Homebrew Question emulator ps1\ps2\ps3 is possible on switch?

nmkd

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Don't make assumptions about the PS2. It could work (at least with some games, if not all with the correct optimization) at full speed.

Getting REEEEEAAAL tired of these clueless people making assumptions, spreading BS around the forums.

For real, guys. STOP.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You're really not understanding how things work... You can't compare the Win to the Switch in this respect, mate. You're like those people who are like, "3DS is as strong as gamecube right? Because look how they both look. Graph1cczzz!"

Not really. Super tired right now, but that's blatant bullshit. Anyone with ANY understanding of this stuff would know that. You just tossed your credibility FARRRR out the window.

I know what I'm talking about.

I know the Win is x86 and Switch is ARM, but that just makes things worse for Switch.

Raw performance is around the same, and the architectures are different but the same age.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ILY

You're right on the PS1 and PS2, but the rest is pure BS that you're pulling out of your ass. There's no way in hell that the N64 will run on the 3DS. Maybe horribly, terribly optimized, terrible framerate, etc. It can hardly handle SNES games at their full potential, without frame dropping lol. FUCK no, dude. Are YOU high?! And PS3 is NOT MORE POWERFUL THAN THE SWITCH.

Bruh. Stop. Don't comment on somehting you don't know anything about.

Still not true. I hate when people say this. It's a blatant lie.
well its not far off.

PS3 CPU @3.2 GHz w/ 6 SPEs single process max 230.4 GFLOPS
SWITCH CPU 4x core max 2GHz
PS3 GPU 1.3 GHz
SWITCH GPU 1GHz

So the Switch/PS3 are pretty close when you look at the hardware...... specs that Nintendo again deliberately kept hush hush, just like they did the WII U, to try keep it hidden so people dont know its just a last gen revamp....... again.

A Plus Ric

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CAN you back that up? I'm just curious not trying to sound like a dick just interested that's all
The Switch is 3 to 4 times more powerful than the PS3 and 360 (GPU throughput) and has 8 times the memory.

GFLOPS

PS3: 192 GFLOPS

Xbox 360: 240 GFLOPS

Switch (Docked): 393 (FP32) 668-750 GFLOPS (double rate FP16)

RAM

PS3: 256MB XDRAM, 256MB GDDR3

360: 512MB GDDR3 (+10MB eDRAM)

Switch: 4GB LPDDR4

From a gamespot forum post.

nmkd

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The Switch is 3 to 4 times more powerful than the PS3 and 360 (GPU throughput) and has 8 times the memory.

GFLOPS

PS3: 192 GFLOPS

Xbox 360: 240 GFLOPS

Switch (Docked): 393 (FP32) 668-750 GFLOPS (double rate FP16)

RAM

PS3: 256MB XDRAM, 256MB GDDR3

360: 512MB GDDR3 (+10MB eDRAM)

Switch: 4GB LPDDR4

From a gamespot forum post.

Too bad fp16 GFLOPS are mostly useless.

Always comapre fp32.

Also, Switch needs to push 1080p in docked mode, so you need to compare handheld (since it's 720p like PS3/X360), and then it's weaker in raw FLOPS.

Reactions: DrkBeam

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't make assumptions about the PS2. It could work (at least with some games, if not all with the correct optimization) at full speed.

Getting REEEEEAAAL tired of these clueless people making assumptions, spreading BS around the forums.

maybe you need to do some research into emulation pal, if the swithc was to get emulators, theyre likely pc ports..... which if you take my PC with its far superior hardware to even PS4/XBX1...... erm yes this still struggles to emulate PS2 games, tho it has good compatibility but to sit and think the Switch with its inferior hardware is going to do anything close to that of a power PC is laughable.

As stated, if Switch had a PS2 emulator, tho it would run, it will not have as high compatibility due to hardware restrictions.

i think you come across as a deluded fan that thinks the switch is some sort of powerful console...... when this console has to limit its own games in order to run smoothly, tell me how or what gives you the impression this same hardware is going to be able to process emulators at a speed that makes it playable?

i think if you were to even look at other devices that have better hardware or similar hardware that has issues emulating, please tell me how you expect inferior hardware to do better?

