Emulation vs hardware, talk some about your thoughts.

tempy_thinker.png

Emulation has been a viable thing for playing games for decades now, however in the eyes of some it enjoys a "lesser" status than the custom designed hardware things were originally made for, others still go for the opposite and consider the hardware often the inferior way. In the future this might be unarguably rendered moot by computers having programmable hardware that can quite literally recreate the original or approaches that software emulate from the transistors on up.
There are certainly fairly clear cut cases where emulation accuracy falls short and impacts a game, as well as more esoteric concerns. It should also be noted that transistors might not need to be the only things emulated.
To take it to a slightly different concept though we should first talk about vinyl records, here you would often hear many expounding the virtues of the format with phrases like "it is warmer", "it sounds better" and similar such things. Some of this might have a basis in limitations and mastering, though we spare bringing the loudness wars to our fair site, but in the end if any sample of sound can be described by a series of sine waves and thus are maths which can be modified. If computer games are quite literally a set of fixed computer rules, aka straight up maths...

Alternatively some argue that a kind of irrational nostalgia exists wherein the fiddling with gunk on contacts and scents of 30 year old fire retardant chemicals and plasticisers are necessary. It is an effect previously seen in books when computerised versions of those were on the rise, for those now considering the obvious then we hold no claim to that business idea.

Others take a different tack and argue the prevalence of cheats, filters, savestates, turbo buttons, et al, all perks for many when considering emulation, mean you are not playing the same game as the original people. From a game theory perspective this is quite accurate but one then never stops drawing increasingly unhelpful lines -- did playing with the sound off to prevent frustration in my parents which did not appreciate chip tunes, thus not appreciating the sound design or talespin on the NES at all points, mean I played a different game? Ask a video engineer what NTSC stands for and they may quip "never the same colour", and we have all seen what subtle colour changes can do to a design.
On the other hand what does someone's potential lack of self control have to do with your play?
Similarly if one played a later port, different region version with changes or so forth does that count as having played the game? Do the developers/publishers have some kind of vision or claim that gets perverted? What if you played a game steaming drunk one day?

This is part of a series on GBAtemp where we consider game design, aspects of play and game industry concepts. Previously we discussed a favoured game style that might have become less common in recent times. Earlier editions still saw skills one might have learned or honed because of a game, games on the PS4 and Xbone that will stand the test of time, games that got better after launch, cancelled games and shuttered devs, and story canon in games.
This is somewhat less involved than previous topics, though no less controversial at times.
You are invited to post your thoughts on the matter.

Darksabre72

Blue Falcon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tbh i go both ways with emulation and hardware, but emulation is really helpful to be able to play games that is hard to obtain.

D

Deleted User

Personally I think some N64 games look better in their original resolution and some are just unplayable without the original controller.

I honestly don't care what I play most games on as long as it plays and displays properly

D

Deleted User

Getting retro consoles right is a fucking pain in the ass. RGB mods, upscalers, 60hz mods, region mods and finding the best motherboard revision. While there is a valid argument that emulators don't quite feel the same because you don't actually insert the cartridge or flip a power switch, its just not worth the trouble of everything mentioned in the previous sentence. An emulator and console controller to USB adapter is a very good compromise.

When you're dealing with 3D systems the resolution and framerate boost and high-res textures makes emulators superior to actual hardware. Why do we love Dolphin and CEMU so much?

With as others have mentioned some less popular gaming systems are not very well emulated and their games are best played on actual hardware.

EDIT: Last time I played Zelda: OoT on a real N64 I thought the framerate made it borderline unplayable. As technology has evolved our standards have risen.

Last edited by ,

RyanAnayaMc

The ACE
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It depends. Sometimes, for me, the actual hardware is more convenient (case in point: portable consoles). Generally, if it is more convenient, I'll opt for the actual hardware. If not? Well, I don't mind emulation. For some games, I actually prefer emulation, like with Project M so I can netplay with my friends, use my Wii U Pro controller, and play a Wii game in HD (because honestly Wii emulation is way better than the actual Wii IMO).

