Hacking Fixing vWii Mode

connrrr

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've spent the past few weeks reverse engineering the DMCU firmware and trying to fix some of the issues mentioned with vWii mode.
This resulted in the following Aroma plugin which can apply DMCU patches to achieve a custom viewport and maybe more things in the future:
Note that I'm definitely not a video quality enthusiast so any feedback would be appreciated : P
Also thanks to @Vague Rant who helped a lot with this!

Outstanding work!! Do you think this plugin could be paired with a function that puts the Wii U into a 480i/p output mode when the Wii Menu is launched as well? Could there also be a way to get 1:1 pixel mapping in 720 or 1080 modes? The possibilities seem… possible lol, at least to me.

DragonW

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

grandosegood

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Gamecube IPL(bios) also causes color-bleeding, you should skip the IPL or not have it on your SD card in the first place (if you don't want color-bleeding).
Because I no longer let the IPL load and set the video width to "auto", most of my Gamecube games run without color bleeding only a handful like Mario Strikers and Mario Sunshine continue to have the problem.

For the handful of games with color bleeding, I recommend playing the games on the Wii U gamepad, which makes the color bleeding barely noticeable.
You can easily install your Gamecube and Wii games as a forwarder on your Wii U Menu (with gamepad compatibility) using teconmoon wiivc injector, however newer Nintendont
versions no longer work with the Gamecube forwarders. I added my working Nintendont version.

Hi there, I've always enjoyed having the gamecube logo load on my wii u when running the games via wii vc inject. is it true that having the bios with the latest nintendont by fix94 will cause color-bleeding? I'm currently using force Widescreen, force ntsc, wii u widescreen and emulate memory card. Thanks.

Cosmyc

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
So I assume the forced cropping that the Wii U does to the vWii overscan is solved with that DMCU firmware patch through that plugin for Aroma but, scaling and chroma shift are still a problem to solve.
Leaving aside those two issues, the current situation of the vWii image quality is "perfect"?
Is still feasible to solve the scaling and chroma shift in the future?

Wario Ware Mega Party Games on Nintendont, first picture with auto width setting which has chroma shift, second picture with 640 width which seems to fix it. Easy to spot the difference when looking closely at the blue "W" on the hand cursor with yellow color around it, bleeding blue towards the right into the yellow.

20240107_025940.jpg

20240107_025708.jpg

Last edited by Cosmyc,
Reactions: emcintosh

PandFurr

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Thank you! I was actually just updating my findings right as you posted. I'll give those values a try later cause I am BEAT, I got super close to them!

**Here's the original update for anybody who wants to do this as well:**

I believe I have gotten pretty close, but may be a few pixels off. Did my best to test this by using a Classic Controller and putting the cursor on each corner of the screen & then comparing the TV output to the GamePad.

These are the config values I used:

Pictures of result:
View attachment 362659

and here is before:
View attachment 362660

Someone else who understands this stuff more than I do may want to optimize the config values a bit more but this seems very close to a perfect crop.

Would be great if the evWii plugin had this as a preset or an option :)
Wow this is outstanding ❤️❤️

Shahaan

Trophies
XP
Country
South Africa
I don't know if anyone has posted about this yet but I just figured that as far as Nintedont goes, if you use the IPL and set the screen position to 01 in the Options menu, it actually gets rid of the chroma bleeding to my eyes

Edit: Looks like I got a little excited there because this doesn't affect ingame

Edit 2: If you skip the IPL and set the video width to 1 in Nintendont it will work in-game, which I recall someone saying something like this to that effect in this thread once

Edit 3: It doesn't seem to work for every game, for instance it can work on Super Smash Bros. Melee, but not Mario Kart Double Dash

Last edited by Shahaan,

PlatyPete

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is input lag/latency something other people have experienced with vWii? I've got a European Wii U if that makes a difference.
I've noticed a bit with the Wii U pad, but nothing more than usual for Wii games with a wii-mote. Since they're both wireless and using an older standard, there's gonna be a little bit of lag whatever you do :/

mirrorbender

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is input lag/latency something other people have experienced with vWii? I've got a European Wii U if that makes a difference.
There is about 1 frame (16ms) of added lag in vWii mode compared to a real Wii.
I don't know if anyone has posted about this yet but I just figured that as far as Nintedont goes, if you use the IPL and set the screen position to 01 in the Options menu, it actually gets rid of the chroma bleeding to my eyes

Edit: Looks like I got a little excited there because this doesn't affect ingame

Edit 2: If you skip the IPL and set the video width to 1 in Nintendont it will work in-game, which I recall someone saying something like this to that effect in this thread once

Edit 3: It doesn't seem to work for every game, for instance it can work on Super Smash Bros. Melee, but not Mario Kart Double Dash
It depends on the width of the game's output. If the width/2 is even, an odd-numbered offset (i.e. 1 or -1) will align the chroma better. If width/2 is odd, an even offset (i.e. 0) will be better. Melee has a width of 640 so you want an odd offset. MKDD has a width of 666 so you want even.

Not sure exactly how the IPL factors in, but since you can change the horizontal offset in the gamecube menu it doesn't surprise me that it can interfere.

Clector

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
I think the IPL (and some games) re-initialize the VI configuration to their own settings, which is probably why you see the chroma shift return even after it sort of fixes with some games and the IPL.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    MrNoobNub @ MrNoobNub: why is everyone so horny