BlackWizzard17

Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
maybe you need to do some research into emulation pal, if the swithc was to get emulators, theyre likely pc ports..... which if you take my PC with its far superior hardware to even PS4/XBX1...... erm yes this still struggles to emulate PS2 games, tho it has good compatibility
It's defenitly not that your pc struggles, it's just the only ps2 emulator we have for pc is terrible at optimization for games. I can run every game 1080p but at the price of constantly switching settings or tweaking things and will never get %100 compatability is due to the fact that for accuracy it's shitty programming. The switch could run ps2 games pretty decent because its hardware is pretty good for some games but only if it had an emulator built from scratch or if someone ported the pc version but with incredible programming. CPU is probably it's main limiting factor though.

Last edited by BlackWizzard17,
Reactions: Thirty3Three

BlackWizzard17

Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i want OW on the switch no joke :C
That would be the worst platform to play on. Even if the shooter was a solid 30 or even 60fps the portability feature is limited to an area with good Wi-Fi. I doubt people are going to want to burn out their mobile hotspot and it's too much for work arounds.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol. Seriously. Stop talking so condescendingly when you clearly don't know what you're talking about. I'm talking condescendingly because I know what I'm talking about. I'm so frustrated with idiots spreading misinformation or assumption as FACT. You're not helping by doing that. You're just continuing the spread of lies and miscommunication.

If you don't know this shit, don't comment. Or if you must comment, use the words, I think, beforehand.

SO LETS ALL TAKE A SECOND AND THINK, "DO I KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT?"

IF YES, (MOST OF YOU DO NOT, FROM WHAT I'M READING IN THIS THREAD... ) CONTINUE

IF NOT, STOP SPREADING ASSUMPTION OR LIES AS FACT.

ok well lets take this person as someone claiming to know what he is talking about and everyone else are idots.

FACT HERE IS

the switch will be able to emulate PS2 if its possible to port existing emulators.

FACT IS

it will not be capable of running games at said speeds that PCs are able to.

FACT IS

PCs require a lot of resources to improve emulation speeds, but even high end systems still can not emulate some games.

so please FOR SOMEONE WHO KNOWS WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT, provide these FACTS that you seem to have to claim the SWITCH will be able to emulate PS2 games at the same rate of a HIGH END PC.

As i CLEARLY STATED, it could be possible to EMULATE, but it would have a issues.

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok well lets take this person as someone claiming to know what he is talking about and everyone else are idots.

FACT HERE IS

the switch will be able to emulate PS2 if its possible to port existing emulators.

NOT A FACT. Stop assuming. this is waht I'm talking about. Not "only" if you port existing emulators.

FACT IS

it will not be capable of running games at said speeds that PCs are able to.

YOU DONT KNOW THIS. ps2 isn't very powerful at all.

FACT IS

PCs require a lot of resources to improve emulation speeds, but even high end systems still can not emulate some games.

so please FOR SOMEONE WHO KNOWS WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT, provide these FACTS that you seem to have to claim the SWITCH will be able to emulate PS2 games at the same rate of a HIGH END PC.

What games? That's an optimization issue. My low end laptop from like 2011 could run any (or at least almost any) PS2 game at full speed, even though it was a crap 800 dollar laptop
As i CLEARLY STATED, it could be possible to EMULATE, but it would have a issues.

You're just proving that you have absolutely NO idea what you're talking about, kiddo.

Reactions: nmkd

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol, and you claim to know something about emulators?

Surely DraStic is based on a PC version lol
OHHH what stated off as an emulator to run on Linux handheld Open Pandora which later then PORTED over to ANDROID.

Maybe so maybe not a PC port, but is a PORT off another platform, but majority of console emulators are PORT off major EMULATORS that are found on PC.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh god you're clueless. I can't even... this is laughable. I'd suggest you stop talking... you're just making yourself look like a moron.

Aaaaaaaand now I'm outsie.
you still have yet to back up your so called claims of knowing what your talking about when we all know as a fact that even high end pcs have issues emulating ps2 games.

it has nothing to do with the hardware of the ps2, your likely logic is because the ps2 has inferior hardware to the switch then this means the switch will easily emulate.

which it wont, i do not understand someone who claims to be educated in emulators who can even argue this.

my statement is correct, if someone was to port a ps2 emulator over, it will run, but it will not be capable of running games without issues.

because this issue is still a known fact even on high end pc's

you can not even argue this and claim it wont be the same problem one the switch.

end of.

the fact that you keep insisting this to be wrong is proving how little you actually know, or is it you want to believe the switch is some sort of super machine?

