people just want to play a game and have no need for the best graphics, access to thousands of exclusive/indie games, multitasking, gameplay recording, etc... I might buy 2 new games a year and a handful of digital downloads/pre-owned titles. Why would I need all that stuff? Anyways, Scuba156 and McHaggis have already said everything I should have said to begin with...

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We'll use DRM they said. It will prevent customers from resorting to piracy they said.

So, company uses draconian DRM, they underestimate the no. of purchases, countless people try to log on and overload the severs' capacity, EA temporarily pulls ads for Sim City, possible account ban if you complain against EA for not refunding. Yep, a surefire plan for customer retention. Where have I heard of that happening before...oh wait, I never have.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

• Cheaper console price (a great gaming computer that plays everything well will probably fetch around $1000+)
  • More streamlined
  • Local multiplayer
  • Better controls (for some people/games)
  • Some great exclusives

Reactions: the_randomizer

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Dammit I thought I wrote that. >.<

Anyway, to counter, PC has literally tons of exclusive games (many being indie)that never arrive on console. Consoles have maybe 4 or 5 per console that don't make PC.

I have around fifteen console exclusives on my shelf right now...

I don't want to get into a consoles vs PC arguement cuz each have their pros and cons. However I will criticise retarded points.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MS refurbed phat Xbox 360 - December 2009 - Console/headset/20GB HDD/2 controllers - $149.99+ MI sales tax...so you're right, I paid $158.98 which is more than half of $300.
Not sure where I suggested I bought anything new.
For the record, I wasn't counting tax with that as it varies per state/province. And that makes sense then, though I don't typically consider buying refurbished game consoles, though it's not a bad, cost efficient idea.

Personally:
  • Price
  • Portability
  • Ability to game/stream while someone else is computing (I can work on my cheap laptop while my wife games/streams on our cheap console, and vice-versa)
  • Convenience
  • No bullshit DRM
All of which I mentioned much, much earlier and was met with "you're lazy" and "consoles are inferior". Contrary to popular opinion in this thread, I never said consoles were a superior gaming platform... Someone else said consoles were "inferior" and I asked why. People could not accept the notion that there are circumstances and situations where PCs are not the most economical option or that some people just want to play a game and have no need for the best graphics, access to thousands of exclusive/indie games, multitasking, gameplay recording, etc... I might buy 2 new games a year and a handful of digital downloads/pre-owned titles. Why would I need all that stuff? Anyways, Scuba156 and McHaggis have already said everything I should have said to begin with...

Price - neither here nor there. Working retail I get to see game prices as they come out. Most interesting example I saw where you're wrong on that is Prototype 2 - retailed at $60 for consoles, but was retailing at $50 for pc... then a week later was discontinued... I guess consoles won that one.

However, then you have digital download sales, on all platforms but more prominently on PC.

Portability - unless you're toting a gaming laptop, I'll give you that one. I don't know many who would lug their PS3/360 somewhere (as I am bringing mine to my friend's tonight, go figure.)

game/stream - I mean... that IS kind of inherent when you have more than one device...

Convenience - if anything I see PC winning out here due to the fat that it's pretty much an all-in-one device. Internet/Game/Multimedia/Emulation of most older consoles, and side-by-side processing of such tasks too.

No bullshit DRM - watch this change on next-gen consoles, I'm sure. Probably going to be just as bad as it is on PC then.

Personally, I'd say that having a decent desktop is the king platform. I know many who don't PC game though, and you ARE right in what you're saying. What goes for others doesn't go for you, and vice versa. I have all 3 game consoles from current/previous gen (Wii, 360, PS3), as well as a gaming desktop, a few Android devices, and most of the handheld game consoles currently. I use my PC the most. I also have the options of ALL of those other consoles, so I really can't complain period.

Reactions: Wizerzak

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
  • Cheaper console price (a great gaming computer that plays everything well will probably fetch around $1000+)
  • More streamlined
  • Local multiplayer
  • Better controls (for some people/games)
  • Some great exclusives

Don't forget not having to worry about DRM or rootkits that so-called anti-piracy measures install.

Reactions: Sicklyboy

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
We'll use DRM they said. It will prevent customers from resorting to piracy they said.

So, company uses draconian DRM, they underestimate the no. of purchases, countless people try to log on and overload the severs' capacity, EA temporarily pulls ads for Sim City, possible account ban if you complain against EA for not refunding. Yep, a surefire plan for customer retention. Where have I heard of that happening before...oh wait, I never have.
That is NOT what happened. He didn't just complain or ask for a refund. The idiot threatened to report EA for fraud.

