Hacking EZ-Flash Reform Fix for high insertion force

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So, a few days ago I received my EZ-Flash Reform and it's working fine. However, when I first inserted it into my GBA i was worried about the ammount of force I had to put in to get it inserted.
The same happened with the DS-Lite shell that it came with. The card also felt as if it was catching up somewhere in the GBA when I pulled it out.

So I took a closer look at the card and to me it seems as if the angle the PCB is placed in the case is simply too high which causes this issue. Inside the cases "front" side you'll see this little standoff.
IMG_20180219_180358.jpg
As you can see it consists of two "levels" of thickness with the smaller diameter fitting through the hole on the EZ-Flash Reform PCB. I decided to take a cutter knife to cut down the part with the wider diameter, where the PCB rests on.
IMG_20180219_180339.jpg
By reducing this height about half a milimeter (1/280th of a banana) I got a considerably better result when inserting or removing the cartrdige from a GBA or a DS-Lite. So if you suffer from the same issue, you might want to try this fix as well. It's too bad that the EZ-Flash Team was not able to create a shell that fits properly, but we are not helpless little children, are we?

Note that you still should remove the card carefully, particulalry on a GBA it feels to me that the cutout for the micro SD can get caught up on the triangular "cartridge rails" inside the GBA slot.

Your mileage may vary.

before after.png

Last edited by Localhorst86,

Localhorst86

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I did this:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/easy-flash-iv-reform-re-shell.495827

I did it quickly and with inappropriate tools!! It does the job perfectly and looks like a real cartridge when inserted.

Yes, I have seen this - I just didn't like to do this for various reasons:

a) I do not have a spare, crap game that people won't miss. I only gots the quality shit! :D
b) I didn't like the unclean look, particular the chips being exposed to touches on the back.

but as the internet says: "If it looks stupid, but works, it ain't stupid" :)
Yours probably is even better in terms of fit, I would guess.

btw, how do you keep the PCB from sliding "up" into the cartridge?

Last edited by Localhorst86,

Bazahazano

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, I have seen this - I just didn't like to do this for various reasons:

a) I do not have a spare, crap game that people won't miss. I only gots the quality shit! :D
b) I didn't like the unclean look, particular the chips being exposed to touches on the back.

but as the internet says: "If it looks stupid, but works, it ain't stupid" :)
Yours probably is even better in terms of fit, I would guess.

btw, how do you keep the PCB from sliding "up" into the cartridge?

I don't like the unclean look either! It is very much a bodge job I only used a pair of wire cutters. :) :grog:

I just did it quick see if it could fit. It does the job perfectly well enough and the fit is like a regular cartridge so I can't be bothered to try and do it properly. (lazy:lol:)

The Pcb just sits wedged in. I have taken a few more pics so you can see.

IMG_20180223_235912.jpg IMG_20180223_235733.jpg IMG_20180223_235626.jpg

A thin sheet of plastic could be put over the exposed chips. If somebody used the correct tools they will be able to achieve a lot better look.

Last edited by Bazahazano,

Meeg85

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, a few days ago I received my EZ-Flash Reform and it's working fine. However, when I first inserted it into my GBA i was worried about the ammount of force I had to put in to get it inserted.
The same happened with the DS-Lite shell that it came with. The card also felt as if it was catching up somewhere in the GBA when I pulled it out.

So I took a closer look at the card and to me it seems as if the angle the PCB is placed in the case is simply too high which causes this issue. Inside the cases "front" side you'll see this little standoff.
View attachment 114818
As you can see it consists of two "levels" of thickness with the smaller diameter fitting through the hole on the EZ-Flash Reform PCB. I decided to take a cutter knife to cut down the part with the wider diameter, where the PCB rests at.
View attachment 114817
By reducing this height about half a milimeter (1/280th of a banana) I got a considerably better result when inserting or removing the cartrdige from a GBA or a DS-Lite. So if you suffer from the same issue, you might want to try this fix as well. It's too bad that the EZ-Flash Team was not able to create a shell that fits properly, but we are not helpless little children, are we?

Note that you still should remove the card carefully, particulalry on a GBA it feels to me that the cutout for the micro SD can get caught up on the triangular "cartridge rails" inside the GBA slot.

Your mileage may vary.
Do u think this mod might help the Reform fit into an SP? the squeeze is tight and it gets caught on the jagged edges of the cartridge slot.

Localhorst86

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Do u think this mod might help the Reform fit into an SP? the squeeze is tight and it gets caught on the jagged edges of the cartridge slot.
that's the purpose of this mod. The high insertion (and consequently removing) force seems to come from the PBC being angled to steep in the cartridge shell. By removing some of the plastic on the standoff we can get the PCB to sit inside the shell at a shallower angle, thus reducing the force that is needed to insert or remove the cartridge. This allows us to also more carefully remove the cartridge from the slot, trying not to get the SD cutout to be caught on the triangular "rails" inside the slot.

Meeg85

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that's the purpose of this mod. The high insertion (and consequently removing) force seems to come from the PBC being angled to steep in the cartridge shell. By removing some of the plastic on the standoff we can get the PCB to sit inside the shell at a shallower angle, thus reducing the force that is needed to insert or remove the cartridge. This allows us to also more carefully remove the cartridge from the slot, trying not to get the SD cutout to be caught on the triangular "rails" inside the slot.
So essentially this decreases with "thickness" of the cartridge making it easier to pull out and insert?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn that's cheap.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Slower speeds for gen4
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then...