• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Elon promises to pay your legal bills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I think he has a point. It can be harder to hold onto money than it is to earn it. If you have luxuries in your life, such as games, free time to talk on internet forums, and the like... then complaining about people being rich seems moot and counterproductive, and maybe even vain/conceited/hypocritical. If you wanted to be rich more than you wanted to be "comfortable" I'm sure you'd start acting in productive ways instead of the empty lip service, excuses, and emotional grift.

People have different ideas of what it means to be "rich". Finding out what it means for you is probably step 1 if it is something you want in your life.
I don't want to be rich. I want nobody to be as rich as Musk, because no one person should be that much of a drain on the Earth's resources and other people. Calling billionaires "leeches" would be too generous.

Reactions: tabzer

tabzer

This place is a meme.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I don't want to be rich. I want nobody to be as rich as Musk, because no one person should be that much of a drain on the Earth's resources and other people. Calling billionaires "leeches" would be too generous.

It might be possible that Musk doesn't want to be "rich", too. He wants to spend the money somehow and him being born rich didn't make him a "leech".

I think no matter how he spends his money people will complain. It seems like he is in a position to spend money on things he believes in. But who knows?

Edit: I also want to clarify my previous statement of what rich means to you--that it is not strictly related to "financial freedom".

Last edited by tabzer,
  • Haha
Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
It might be possible that Musk doesn't want to be "rich", too. He wants to spend the money somehow and him being born rich didn't make him a "leech".
$44 billion dollars spent correctly could feed the entire world for any number of years. He chose to spend it on a social media platform to further inflate his own ego instead. That's basically all you need to know about Elon Musk. Well, that and the fact that he has ten kids who he never interacts with.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
$44 billion dollars spent correctly could feed the entire world for any number of years. He chose to spend it on a social media platform to further inflate his own ego instead. That's basically all you need to know about Elon Musk. Well, that and the fact that he has ten kids who he never interacts with.

Feeding the world for a time isn't going to end world hunger, as the parable goes... Even if you believe that it's true, I have doubt that Elon believes what you do. If you really want to end world hunger, get $44 billion. I just see posturing on your part.

You don't want to be rich, you say? Whaaaat? You don't want to end world hunger???

Nice corner.

Last edited by tabzer,

JeepX87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Feeding the world for a time isn't going to end world hunger, as the parable goes... Even if you believe that it's true, I have doubt that Elon believes what you do. If you really want to end world hunger, get $44 billion. I just see posturing on your part.

You don't want to be rich, you say? Whaaaat? You don't want to end world hunger???

Nice corner.
$44 billions is enough for @Xzi to walk with you and your tiger in beautiful Colorado mountain.

Reactions: tabzer and Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Even if you believe that it's true, I have doubt that Elon believes what you do.
Of course he doesn't, he's a useless entitled twat with zero morals or ethics.

Nice corner.
I said I want nobody to be that rich. Without billionaires sucking up far more than they need or could even possibly want, we wouldn't have artificial scarcity in food, shelter, clothing, and medicine. The Musks and Trumps of the world believe Marie Antoinette was the hero of her story.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Obviously you don't want anyone to be rich because you aren't. Otherwise we'd be sure that you'd be solving world hunger.

useless entitled twat with zero morals or ethics

I'd say this pot càlling kettle... But one is clearly more useful.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Obviously you don't want anyone to be rich because you aren't. Otherwise we'd be sure that you'd be solving world hunger.
This is circular logic. I can't guarantee I too wouldn't turn out to be a useless entitled twat with zero morals or ethics if I was born into the type of wealth that Musk was. So if you're positing that vast amounts of money corrupts, I don't disagree. Which only further reinforces my argument that billionaires should not exist.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
$44 billions is enough for @Xzi to walk with you and your tiger in beautiful Colorado mountain.

No way. I'm obviously much too important for him. :rofl:

This is circular logic. I can't guarantee I too wouldn't turn out to be a useless entitled twat with zero morals or ethics if I was born into the type of wealth that Musk was. So if you're positing that vast amounts of money corrupts, I don't disagree. Which only further reinforces my argument that billionaires should not exist.
I didn't posit that. Others have, and I see the sense. Not my argument, and I don't see where it's yours. If it's yours, then expecting Elon to be beyond human is dumb on your part.

