Hacking Fix for problems Dumping to HDD on Hardmods

noobwarrior7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some usbloader users with chips get one of two errors when trying to dump a backup to HDD from Wii.

the first error is error: ret -2 I believe, where it won't recognize the disc at all.
the other is where it gets stuck at 00.00% or 00.01% and you have to do a hard reboot.

the solution is pretty simple....temporarily disable some of the features of your chip.

How? well I have the strategy I use for my chip, should work for most chips, helped me not get the error anymore.

I do not know if all the steps are really that important, but you can fiddle with it.

Pre-req's:
Pre-loader installed
HBC installed
stuff necessary to run USBLoader 1.1+ (ie: cIOS, loader dol, USB drive, etc.) [duh!!]

Okay, so the steps are:

1) Remove any DVD discs from the Wii.

2) Power Off to RED.

3) Unplug power completely for about 30 seconds [*see note: you may need to wait longer]
(During this time plug your HDD in if you haven't already)

4) Press power a couple times to discharge any residual charge, probably not needed.

[At this point, all functions of your chip, except for forcing "Wii Optical Disc" will likely be inactive until the chip can do a recovery mode detection of your region]

5) Plug power back in.

6) When Ready, press power and IMMEDIATELY press and hold RESET for like 3-4 seconds.

7) As you boot into preloader, go to homebrew channel

[At this point, you have seemingly bypassed the recovery mode detection of most chips, and you will simply be forcing DVD+R/-R to be seen as Wii Optical Disc]

8) Go to your usb loader 1.1-1.4 or other, making SURE you HDD is plugged in, start the app.

9) Press + to install, insert your backup, press A. Viola. Dump all of them now, before you insert your default region disc back at the true sysmenu.

Went from problems with 40% of backups to problems with

nash79

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gotta try this once at home, if it works ur my baby
smile.gif

Update: It doesnt work with my D2CPRO modchip
frown.gif

kevin8622

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Didn't work on my Wii 3.2E+Argon 1.

I'm still getting my previous error "WBFS Panic : Malloc fst" that happen on all my HD but only with my backups so I think it's due to my modchip

AdamBrunt

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm sure I ready somewhere on here that to successfully dump some games onto HDD using USB Loader then if you have a modchip IF YOU CAN you need to disable it's update blocking facility. The USB Loader dump process has to be able to access the update partition of the DVD IIRC.

supagusti

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
AdamBrunt said:
I'm sure I ready somewhere on here that to successfully dump some games onto HDD using USB Loader then if you have a modchip IF YOU CAN you need to disable it's update blocking facility. The USB Loader dump process has to be able to access the update partition of the DVD IIRC.

I have a Wiikey 2 with the option you discribe (block updates from other regions) enabled.
No problems so far... Have ripped about 40 games on my HDD with ultimatev7.4

nash79

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Doesnt work here niether. as u say, maybe its the battery (or maybe there's a wire on the chip that should be linked to the reset button that has not been soldered by my modder) just a guess

doesenbrot

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
supagusti said:
AdamBrunt said:

I have a Wiikey 2 with the option you discribe (block updates from other regions) enabled.
No problems so far... Have ripped about 40 games on my HDD with ultimatev7.4

I have also never have Problems like the threadstarter, using Wiikey1 with newest Update.
But of cource the USB Loader reads not all disks which are running in Wii directly.
So for me it seems to be a Problem with Quality of Disks.
Maybe USB Loader uses another Reading-Speed then Wii directly.

So far my Tests, USB Loader reads all my Disks from Verbatim, also DVDR+.
Problems are there with Sony,Platinum,Maxwell.
They run on Wii fine, but not always. Sometimes Ill get the Sounderror or Game tells, Disk is unreadable.
I put DVD out and in again and it runs, but USB Loader cant read this Disks.
So its my Problem at all, because I have some bad Disks(but of course I have all my ISOs
smile.gif
)

kevin8622

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
For me, All my backups run fine on the Wii and when I say Always it's really always I never had ANY read problem with my Wii.

But as I said previously USB Loader cannot read them (WBS Panic : Malloc fst)... And it's Work fine If I try to import an original game.
(ftpii can read them without any problem)

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Or you can just use a GUI with the DVD->WBFS function on your PC and forget about this kind of fix, and to drain the charge of "X" thing, you need to unplug, press power during 30 secs. and then plug them back (that's what Toshiba customers services told me)..!!
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @AncientBoi, https://youtu.be/UlLG4NKrE1A?si=RcoQaZShtXQhcyHJ