Tutorial  Updated

Fixing system memory error 160-0103 (failing eMMC) without soldering | using redNAND with ISFShax

What is this for?

If you are encountering Error Code 160-0103 "There is a Problem with the system memory" or your Wii U is freezing at bootup or during Factory Reset it is likely that the eMMC Chip is failing.
This tutorial goes into fixing this Error 160-0103, by using the SD card in the front slot as replacement for the failing eMMC.
In this tutorial we will rebuild the MLC, which means it is empty, whithout your data. In the end I show how to salvage savegames from the failing eMMC.

Please note there are other possible causes for the 160-0103 error (like a CBHC brick). Also there are other possible solutions to this problem. To see if this Tutorial is right for you, check out the Ultimate Wii U Troubleshooting Guide

1690709917882.png

What this will do

We will first install ISFShax, which is an early exploit that runs before the operating system loads. This allows us to patch the OS to redirects the reads and writes, that normally go to the eMMC, to a partition on the SD card. So you will need to have the SD card in the Wii U to use it, as that is now it's new internal memory.
Also you need to keep the standby servcies (and with that the Quickstart menu) disabled as they don't work with ISFShax. (Your Wii U will hang once you turn it off till you remove power if standby services are enabled).
In this tutorial we are only redirecting the MLC. If you plan to try some dangerous things in the future, you can still mess up your system SLC and SLCCMPT. If you want to use this for such experiments consider using full redNAND, where all 3 devices get redirected.

Update

28.01.2024 - Wii VC games (from he eShop or VC Injects) now works from the redNAND internal memory. Keep in mind that Wii VC is more picky about the SD card. So far Sandisk cards worked for me, but Samsung cards didn't. If the card is incompatible, it will hang on a black screen after the silver Wii logo.

Choosing an SD card

I highly recommend to use an SD card, which is designed to sustain lots of writes, like Sandisk Max Endurance or at least High Endurance or Samsung Endurance. The absolute minimum size is 8GB using, 1,5GB for the FAT32 partition and the rest for the MLC partition, but it is recommend for the the card should have at least 16GB, so you can have at least 8GB for the MLC partition. The Maximum size of SD you can use is 2TB.

Since the Wii U Discs suffering from Disc rot and also for convenience, you probably want to dump all your Game Discs and install the Games from these Dumps You find detailed instructions on how to do that here: https://wiiu.hacks.guide/#/dump-games (do it after you completed this guide)
Later in that guidel you will create a second partition, which replaces the Internal Memory. You won't be able to resize that partition, without rebuilding again, so you better size everythng properly the first time.
The first partition is where all the Homebrew goes to and also where the dumps of the Wii U games go to. So this partition needs to have at least enough space to store your largest Wii U game with some extra space. If you want to use a USB Loader with vWii, you can also store the (OG) Wii games on the FAT32 partition.
The second partition (the MLC partition, which you format initally with NTFS) is where you install all your Wii U games (eShop and dumped Disc games, updates, DLC, saves...) to, including the VC Injectes. Also 5GB are used up by the Wii U system.
Make sure the the SD card can fi both these partitions.

Installing ISFShax

For installing ISFShax follow this tutorial: https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-set-up-isfshax.642258 but skip the "Autoboot" part for now.

Optional: Backing up savegames

If your Wii U can still run Tiramisu or Aroma: https://wiiu.hacks.guide/#/ you can use SaveMii to back up your save games.
If it can't you then you probably already used UDPIH to install ISFShax. Launch the recovery again using UDPIH and then use the Dump SLC + MLC option. Your SD card needs to have at least 64GB for that (for a 32GB console). You then need to merge mlc.bin.part files in the right order and can then extract the savegames using wfs-extract.
TODO: add more details

If you lost the password to your NNID and can't recover it because the email doesn't exist anymore, you can transfer it. This is only a last resort option. If you still have the email address, it would be better to use the "Forgot Password" option now, as you won't have it on the new system.
There is also the option to use a password reset option on the PC. For that you need to create a Nintendo Account and then link the NNID to it. When linking it will ask for the password and give a reset option using the email.

Keep in mind this transfer only works on the same console and only if you don't do a Factory Reset.
To transfer the NNID It's enough to copy the account.dat file over.
You can use ftpiiu everywhere to save it to the PC for now. Just copy the whole /storage_mlc/usr/save/system/act/ folder to the PC. In that folder you find one subfolder for each user and in that subfolder you find an account.dat (it's a plain text file, you can open it with notepad). The folders are numbered in the order the users were created.