• Haha
Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
If it's yours, then expecting Elon to be beyond human is dumb on your part.
I'm sure Elon does consider himself "beyond human," but that's the opposite of what I would want from him. His wealth can buy him the best therapy on the planet, and he desperately needs it, just as he desperately needs to admit he has a lot of flaws and that he's no role model.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I'm sure Elon does consider himself "beyond human," but that's the opposite of what I would want from him. His wealth can buy him the best therapy on the planet, and he desperately needs it, just as he desperately needs to admit he has a lot of flaws and that he's no role model.
I don't buy into role models. Everyone has their own specific talents and understanding of life. We aren't supposed to "fit a mold".

You can't control other people, but you can do what you think is right, yourself.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts on the topic.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I don't buy into role models. Everyone has their own specific talents and understanding of life. We aren't supposed to "fit a mold".
That's all fine and good, but he still presents himself that way to disillusioned teens and pre-teens. It's pretty obvious to the rest of us that a man over 50 who spends all day Tweeting does not have his shit together.

Zajumino

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LMAO the US is providing almost all the weapons killing Russian invaders in Ukraine right now, and the situation with Taiwan isn't exactly sunshine and roses either. Not to mention both China and Russia are state-capitalist economies. Why do all these half-baked conspiracy theories boil down to "Biden bad?" Rhetorical question, of course.
When it comes to China, I would not be so quick to laugh at conspiracy theories. Although, in this case, I have no idea what he is talking about so I can't really defend him. Also, Musk can't really do anything against China because of Tesla.

It is true, however, that the CCP holds influence over the US government (Janet Yellen lol). The strategy these days seems to be to appease China (to effectively get nothing in return). Given how the CCP does things with regards to small countries and NGOs, I wouldn't be too surprised if there was at least one person who got bribed.

Also, can someone tell me how Biden is involved? I doubt he is even allowed to influence China policy.

Anyways, I am pretty sure Musk is purposely destroying twitter to make the world a better place. A truly selfless individual, he is.

• Haha
Reactions: tabzer

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
It is true, however, that the CCP holds influence over the US government (Janet Yellen lol). The strategy these days seems to be to appease China (to effectively get nothing in return). Given how the CCP does things with regards to small countries and NGOs, I wouldn't be too surprised if there was at least one person who got bribed.
I mean, 90% of non-food items you can buy at Wal-Mart are made in China. It's a mutually-beneficial relationship, but mostly for the capitalist ruling class of the two countries.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Things being made in China being sold on your shelves is not exactly a "benefit" to America. I know you hate capitalism, but please educate yourself on your "enemy", be it China or Capitalism. China has seeped itself into Japanese markets so much, that it is difficult to find something "made in Japan" here. Though Japanese products are generally superior, they are increasingly less accessible. Japanese sentiment in regards to workmanship is becoming increasingly scarce due to the fact that it cannot compete with cheap deceptions that oversaturates the market. I don't know if that's because people want that, or if it is because of trade agreements made from the higher ups. Probably a bit of both.

One thing I will admit about Chinese production, in general, is that its quality is increasing over time. But I believe it is because they experience rejection of their previous attempts. It seems to be that the more you reject China, the better they will become. So why not continue that? Maybe if you reject them enough, they will solve global warming. That'd be unexpected.

Funny that you are shilling for China, as a capitalist even. Couldn't have imagined you'd go so far. How the fuck do you function?

Last edited by tabzer,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Things being made in China being sold on your shelves is not exactly a "benefit" to America.
Finish reading what you're responding to before responding. "It's a mutually-beneficial relationship, but mostly for the capitalist ruling class of the two countries." I didn't say there was any huge benefit to the average American.

Funny that you are shilling for China, as a capitalist even. Couldn't have imagined you'd go so far. How the fuck do you function?
There's nothing in my post that could possibly be interpreted that way. I know I bang this drum a lot, but reading comprehension is important. State-capitalism is even worse than the US' brand of capitalism in some ways, though they both end up consolidating power into the hands of oligarchs eventually.

Reactions: Dark_Ansem

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

This appears to be a move to fortify free-speech on the platform. It's pretty crazy.

I know a lot of people preach that "freedom of speech doesn't protect you from the consequences", but the way that I interpret that is they don't actually value the concept--but that free speech is something only the government should respect.

That's just what I think.

I'll believe it when I see it. It's not exactly common that he follows through on his promises.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol