OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States

Facebook had a security issue recently, and it looks like they've started sending out e-mails to users who they think have been affected. One such e-mail is above (click for the full size), but what's most worrying is not that friends can see your e-mail or number, it's that there's reports of users finding e-mail addresses and numbers associated with their Facebook account that they never added, and this info has been displayed as well.
Another tipster told TechCrunch she had one email address compromised but noted she cannot figure out how the email was even obtained by Facebook as it appears to be for a former work place, is no longer valid and was never directly associated by her with her account — suggesting Facebook is automatically harvesting contact data from other Facebook users and associating it with other accounts.

Source

Fear Zoa

Still Alive
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's just goddamn great. It was stupid of everyone to assume social media isn't just a big data mining operation.

Its seems every day I find another reason to quit using social media, maybe one of these days I'll take the plunge. If only it wasn't so damn convenient, that and most people cant be arsed if it isn't Facebook related which is really the real problem. Facebook is so popular it's hard to communicate without it and many less educated people use it exclusively despite all the glaringly obvious problems.

Its just a generally shitty situation stemmed from the service taking off in the first place.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm just glad I use fake personal information. Phone number? Fake. Address? Fake. Like they're ever going to find out it's false info anyway. As for those gathering personal information, they can screw off for all I care. I refuse to give up my account because there are friends who wouldn't be able to communicate to me otherwise from different countries.

D

Deleted-236924

Doesn't sound like something that would make me stop using Facebook, tbh.

AbyssalMonkey

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
So how much you want to bet the NSA is behind this as well?

To be honest, this kind of crap is the primary reason I don't do social networking in the first place. Nothing on the internet is secure, that's just the way the internet works. Unless you personally encrypt then upload it, it doesn't matter, there will always be a master key to decrypt that information, and even then, encryptions are only good up until a certain point.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Facebook is the dumbest thing I've ever seen. I will never be a part of it. Twitter and Google plus are the only "social" media outlets I'll use however it's mainly to see funny/interesting stuff from others not to post my stupid life on there no one wants to know that trash and I don't want to share. There should be a grumpy cat meme below :)

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Didn't you know?, Linkedin, facebook, microsoft and most ISPs are all apart of prism.

Basically the US government has been taken over by the CIA and they are expanding to other countries by way of the internet. - semi-sarcasm

and fyi it has become 100% legal for local police departments to use any form of video and pictures with facial recognition to track people w/o a warrant or just cause. This isn't paranoid statement of any kind. It is the result of the last US school shooting, it was the finale straw to make this happen. And frankly I can't blame law markers for this decision. Doesn't mean it won't go w/o being abused from time to time.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Didn't you know?, Linkedin, facebook, microsoft and most ISPs are all apart of prism.

Basically the US government has been taken over by the CIA and they are expanding to other countries by way of the internet. - semi-sarcasm

and fyi it has become 100% legal for local police departments to use any form of video and pictures with facial recognition to track people w/o a warrant or just cause. This isn't paranoid statement of any kind. It is the result of the last US school shooting, it was the finale straw to make this happen. And frankly I can't blame law markers for this decision. Don't mean it won't be abused eventually.

So what would stop me from subtly telling those spying to sod off and die? It's freedom of speech, is it not? Just because someone can do something doesn't mean they should. Legal =/= moral. They're just being scumbags is all. We can trust the government, right? Right?? They'd never use something against us.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't do something they say is illegal and you'll be fine. Speed cameras been legal to fine drivers for speeding more than a decade now. I expect other illegal activities to start having fines and chargers based purely on a person getting caught on film to be 100% legal within the next 5 years.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Don't do something they say is illegal and you'll be fine.

Easier said than done -- laws vary wildly between jurisdiction, laws can carry over from other places, laws can be made that are illegal/against law making standards, laws can be interpreted and it goes on.
Not strictly related but worth a watch as it covers such things briefly

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Easier said than done -- laws vary wildly between jurisdiction, laws can carry over from other places, laws can be made that are illegal/against law making standards, laws can be interpreted and it goes on.
Not strictly related but worth a watch as it covers such things briefly

That video as honest as it was....its a bit depressing

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: ... that's rough buddy