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I personally prefer real hardware if that option is possible, but most of the time it's not possible so I settle with emulation. From there I just look for the best method of emulation possible.

HamBone41801

Vipera’s Alt
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I prefer Hardware over emulation, but its not really about performance. I'm just a huge retro-computing geek, so I like having the consoles.

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Emulating sega genesis on the 3ds is weird. It’s all about the controller layout for me. I mean, the 3ds and genesis are nothing alike. The dpad is not in a good spot. The nes is ok on the 3ds. I’ll try to go with actual hardware if I’m able.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Emulation as long as it gets the job done without much lag, graphics glitches, or game breaking bugs. I prefer to play on handhelds for single player games (while I watch TV or listen to YouTube or podcasts) so emulation comes in real handy for most games I want to play — many more when emulators on Switch mature.

Reactions: CallmeBerto

eriol33

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I like emulation better than hardware, however I think sound effects truly affect the nostalgia factor. To this date I am still uncomfortable playing FF taxtics on any emulators because they have been unable to emulate the sound effects of the attacks perfectly.

lincruste

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Fine. I should have kept my bloody mouth shut on the whole thing, would that have been better? Sure getting that vibe from you :( I don't like Higan, I don't like its interface, the way it needs to be configured, and it's why I use Super NT with an SD2SNES. But yeah, I'm bailing out of this discussion, I've dug myself deep enough. :sad:
That's one passive-aggressive way to agree for sure.

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
BAN :gun: emulation - Real hardware all The way!!!

Till i sold all my retro consoles for crazy high prices :rofl2:, after that, unban it again :yay: so i can emulate my old retro games on whatever i have :yaywii::yayu::yayswitch::yaypsp::yayps3::yayone::gba::yay3ds::yaynds::yaysp::switch:

[EDIT]
Just kidding
Real hardware on old tube TV for me, but emulation is also fine for me :)

Last edited by DjoeN,

kapapt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
For me original HW is the way to go, what i do is to look a way to run backups on all the plataforms so i can play whatever i want on the original HW.

invaderyoyo

invader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am fine with emulation as long as the game is close enough to the real deal, I collect the real hardware myself, but I know it isn't going to last forever, that puts emulation as the best alternative for preservation those titles and one of the reasons we should strive for getting it perfect. Plus it has some enhancements like shaders for mimicking the CRT effect in a modern display, save states for those pesky password only games, etc.

That's a major lie, FPGA is the same as software emulator, and it is far from 100% compatible like the Super NT specifically promised. Byuu himself countered the marketing hype over those FGPA consoles. Whoever says FGPA is superior to software emulation is obviously lying/doesn't know what they are talking about.
FPGA is definitely superior at the moment. It's not a lie. It's the same as emulating on a PC, save for two huge advantages. Latency and power.

With emulation it isn't a "0.0001 frame lag". It's very noticeable to anyone that regulary plays on real hardware.

To get accurate emulation on a PC you need a ton of computing power. This means you need an expensive PC. This might not be an issue for some people, but there's still the latency problem.

Anyway, I have a Super NT and a real SNES that I have hooked up to a PVM (a very high-end CRT), and the Super NT just doesn't compare. Even upscaled, old games just don't look their best on modern display.

Of course, if you just want to play the game, emulation is great. However, if you want the best experience you need the real console and a PVM. It really is incredible.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    Also a food allergy study would be a good idea
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    they wouldn't be called french fries at that point
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Probably just meth fries
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    White fries hold up
    +1
    @K3Nv2 sure you can
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    why tf do people hate android users? is it the video quality? just because "AnDrOiD = pOoR" bc they don't cost an arm and a leg like iphones do?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i won't be turned off by an iphone, but don't pick on me for having an android, that's just how this shit should work
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: i won't be turned off by an iphone, but don't pick on me for having an android, that's just how...