• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

England's BBC launches "BBC Verify" to stop "misinformation"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm not going to pretend that the BBC is the most trustworthy source of news on the planet, or even that they deserve to be, but their factual accuracy is still leagues higher than any right-wing "news" source you can name. And therein lies the problem: can real news survive when so many people just want their own opinions regurgitated back to them instead? Bad enough that people already expect instant gratification when real journalism takes weeks, months, or even years. When enough people start instinctively reacting negatively to being presented with facts, that's the straw that breaks the camel's back. Idiocracy here we come.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Garbage that somehow still has the nerve to call itself "news," yes. What else am I meant to compare it to, graphic novels?
If you compare an apple to an orange, it doesn't make the apple "news".

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
If you compare an apple to an orange, it doesn't make the apple "news".
If you're aware of other news sources rated better on factual accuracy over time by outside organizations, great. So am I. The point remains that, given the sheer volume of how many boomer-tier sources are on the web now, BBC objectively doesn't even rank in the bottom half. Nobody asked for your feelings and biases on that.

Reactions: pustal

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
If you're aware of other news sources rated better on factual accuracy over time by outside organizations, great. So am I. The point remains that, given the sheer volume of how many boomer-tier sources are on the web now, BBC objectively doesn't even rank in the bottom half. Nobody asked for your feelings and biases on that.

Touch grass. Listening to BBC doesn't make you informed. It makes you a customer.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Listening to BBC doesn't make you informed. It makes you a customer.
I read articles with various adblockers/paywall removers and I've never given BBC a dime. If you actually want to improve the average quality of journalism by getting rid of outlets, we should probably start with podcasts that exclusively advertise crypto scams and penis enhancement pills, and then we can eventually work our way up to BBC.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I read articles with various adblockers/paywall removers and I've never given BBC a dime. If you actually want to improve the average quality of journalism by getting rid of outlets, we should probably start with podcasts that exclusively advertise crypto scams and penis enhancement pills, and then we can eventually work our way up to BBC.

It's ignorant to assume that your willingness to visit and promote the BBC doesn't financially benefit them. Also, improving the "average quality of journalism" isn't meaningful. Basically, you want to keep your shit and get rid of other shit, so your shit only looks better because it has less to be compared to.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
It's ignorant to assume that your willingness to visit and promote the BBC doesn't financially benefit them.
They're certainly welcome to those tenths of a cent, not gonna keep me up at night.

Also, improving the "average quality of journalism" isn't meaningful. Basically, you want to keep your shit and get rid of other shit, so your shit only looks better because it has less to be compared to.
Logically, if I wanted to make BBC look better by comparison, I'd be in favor of adding more shit outlets rather than subtracting them.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Logically, if I wanted to make BBC look better by comparison, I'd be in favor of adding more shit outlets rather than subtracting them.

Your previous interest was in the "average quality of journalism" and my comment was about them looking better by not having a comparison. Wtf is wrong with you?

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Your previous interest was in the "average quality of journalism" and my comment was about them looking better by not having a comparison. Wtf is wrong with you?
Jesus kid, think about it for a second: if we take away all the shitty rags BBC compares favorably against, the only outlets left to compare it to would be superior, and so it would compare poorly against those. Sometimes I legit wonder if you're missing half a brain.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Jesus kid, think about it for a second: if we take away all the shitty rags BBC compares favorably against, the only outlets left to compare it to would be superior, and so it would compare poorly against those. Sometimes I legit wonder if you're missing half a brain.
Why do you think I was talking about that?

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
"BBC Verify", Hmmm this is just like them asking you to trust a peodophile to look after your children.

Hang on a minute - the BBC already had a bunch of peodo's working there (Jimmy Savile and his gang) and covered it up. BBC HQ still has a statue of a small boy above its front door which was created by a peodo!

BBC is a left wing biased news organisation and was definately a covid vaccine disinformation bureau that regularly withheld news from sceptical scientists and those with concerns about side effects - they still don't report on those that suffered vaccine injuries. They were anti Donald Trump and anti Brexit and are always trying to bring down anyone they dislike or has a different political view from them.

Can you trust the BBC to give you unbiased facts? Hmmm - probably just about the same as you could trust Garry Glitter to run a youth hostel without trying to fiddle with the children.

Last edited by mrdude,
Reactions: Marc_LFD

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"BBC Verify", Hmmm this is just like then asking you to trust a peodophile to look after your children.

Hang on a minute - the BBC already had a bunch of peodo's working there (Jimmy Savile and his gang) and covered it up. BBC HQ still has a statue of a small boy above its front door which was created by a peodo!

BBC is a left wing biased news organisation and was definately a covid vaccine disinformation bureau that regulatry withheld news from sceptical scientists and those with concerns about side effects - they still don't report on those that suffered vaccine injuries. They were anti Donald Trump and Brexit and always trying to bring down anyone they disliked or had a different political view from them.

Can you trust the BBC - NO YOU CAN'T!
There's so much wrong with BBC you could pile up evidence and it still wouldn't matter because the government would probably support them, making it all effectively pointless and irrelevant. Heck, just look at the police defending the "Just Stop Oil" unemployed losers.

Savile was a piece of shit and I read that his headstone was removed so people can't do justice (he got away with it while enjoying life).

The council doesn't want to dig him up? I'm sure there's plenty of people who wouldn't mind doing it for free and then burn the remains of this sick bastard who violated children and women.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I'm not going to pretend that the BBC is the most trustworthy source of news on the planet, or even that they deserve to be, but their factual accuracy is still leagues higher than any right-wing "news" source you can name.
From what I gather, BBC is pretty good at ignoring news and twisting events that don't align with tory rhetoric. The main difference is that they're not completely detached from reality. You won't catch them on soundbites that 's the equivalent of denying gravity.
And therein lies the problem: can real news survive when so many people just want their own opinions regurgitated back to them instead? Bad enough that people already expect instant gratification when real journalism takes weeks, months, or even years. When enough people start instinctively reacting negatively to being presented with facts, that's the straw that breaks the camel's back. Idiocracy here we come.
True. But I seriously doubt they'll certify channels like TL;DR news, a different bias or Robespierre (okay... Tl;dr i could see happening).
Post automatically merged:

I'm going to rationalize the existence of BBC by pointing out that garbage exists.
... You're arguing the BBC is created as a byproduct of media consumption? :unsure:

Reactions: Xzi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: don't mind the JPEG artifacts, stylistic choice