Reactions: Guild McCommunist

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Personally:
  • Price
  • Portability
  • Convenience
  • No bullshit DRM

As for the price:

Everyone has a PC nowadays, it's basically a requirement in 1st world countries. Besides, if you don't you have no business going and buying a console.

So, assume the average family PC costs about £300-£400. And a good gaming PC costs about £800
£800 - £350 = £450 (this is how much extra you are spending to get a gaming PC instead of a home pc, think of it like buying a home PC then a console on top)
Average console launch price (previous gen, maybe more next gen) = £300
£450 - £300 = £150

Now say you buy 15 games for that console over that 5 years (3 per year, still not a lot). Console prices per game are about £40 on average, but I'll be generous and say £30.
15 * £30 = £450
£300 (console) + £450 (games) = £750

I have 200 games in my Steam library over the past 2 years and haven't spent more than £100 thanks to Steam sales (probably a lot less actually). That makes PC games + PC cost:
£450 (PC) + £100 (games) = £550.

That's a whole £200 cheaper than console gaming. Now you can argue the prices of peripherals, upgrading, buying second hand console games or whatever, but you're still not going to get close.

Not to mention the fact that you now also have a top-spec gaming PC not only for playing games but video editing, multi-tasking and emulating as well.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is NOT what happened. He didn't just complain or ask for a refund. The idiot threatened to report EA for fraud.

I'm going to agree here, if you're really trying to accuse a company of fraud due to a server issue which renders the game unplayable then yeah, they feel threatened and will take action.

Not to mention the fact that you now also have a top-spec gaming PC not only for playing games but video editing, multi-tasking and emulating as well.

You'll probably pay more/as much for good video production software than you're computer, since we're assuming we're all good little boys here who buy their software.

The Adobe Master Collection (which has video editing, animation, audio editing, etc included) is like... $2,600 on their site.

Reactions: JoostinOnline

Dr. Ivo Robotnik

All hail the Eggman Empire!
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Oh good grief. SIMCITY THREAD. NOT PC VS CONSOLE THREAD.

On the matter of the whole fraud accusation thing - I'm in two minds over it. On the one end, calling it fraud and claiming your money back as such is pointless and really rather sad. On the other end, the fact that EA promised refunds and instantaneously backpedaled behind their 'um, at our discretion, honest.' copout is equally pathetic and deserves to be called out.

So in conclusion - claiming money back on a fraud claim is stupid. Refusing refunds over an exceptionally shoddy release after promising same is nasty. :P

Reactions: Scuba156

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As for the price:

Everyone has a PC nowadays, it's basically a requirement in 1st world countries. Besides, if you don't you have no business going and buying a console.

So, assume the average family PC costs about £300-£400. And a good gaming PC costs about £800
£800 - £350 = £450 (this is how much extra you are spending to get a gaming PC instead of a home pc, think of it like buying a home PC then a console on top)
£450 - £300 = £150

Now say you buy 15 games for that console over that 5 years (3 per year, still not a lot). Console prices per game are about £40 on average, but I'll be generous and say £30.
15 * £30 = £450

I have 200 games in my Steam library over the past 2 years and haven't spent more than £100 thanks to Steam sales (probably a lot less actually). That makes PC games + PC cost:

That's a whole £200 cheaper than console gaming. Now you can argue the prices of peripherals, upgrading, buying second hand console games or whatever, but you're still not going to get close.

Good gaming PC costs £800.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As for the price:

£450 - £300 = £150

15 * £30 = £450

And if my computing needs are limited to Word and Excel? Who says I buy consoles at launch prices? I usually try and stay 3 or so years behind "the latest thing" so as not to have to pay out the ass for it and then catch up on the big releases of the previous few years (which at this point are significantly discounted...). If I only spent $150 (£100) on my console, then I've made up the £200 cheaper in your figures right there...not including discounted/pre-owned games. Different strokes for different folks.

Reactions: Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to agree here, if you're really trying to accuse a company of fraud due to a server issue which renders the game unplayable then yeah, they feel threatened and will take action.

At the same time, EA's EULA/Origin's TOS do not sit above EU law, where the good or service sold was not as advertised and/or defective (edit) which warranted a refund.

Though I don't know enough about EU law to back the intricacies of it, that is just what was where he got off saying he was going to claim a malicious charge on his card.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
And if my computing needs are limited to Word and Excel? Who says I buy consoles at launch prices? I usually try and stay 3 or so years behind "the latest thing" so as not to have to pay out the ass for it and then catch up on the big releases of the previous few years (which at this point are significantly discounted...). If I only spent $150 (£100) on my console, then I've made up the £200 cheaper in your figures right there...not including discounted/pre-owned games. Different strokes for different folks.
Fair enough, but: :P

cutting_edge.png

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Not a big fan of NES kid Icarus either... I know it was popular but I didn't care for it.