On the new rebuild mlc the numbering will start again with 80000001. If the user with the NNID had a larger number just create new users on the new system until you reach that number. Then you can copy the account.dat back and reboot.
After that you should be able to access the eShop and download the games again.

Partitioning the SD card

On Windows you need to use a third party tool like Minitool Partition Wizard or easeus, on Linux you can use gparted.
You need to have two primary partitions on the card:
  1. FAT32 - (in gparted set lba flag). This is what the PC will see and all your homebrew goes
  2. NTFS - This partition will be the MLC replacement, it should have at least 8GB. (don't assign a drive letter)
Shrink the existing FAT32 partition to make room and then create the NTFS partition after it. It's recommended to align the Partitions on 64MiB boundaries and use a multiple of 64MiB for the size. The MLC (NTFS) partition should be at least 8GB but other than that you can choose whatever sizes you like.

Configuring redNAND

Create a file minute/rednand.ini on the sdcard with the following content:
INI:
[partitions]
slccmpt=false
slc=false
mlc=true

[scfm]
disable=true
allow_sys=false

Rebuilding the MLC

1. Download all the mlc system titles for your region from NUS. This can be done conveniently with MLCRestorerDownloader by @Xpl0itU. To use the MLCRestoreDownloader, you need to extract it and then copy the otp.bin from the SD card to it's directory. Then start the Downloader and select mlc and then your consoles region.
    You will get the output/MLC/{region} directory, which contains a directory for each title. In total there should be 52 titles totaling ~1.1GiB.
    If your console has an older firmware it might also be necessary to get the latest SLC titles.

2. On the root of your SD card create a folder wafel_install. Then copy all 52 titles to the wafel_install folder, so it now contains the 52 subfolders, one for each title. If you want to reinstall / update SLC titles, you would also put them there.

3. Put the wafel_setup_mlc.ipx on the SD card in /wiiu/ios_plugins.

4. Select Patch (sd) and Boot ios redNAND in minute to start the setup of your fresh MLC.
    During the setup you won't see anything on the screen. You have to go by the power led.
    The power LED will flash blue, while it is installing the titles.
    if something goes wrong the LED will turn orange, but it will continue as long as it is blinking.
    The LED will become static once it finished. You can now power off the console.
    If the led is blinking red, something fatal happend. Ask for help.
    During the setup a short log gets written to the SD: wafel_setup_mlc.log.
    In the end it will enable the inital setup on the next boot.

5. Remove the wafel_setup_mlc.ipx from /wiiu/ios_plugins on the SD.

6. Select Patch (sd) and Boot ios redNAND again. If everything worked, the initial setup should launch.
    (no longer required with latest minute)

7. Follow through with the initial setup. After the "settings" part of the setup, it will drop you back into minute, just select Patch (sd) and Boot redNAND again.

Setting up autoboot

To automatically boot into redNAND create the file sd:/minute/minute.ini with the following content:
INI:
[boot]
autoboot=2
autoboot_timeout=1

Installing minute to SLC

If you haven't already installed minute (fw.img) to the SLC, you should do that now so In case the SD get's lost the Wii U displays at least the minute menu. Follow the "Booting without SD" section from the ISFShax tutorial for that. You only need to install the fw.img and can skip the ios_plugins part as you probably don't want to to boot the eMMC anyway.

Credits

• smealum and WulfyStylez for redNAND
  • @shinyquagsire23 for minute, stroopwafel
  • @rw-r-r_0644 for finding and implementing isfshax
  • @GaryOderNichts and @QuarkTheAwesome for their direct contributions and help to the mlc setup
  • @V10lator for implementing Quota support and some improvements
  • @Xpl0itU for MLCRestorerDownloader
  • @vgmoose for all the support and for the Wii U that replaced the one Idestroyed during early isfshax testing
  • @Maschell for his help and all other contributions to the Wii U scene
  • @Lazr1026 for testing and some fixes
  • hexkyz for the warmboot boot1 exploit which made all of this possible
  • Salt Team for the original minute CFW
  • dimok789, FIX94 and others for the iosuhax CFW
  • fail0verflow for mini
  • and all other contributors to the Wii U scene!

Last edited by SDIO,

Zheta

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Except for a few random attempts, I have been installing to USB. I have slccmpt=false in rednand.ini.

