• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

[fake] House Republicans vote yes on religion bill

Should Religion be taught in public schools?

• No way!

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Yes way!

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
It's not the OP's job to do your homework. You have Google. Find shit yourself. :toot:

Clare Foran has either deleted all history of the article or had never written it. Claiming that she has written something she has not is an act of libel.

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While Conservatives are complaining about "Critical Race Theory", this bill is being passed under our noses. This is absurd, and an affront to our alleged "democracy".

I completely missed this while reading through your post the first time, apologies! CRT is a super hot topic amongst our teaching circle right now. I don't....really understand why? I've had people on both sides of the fence explain the "conflict" to me, and it always devolves into migraine inducing arguments.

I looked into it myself (not CRT - that's a given - but the arguments as to why it should or shouldn't be taught), and it seems like a no-brainer to me? We are (supposed) to "teach" on facts and the conversations that arise from them. We can talk about the "facts" about CRT (many of which are kind of horrifying to be honest) without the need to involve "parties" - just like with any other topic.

At least, we're supposed to be able to do that. Two of my colleagues from another district got into a fist fight over whether or not the January 6th movement on the Capitol was an "insurrection" or not. Wasn't pretty.

Just like with religion, I've no issues with teaching CRT. But I try to be as impartial as possible, and I do realize that it's a lot to ask of someone. I doubt that many of my colleagues could teach on religion or CRT without personal feelings or opinions getting involved. But is leaving those topics out of education better than teaching them?

I'm genuinely interested in what others think about that.

edit
For clarification, I rarely "take sides" in the topics that we discuss teaching. If we're talking about teaching religion, for example, I'd insist we teach on multiple religions, and not that one is right or wrong, but from the anthropological point of view. Which I've stated continually to my district....which is why I don't think it'll happen.

Last edited by Windaga, , Reason: Clarification added

Seliph

Best Girl ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: Jayro

nemwolf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I must confess, this is a fake post. I wanted to see if I could start a legit discussion over something I totally made up but clearly it wasn't convincing enough lol.

Feel free to lock this thread or delete it or whatever
lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Taylor Swift death metal AI cover please lol