Hacking EZ Flash IV 2.0 Kernel Release - No more patching

Yepi69

Jill-sandwiched
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Does this fix the bug that you can't use MiniSD cards under 2GB?
Pretty sure the last update had this, I have a 2GB MiniSD and I couldn't use the previous update due to the MiniSDHC compatibility.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My EZ4 is still on 1.77, but in trying to use the newest ezfla_up, I just get a solid black screen. No progress bar or even prompt saying it's flashing like the prior ones do. Do i need to go to 1.78 first?

dragonblood9999

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
cant update mine. i put the update file on my micro sd and hold R on boot but i just get a black screen..

Edit: You need to use a micro sd not a micro sdhc card. so in my case i used a 2gb sandisk microsd in a mini sd card adapter and it updated it right away

Last edited by dragonblood9999,
Reactions: Zidapi

Riptide

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cant update mine. i put the update file on my micro sd and hold R on boot but i just get a black screen..

Edit: You need to use a micro sd not a micro sdhc card. so in my case i used a 2gb sandisk microsd in a mini sd card adapter and it updated it right away
Thanks for figuring it out. What a strange thing to not test for. Any chance that will start getting fixed soon?

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I think this built in update patcher only patches games that are not already patched. Not everytime you select the game to play. At least from what I can see because my THPS2 rom was already prepatched with Lunar IPS and the save didn't end up corrupted (after I booted the game up) like it would if I patched it through EZ Client software.

The patching routine only patches games that need patching, however the EZFlash needs to run prepatched games through the patching routine as well to figure out if it needs patching or not. This results in patched and prepatched games both having the longer loading times.

Not a big deal for me since I can just drag n drop my roms now and not worry about is my rom patched or not. I am really lazy for that. Btw. my 64Mbit rom (THPS2 again) took 51 seconds to load. It may be less because it was patched already, is it? The only real thing i'm not liking as I've said is that there is no soft reset patch. That could make me roll back to 1.78 more than loading time issues. :/ It's not healthy for GBA to turn on/off that many times if you're playing a lot. :(

Patched/unpatched roms don't affect the loading times, at least not significantly (There will probably always be 1-2 seconds "fluctuation in practice). What will, though, is the filesize. AFAIK the ez4client software not only patches the ROMs, but it also trims them, i.e. it cuts off excessive padding at the end of the ROM. If the flashcart has to load less data it's going to be slightly faster as well. I presume that's where your 51 seconds results from.
The autopatching routine is something really useful for new users and by all means welcome. Old hands like me - who have the entire GBA collection already pre-patched on an SD - will only have disadvantages (slower loading) from this release, though. For the soft reset patching you could try to manually apply the soft reset patch. But if you're patching anyway, you could also just permanentally patch the savetype as well and keep the faster loading times :)

Does this fix the bug that you can't use MiniSD cards under 2GB?
Pretty sure the last update had this, I have a 2GB MiniSD and I couldn't use the previous update due to the MiniSDHC compatibility.

Most likely compatibility hasn't been changed. If it didn't work on 1.75/1.76/1.77/1.78 it wont work on 2.00 - The only time compatibility has been affected (in particular with non-SDHC cards) was when SDHC compatibility has been introduced with 1.75.

OK,the loading speed will be improved, at the second launch moment.

I can not confirm this. Loading times did not improve at a second boot or even multiple boots. The EZFlash IV will always run the game through the entire patching routine to see if the game needs patching. It does not seem to store any patching results.

Thanks for figuring it out. What a strange thing to not test for. Any chance that will start getting fixed soon?

It does not seem to be an issue with all SDHC cards, my 16Gb SDHC Card works fine with all updates. It seems as if specific cards are not compatible, I haven't been able to find any SDHC in my collection that *wouldn't* work.

Reactions: CaptainSodaPop

Bart Lemming

Gēmu Bōi mikuro
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Perhaps it would've been a bit smarter to update the PC-side EZ Flash software... Making that more stable and adding functionality seems like a good idea to me.