I can't even get WiiVC that I bought and downloaded from eshop to work like Kirby's Epic Yarn, Metroid Prime Trilogy and Punch Out so I must be doing something wrong. :sleep:

lizy996

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Can I install isfshax or use rednand under defuse? My wiiu emmc is completely damaged and I can only use defuse

SDIO

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
defuse can replace isfshax. You can either use defuse in place of isfshax (just replace the minute fw.img and the wafel_core.ipx with the ones I linked in the isfshax tutorial).
You can also use defuse to launche the isfshax installer from there and then install isfshax to replace defuse.

Zheta

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any chance you know if there is another step I need to take to get VC content working (or does redNAND break that)?

Major steps taken with my WiiU were: installing Tiramisu > Aroma (wiiu.hacks.guide) > then my MLC is acting funny so, on advice from discord, followed your redNAND / ISFShax guides > reinstalled PayloadLoader > and then followed wiiu.hacks.guide/#/vwii-modding.

SDIO

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Wii VC won't work from rednand, you have to use USB for that. When running in Wii Mode, there is a different Firmware running on the ARM. The rednand patches get only applied to the Firmware for WiiU mode.

Zheta

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii VC won't work from rednand, you have to use USB for that.
Could you expand on that? I have the games installed on an external USB hard drive, but I take it you mean something different? Launching the games leads to a crash/blackscreen.

Zheta

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Roger. If you do think of anything I could try, I would appreciate the advice.
Post automatically merged:

I did a full wipe of vWii with vWii Decaffeinator, switched back to internal NAND, and then reformatted my HDD with the Wii, and *only* downloaded Mario Galaxy 2 VC from eShop and FINALLY that launched, so something was up with my HDD (I assume).

Last edited by Zheta,

lizy996

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
defuse can replace isfshax. You can either use defuse in place of isfshax (just replace the minute fw.img and the wafel_core.ipx with the ones I linked in the isfshax tutorial).
You can also use defuse to launche the isfshax installer from there and then install isfshax to replace defuse.
I used defuse to install isfshax, but the prompt is not supported because my wiiu firmware is 4.02? Also, try starting Patch (sd) and Boot redNAND under defuse, with the screen fixed at OTP STORE at. What should I do next
IMG_20231116_205419.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20231116_205435.jpg
    IMG_20231116_205435.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20231116_205746.jpg
    IMG_20231116_205746.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 35

SDIO

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I am confused. You show me that you couldn't install it because the boot1 was too old and then you show how it was installed. Did you update boot1? If so how and did you update something else.

Also what is the problem you are trying to solve and what is your goal? Why do you need ISFShax, if you already have defused it?

It's also not hanging at the the OTP store. The IOSU is starting, but because it is to old minute couldn't apply the patches, neither to tolerate ISFShax nor for the setup, so it is just crashing before it can display something by itself (what you see is the last message from minute)

You can download and extract the latest osv10 with JNUSTool and get the fw.img from there. This can then be renamed to ios_orig.img and loaded from the SD, so you have the latest iosu where the patches work

lizy996

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
I am confused. You show me that you couldn't install it because the boot1 was too old and then you show how it was installed. Did you update boot1? If so how and did you update something else.

Also what is the problem you are trying to solve and what is your goal? Why do you need ISFShax, if you already have defused it?

It's also not hanging at the the OTP store. The IOSU is starting, but because it is to old minute couldn't apply the patches, neither to tolerate ISFShax nor for the setup, so it is just crashing before it can display something by itself (what you see is the last message from minute)

You can download and extract the latest osv10 with JNUSTool and get the fw.img from there. This can then be renamed to ios_orig.img and loaded from the SD, so you have the latest iosu where the p
I saw more logs on putty using defuse. I have downloaded OSv10, but it seems that all options except for the rednand option will access EMMC. Run iOS_ Orig. img will always prompt MLC open attempt, possibly because my MLC has been completely damaged. Is there any other way to skip checking EMMC and run Rednand using OSv10?

I saw more logs on putty using defuse. I have downloaded OSv10, but it seems that all options except for the rednand option will access EMMC. Run iOS_ Orig. img will always prompt MLC open attempt, possibly because my MLC has been completely damaged. Is there any other way to skip checking EMMC and run Rednand using OSv10?
I want to repair a damaged EMMC wiiu with firmware 4.02. However, I still cannot detect MLC by soldering the SD card, so I will try to see if Rednand can solve the problem

Attachments

• putty.txt
    1,020.9 KB · Views: 34
Last edited by lizy996,

SDIO

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
redNAND won't work if the real MLC isn't detected. It needs the device to show up as just the actual read and write operations to this device are redirected.