... I know I'm outsie... but dude... he clearly stated... as a fact... LOL.
that emulator as such was not a PC emulator, but i never claimed it was, or did i say only PC emulators get ported over.

if you care to look at emulators that do get ports, majority are emulators ported off the PC version, take:
NES, SNES, MS, MD, GB, GBA, GBC, DS, N64, CUBE, PS1, PS2, PSP the list goes on.

I never said anything about Linux or other OS's to claim these dont also get ported, but this beloved emulator that was just mentioned is pointing out my arguement, that its PORTED to, from another OS.

Even RetroArch is a combination using Multiple Emulators but into one program, all the emulator cores are based on ports of other emulators.

Consoles when they get emulators are no different, theyre ports of existing emulators and again if said emulator has issues on lets say, PC, then the same issues will be present on if (ported to) the switch, but is also known console ports of said emulators tend to have other issues.

But to think that the switch will get a PS2 emulator and play majority of its games at a full playable speed is laughable..... when the switch has to dumb its own games down in order to perform at a smooth playable rate.

i never said the switch wont be able to emulate, i said if ported it could but dont expect anything like the actual console would play.

nmkd

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
you still have yet to back up your so called claims of knowing what your talking about when we all know as a fact that even high end pcs have issues emulating ps2 games.

it has nothing to do with the hardware of the ps2, your likely logic is because the ps2 has inferior hardware to the switch then this means the switch will easily emulate.

which it wont, i do not understand someone who claims to be educated in emulators who can even argue this.

my statement is correct, if someone was to port a ps2 emulator over, it will run, but it will not be capable of running games without issues.

because this issue is still a known fact even on high end pc's

you can not even argue this and claim it wont be the same problem one the switch.

end of.

the fact that you keep insisting this to be wrong is proving how little you actually know, or is it you want to believe the switch is some sort of super machine?

that emulator as such was not a PC emulator, but i never claimed it was, or did i say only PC emulators get ported over.

if you care to look at emulators that do get ports, majority are emulators ported off the PC version, take:
NES, SNES, MS, MD, GB, GBA, GBC, DS, N64, CUBE, PS1, PS2, PSP the list goes on.

I never said anything about Linux or other OS's to claim these dont also get ported, but this beloved emulator that was just mentioned is pointing out my arguement, that its PORTED to, from another OS.

Even RetroArch is a combination using Multiple Emulators but into one program, all the emulator cores are based on ports of other emulators.

Consoles when they get emulators are no different, theyre ports of existing emulators and again if said emulator has issues on lets say, PC, then the same issues will be present on if (ported to) the switch, but is also known console ports of said emulators tend to have other issues.

But to think that the switch will get a PS2 emulator and play majority of its games at a full playable speed is laughable..... when the switch has to dumb its own games down in order to perform at a smooth playable rate.

i never said the switch wont be able to emulate, i said if ported it could but dont expect anything like the actual console would play.
Where did Daedalus64 get ported from?
Or CTRX?
Or CTR64?

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was implying that they were not ported from anywhere.
so you want to go off to another direction to do what?

no gain at all, i never said ALL emulators are ported off the PC did i.

i simply said if the SWITCH was to get a PS2 EMU due to the work involved and how many years its taken the PS2 EMU scene to get where it is now, and like most other EMUs tend to be ports.

so pointing a emu here or there that isnt ported off a PC, or from another device is pointless.

just amuses me how this n00b seems to claim everyone else knows nothing and he knows everything, when they point out a simple FACT from knowing about emultion, that it will be possible but nothing to brag about.

i think switchtard syndrom is kicking in, his fanboyness for the console kicks in, thinks people are being negative towards the crap console and jumps to defend, yet provides 0 FACTS to backup up his claims.

where we just sit here with FACTS by pointing out the current status of PS2 emulation already on devices.

Nuff Said!

Last edited by ,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: j