Dropping a bunch of ROMs into a folder and being able to right-click on it choose a context menu option to patch all ROMs seems like a no-brainer these days. It would certainly be slicker than having to wait nearly 2 minutes to load a game... that takes me back to the C64 and Speccy days!

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Haven't actually considered the Everdrive yet, because it is so expensive.. yes, the built-in clock is a big pre, but I don't think the Everdrive has the gyroscopic hardware for Wario Ware: Twisted (arguably one of the best GBA games), Yoshi's Universal Gravitation, Kirby Tilt n Tumble; nor photometric hardware for the Boktai games.
as far as i know no cart has the gyro sensors..
everdrive also doesn't have it
same as the solar sensor for boktai games

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Perhaps it would've been a bit smarter to update the PC-side EZ Flash software... Making that more stable and adding functionality seems like a good idea to me.

Dropping a bunch of ROMs into a folder and being able to right-click on it choose a context menu option to patch all ROMs seems like a no-brainer these days. It would certainly be slicker than having to wait nearly 2 minutes to load a game... that takes me back to the C64 and Speccy days!
People moan like crazy if you add context menu stuff. The was a batch patching option in EZ4client (where you select a rom you just select many), though some told me it was removed from later versions. Beyond that while I don't mind patching on the PC it seems lots of people really really wanted cart side.

OK,the loading speed will be improved, at the second launch moment.

some one can give me an anti-piracy game list? with release number. I'd lost lots of stuffs in the past of time.

more functions will come back again.
I don't know what release numbers you are using as they are not all the same. Especially not the old cngba list if that was what you were using.
As others mentioned I have a little list of games that cause trouble for the EZ4 and how to fix them
http://gbatemp.net/threads/buying-a-gba-flash-cart-in-2013.341203/page-18#post-4756995

Apparently I missed top gun combat zones (about 1900 in most lists) from that list but there is a fix http://www.advanscene.com/html/Releases/dbreleases.php?id=1906
Realistically there is that game, a couple of dragon ball Z games http://gbatemp.net/threads/log1-2-3-ez-flash-iv.348556/#post-4655532 and the classic nes/famicom mini stuff if you want to do those for people. Personally I prefer HVCA and pocketnes to run NES games on my GBA but some like the classic nes releases for some reason.
If you want to add a patch for the real time clock of pokemon emerald, ruby and sapphire that would be nice and probably save you some hassle. I am sure you are the last people I need to tell about people wanting pokemon fixes though.
The other games that cause people trouble I don't know if you want to force a patch for -- lots of people liked to customise the boktai/solar boy django games as far as the fixes for the solar sensor. Fixes for yoshi tilt and tumble, warioware twisted and koro koro puzzle might be more appreciated but some still use custom.
Whether you want to do plaston gate and legendz fixes (they had a little dongle thing like spyro skylanders) I do not know.

If you are planning to add the patch saving for second launch in a later kernel can I ask you don't add it to the end of the save. It makes things tricky for some emulators and other flash carts. Maybe use a database on the SD card or something.

If you want to do something really cool then being able to apply IPS patches would be really good (something as basic as if there is an ips patch the same name as the ROM in the directory would do). The basic format is simple enough that it should be possible in hardware and it is what most hackers and translators use for the GBA. It would also allow people to apply their own fixes if they want. If you are doing something similar to how you did your DS fixes for the EZ5 then it should not be too hard to add IPS support as it is all simple offset and payload patching.

If you are not windirt then can you say hi to him if he is still with the EZTeam. I might try my old tencent account to see if it still works and get on the group there if you want.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What limit do you refer to?
The 8:3 stuff was mainly only the Super Mario games and the first few kernels back when it was released in 2006 or whatever.
The only other other limits I faced were something like 50 characters and that really only bothered the 3 in 1 games with the individual games being long named things.

pelago

Trophies
XP
Country
I can not confirm this. Loading times did not improve at a second boot or even multiple boots. The EZFlash IV will always run the game through the entire patching routine to see if the game needs patching. It does not seem to store any patching results.
I think he's saying they'll work on this for a future kernel release.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://m.imdb.com/title/tt28087226/ lmao