Emulator frontend RetroArch has just officially launched on Steam

1024px-Steam_icon_logo.svg_-300x300.png

It's been a long time coming, but popular all-in-one emulator frontend RetroArch has made its debut on Steam. While RetroArch has already been available on PC for years, this brings the program to a new audience of Steam users, which may be of interest to those getting their Steam Deck systems later this year. This version of RetroArch is almost exactly the same as the one available on Libretro's website, with one caveat: it lacks the option to download new cores. Fortunately, there are a handful of cores available as free "DLC", including mGBA, Genesis Plus GX, PCSX ReARMed, and more, with the full list shown below.
  • Mupen64 Plus Next
  • Kronos
  • PCSX ReARMed
  • Stella
  • SameBoy
  • mGBA
  • Mesen
  • Mesen S
  • Genesis Plus GX
  • Final Burn Neo
If you're not satisfied with that, then you'll be able to grab any desired emulator cores from a regular install of RetroArch and manually drag them into the Steam version's folder. As this is a Steam "game", it also officially supports Steam's Remote Play and Cloud Save functions.

:arrow: Source
:arrow: Steam RetroArch Store Page

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Feels sort of surreal that it's on Steam..
Not really if we're being honest, SteamDeck is around the corner and I'm sure devs would rather people just download it from the Steam store for those who don't really have the know how to boot into windows and this way they can brag it's an overlord way of playing SMB3 via portability.

Reactions: Xzi and vaugerbird

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Glad we can still add cores manually for use in remote play.
I really hope we see some classic games get straight up rom drops as DLC or compatible with Retroarch.
Kinda like how DOSbox is used with old DOS games but I wouldn't mind installing Retroarch for it.

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If you're not satisfied with that, then you'll be able to grab any desired emulator cores from a regular install of RetroArch and manually drag them into the Steam version's folder. As this is a Steam "game", it also officially supports Steam's Remote Play and Cloud Save functions.
This is the decisive paragraph here for me and the reason I was really looking forward for the public release.
While it has the benefits of Cloud Save and Remote Play which can be used with non-steam games too but always works a little better with dedicated Steam releases, the only downside is, that a few legal and licencing issues are pretending them from putting all the cores in there which luckily enough can be worked around by manually placing them in the folder.
That's a little step I'll gladly take to have this in Steam since I'm one of those ppl who prefer to have as many things as possible directly in Steam, especially when it comes to the Steam Deck which is my biggest hype train destination currently.
:toot:

STEAM CLOUD SAVE IS BIG. How does it work? Does it upload every game save to steam?
Pretty much, yes. All game saves and save states are saved in their respective folders and they are all effected by Steam Cloud Save so everytime something's happening inside those folders, it will be synced to Steam which is pretty neat.

Reactions: Neo127 and Xzi

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
nice job libretro.

Steam = SteamOS which is a platform... and will solidify even more as a platform with steam deck, and also there's retroarch for windows fyi.

So nothing wrong with the statement per se...

you have a point. i was thinking of steam on windows only. getting old. :(

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
I have snapshot version for a while now. I'm not a huge retroarch user so I did not gave it enough time, but the use I saw there was to upload roms and savegames to the cloud, so I could use those files on any PC I have. I did not managed to make it work.

eriol33

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
this can be a win win solution for publishers and customers actually, imagine if they integrate old games as ROM+retroarch emulator. no more need to tune settings individually and everyone can play old games legally. Except nintendo I guess.

ganons

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't really see the point if you already have it on Windows but that's still cool

As elan said below, seems convenient for playing on different devices.

Pretty much, yes. All game saves and save states are saved in their respective folders and they are all effected by Steam Cloud Save so everytime something's happening inside those folders, it will be synced to Steam which is pretty neat.

Reactions: LightBeam

AbT19

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not really if we're being honest, SteamDeck is around the corner and I'm sure devs would rather people just download it from the Steam store for those who don't really have the know how to boot into windows and this way they can brag it's an overlord way of playing SMB3 via portability.

Isn't that asking for problems? Particularly that we don't know how Proton will work with RetroArch and its accompanying cores (assuming that the average gamer on Deck is using SteamOS 3.0).

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Isn't that asking for problems? Particularly that we don't know how Proton will work with RetroArch and its accompanying cores (assuming that the average gamer on Deck is using SteamOS 3.0).
Should be fine if their is a problem the devs will look into it people are freaking about the entire Proton thing too much I highly doubt Steam wants to see this product fail because you can't run smb3.

mive

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

you dont need anything proton related, as native linux binaries exist (mac probably too, but not sure about that)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Slower speeds for gen4
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hp24nDVKvY