EA Refuse to Refund SimCity - Possible account ban if you take action

D

Deleted_171835

As for the price:

Everyone has a PC nowadays, it's basically a requirement in 1st world countries. Besides, if you don't you have no business going and buying a console.

So, assume the average family PC costs about £300-£400. And a good gaming PC costs about £800
£800 - £350 = £450 (this is how much extra you are spending to get a gaming PC instead of a home pc, think of it like buying a home PC then a console on top)
Average console launch price (previous gen, maybe more next gen) = £300
£450 - £300 = £150

Now say you buy 15 games for that console over that 5 years (3 per year, still not a lot). Console prices per game are about £40 on average, but I'll be generous and say £30.
15 * £30 = £450
£300 (console) + £450 (games) = £750

I have 200 games in my Steam library over the past 2 years and haven't spent more than £100 thanks to Steam sales (probably a lot less actually). That makes PC games + PC cost:
£450 (PC) + £100 (games) = £550.

That's a whole £200 cheaper than console gaming. Now you can argue the prices of peripherals, upgrading, buying second hand console games or whatever, but you're still not going to get close.

Not to mention the fact that you now also have a top-spec gaming PC not only for playing games but video editing, multi-tasking and emulating as well.
Okay, I buy a used PS3 for $150.

And then I hack that PS3 so games cost a grand total of $0 (cause we're all pirates here right?)

That's a whole $150 compared to the $700+ you would spend on a gaming PC. Not to mention all the exclusives I would get.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay, I buy a used PS3 for $150.

And then I hack that PS3 so games cost a grand total of $0.

That's a whole $150 compared to the $700+ you would spend on a gaming PC. Not to mention all the exclusives I would
Good luck getting a used console at / within a year or 2 of launch for $150.

Even more good luck getting a hacked console within 4 years of launch.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fair enough, but: :P

cutting_edge.png
Come on now... I got around to Portal in 2011...give me a little credit

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Then get a console at launch. The Wii U is $300. The PS4 is rumored at $400.

Still beats the $1000+ you'll pay for a GOOD gaming computer.

Dr. Ivo Robotnik

All hail the Eggman Empire!
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I think the original point to this thread hasn't so much faded as much as it has been brutally butchered. Could be me. :P

I'll go look into other things to post, I s'ppose.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You appear to have missed my post with all the maths. :wink:

I'm just not seeing the point in trying to disprove that PCs are "cheaper" when they're not. Yeah, if you pirate every game or get them on a lag then the game prices will be better but same on a console.

To go to the aforementioned car metaphor, a PC could be a Mustang and a console could be a Honda Civic. In the end they're still cars, in the end they'll still drive me from point A to point B in relatively the same manner, the difference is that one's a little fancier but more expensive. You invest more into something you get more.

Also consoles get a lot of exclusives that PCs don't. Just looking at my game shelf now we got: As I said before, I've got at least 7 PS3 exclusive games, not to mention PS2 HD ports and PSN-owned games.

Consoles have pros, PCs have pros, no one is superior, can we just fucking deal with it?

EDIT: For the record I drive a Honda Civic and have driven a Mustang. Mustang's drive nicer but I've driven the Honda a lot more and it's perfectly fine. It's reliable and has gotten me everywhere fine.

boombox

Trophies
XP
Country
It's pretty rich for them to ban your whole origin account on asking for a refund.
That's low. But EA are a bag of sh*t when it comes to customer service and infamous for DRM

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm just not seeing the point in trying to disprove that PCs are "cheaper" when they're not. Yeah, if you pirate every game or get them on a lag then the game prices will be better but same on a console.

To go to the aforementioned car metaphor, a PC could be a Mustang and a console could be a Honda Civic. In the end they're still cars, in the end they'll still drive me from point A to point B in relatively the same manner, the difference is that one's a little fancier but more expensive. You invest more into something you get more.

Also consoles get a lot of exclusives that PCs don't. Just looking at my game shelf now we got: As I said before, I've got at least 7 PS3 exclusive games, not to mention PS2 HD ports and PSN-owned games.

Consoles have pros, PCs have pros, no one is superior, can we just fucking deal with it?

EDIT: For the record I drive a Honda Civic and have driven a Mustang. Mustang's drive nicer but I've driven the Honda a lot more and it's perfectly fine. It's reliable and has gotten me everywhere fine.
I'd rather the Mustang myself.

Just sayin'.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

Okay, I'll throw a curveball here.

Let's say that you have bought that gaming PC of yours at the beginning of the last generation, meaning late 2005 - early 2006. Can you honestly say that all contemporary video games are working perfectly fine on it now, in 2013, without having to upgrade any of the base components at all?

That's the whole point behind having dedicated gaming hardware - you pop a game in and it "just works". With PC it's not always so simple - you have to consider background processes, increasingly demanding OS'es (not memory-wise anymore, but Aero does take a toll on the GPU which is something worth noting), tons upon tons of libraries and loads of other gunk consoles simply don't have to deal with.

Regardless of whether it's 2006 or 2013, a PS3 and a 360 work the exact same way - pop a game in and it works. You have a guarantee that the game will be playable on your hardware. With PC, no such guarantee is given.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Be careful with the car analogies Guild... I compared a PC to a Ferrari and console to a Honda Civic (which I also drive *high five*) earlier in the thread and it deemed ridiculous...

You appear to have missed my post with all the maths. :wink:
You appear to have missed the $s and £s...
$1000 = £670

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Whether or not a refund was deserved is beside the point
  1. He threatened EA as a company by reporting the charge as fraud. That is a very serious accusation, one that leads to law suits.
  2. Brian (the Customer Service employee) never said that the customer would have his Origin account blocked. He said that there was a chance that action would be taken against it. That means there was a POSSIBILITY of some sort of penalty.
  3. Customer Service does not speak for EA as a company anyway.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I mean, that's how it's MEANT to be. When it comes to consoles, games and PC components it's far from that for some reason. We really get screwed over here in Europe for seemingly no reason whatsoever other than they can charge they because we have no other option (see region locking).

SuzieJoeBob

NOT a New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol...if I was offended in any way I know where the report button is. I'm just confused as to where you started reading this conversation... It must've been sometime after Hells Malice started talking about one being superior over the other since I never said anything of the sort. In fact, my stance has been diffrint strokes for diffrint folks. But go ahead and continue talking things out of context and assuming to know my intentions. It's kind of ironic that you jumped into the conversation (after it had ended I might add) and made it a point to tell me my posts were off-topic without yourself adding anything of any substance to the thread... "Report" and "Reply" have a few of the same letters so I can see how you might confuse the two, but "Report" is the one on the bottom-left of each post. At this point, I'm either a troll or misunderstood, meaning, you're either feeding the troll or an asshole...

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

- Robert McCloskey
lol. People actually using the "Report" button. When did this happen???

TheDreamLord

Trophies
Website
darkraino1.zymichost.com
XP
Country

PCs can emulate, therefore that's a few extra consoles in that one 1000$. Then you have the fact that it does a lot more than a gaming console, and does more. THEN you don't have to spend money on controllers(bar the keyboard and mouse), peripherals, and games tend to be cheaper through Steam. Also you can download the games, with the less hassle of moving around or scratching a disk. It's also a more customised experience.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I can put like 90 songs on a CD lol