Hacking First step to Wii programming. Help!!

epicboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello humans. I'm thinking about starting my own projects for programming for wii. This community helped me so much and I would like to pay you guys back. I understand it will be very hard to first lean how to code but I want to try something new and useful. Any ideas on where to start and how to learn all the programming languages??

Wiimpathy

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I won't say it's very hard for most humans with a brain. It depends mostly on the goal and the time you can invest. If the goal is to modify, or write a simple app, it could take a few months, 1 year, to learn the basics. For a complex hacking project (nintendon't, finding exploits), it's a complete different story : years of good knowledge in c,c++, assembly, and hardware.

It'd be better to start with a simple C tutorial, at least the first chapters to see how the language looks like (the variables, functions etc.).
You can also skip this step with the tutorials from codemii.com. They explain some basics of C, your 1st hello world, and what is wii specific.
Wiibrew has a few tutorials too.

Reactions: boobmaster

epicboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Get a C tutorials, some algebra and basic pointer, data management.

I won't say it's very hard for most humans with a brain. It depends mostly on the goal and the time you can invest. If the goal is to modify, or write a simple app, it could take a few months, 1 year, to learn the basics. For a complex hacking project (nintendon't, finding exploits), it's a complete different story : years of good knowledge in c,c++, assembly, and hardware.

It'd be better to start with a simple C tutorial, at least the first chapters to see how the language looks like (the variables, functions etc.).
You can also skip this step with the tutorials from codemii.com. They explain some basics of C, your 1st hello world, and what is wii specific.
Wiibrew has a few tutorials too.

My brother is currently taking java classes. Would it help if he taught me what he learns or is it just a waste of time for a Wii dev?

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
My brother is currently taking java classes. Would it help if he taught me what he learns or is it just a waste of time for a Wii dev?

It's a good thing if you don't care about hardware computer internals too much. But in real life there are some stuff that you have to write by yourself, which (probably) won't be available through an IDE GUI. I personally don't like java too much.

And as for programming on embedded devices , usually the big companies "tuned" compilers scrap everything bloated, code related so everything runs on bare metal relatively simple. But there's a lot of math (algebra,trigonometry) involved in there.

Also the hardware support for what you want to code. This (for me) means how useful it will be on other platforms.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Wish they would let us play the NCAA football 14 on newer xbox, its one of the only games I love...