For the ios_orig.img with redNAND I see your problem. I could add that option if you really need it. But you have to first fix the MLC problem anyway and for that you might also just replace the eMMC with a SD directly.
How did your eMMC become so damaged that it doesn't show up? Maybe it's fine and just one of the resistors failed. I would recommend checking them with a multimeter.

lizy996

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
redNAND won't work if the real MLC isn't detected. It needs the device to show up as just the actual read and write operations to this device are redirected.

For the ios_orig.img with redNAND I see your problem. I could add that option if you really need it. But you have to first fix the MLC problem anyway and for that you might also just replace the eMMC with a SD directly.
How did your eMMC become so damaged that it doesn't show up? Maybe it's fine and just one of the resistors failed. I would recommend checking them with a multimeter.
Can I replace EMMC with an empty FAT32 SD card without an MLC backup? If the welding is okay, at least it can be detected?

lizy996

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
After welding the SD card, I still couldn't detect MLC. Using a multimeter, I found a short circuit between the clk of the EMMC and the 3.3V power supply, with a resistance of only 3 ohms. Is this normal? Do I need to completely remove the EMMC?

After welding the SD card, I still couldn't detect MLC. Using a multimeter, I found a short circuit between the clk of the EMMC and the 3.3V power supply, with a resistance of only 3 ohms. Is this normal? Do I need to completely remove the EMMC?
The short circuit point is as shown in the figure. I suspect that there is a short circuit inside the EMMC, causing the external SD card to not function properly?
IMG_20231117_085302.png

SDIO

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I looked at the log again and it seems you have isfshax installed, but you are missing the isfshax patch for IOSU. Thats why IOSU crashes before it even would try to mount the MLC.

If you have already cut the clk line, which side is shorted to 3V3? the eMMC side or the host side?

lizy996

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
I looked at the log again and it seems you have isfshax installed, but you are missing the isfshax patch for IOSU. Thats why IOSU crashes before it even would try to mount the MLC.

If you have already cut the clk line, which side is shorted to 3V3? the eMMC side or the host side?
the emmc shorted to 3.3v. And I have removed all the resistors. Is it still necessary to remove the EMMC?

After installing isfshax, disconnect the defuse and it won't work properly. The blue light flashes when I turn on the power, and I uninstalled it again. It may be due to the old firmware

Last edited by lizy996,

SDIO

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
As long as the eMMC is not pulling the 3V3 down to GND it should be fine to leave it on. By removing the resistors and cutting the clk line you isolated it from all the signals. If you are installing NAND-AID, don't close the DIS-Jumper, as that would short the CLK line, to GND, which would be bad in your case as that would short 3V3 to GND.

I would suggest you remove ISFShax again, since you have defuse for now anyway and then boot without the wafel install plugin and just look at the log if the mlc device is commong up. If you are unlucky the shorted emmc damaged the host controller, but since everything is 3V3 level I think there is a good chance it still works.

Lapin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
It wasn't easy but I finally made it, I have my WiiU booting into rednand from the SD card! This is such a great hack, I can't praise you enough for it. As a side note, the most excruciating part was reinjecting my saves with savemii, as it is necessary to edit the folders for each exported save and then import the saves one by one, urgh, but at least this is only necessary for the WiiU saves, the Wii saves aren't associated with any user account (I didn't have anything on the internal memory).
I did have some issues with the rednand. I got a error code 160-2203 once when booting. It went away after rebooting but I have no clue what cause it. It was also sometimes freezing when exiting a game with the home button. I did a checkdisk on the SD card, I don't know if that sorted out the thing or if it just went away by itself. In any case, everything is working perfectly now.
EDIT: Another issue is that the system reboots when leaving the system settings for some reason and then my icons are all rearranged. The problem is solved by rebooting manually. So maybe I should power off instead of exiting when in system settings? Possibly a bug with rednand but I couldn't find anything about it.

Last edited by Lapin,

SDIO

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I got a error code 160-2203 once when booting. It went away after rebooting but I have no clue what cause it. It was also sometimes freezing when exiting a game with the home button.
If you sent me the logs, I can take a look.
Was your Wii U on the latest firmware before you installed rednand? If not you could install the latest OSv10 with NUSspli (title 000500101000400A)

Another issue is that the system reboots when leaving the system settings for some reason and then my icons are all rearranged. The problem is solved by rebooting manually.
You probably have Aroma installed and autoboot into that. When you leave the settings, the Wii U does a reboot, but with stroowafel the Aroma won't be launched automatically on that reboot. It's a known problem

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Like gnome didn't even detect it correctly