Further information about the upcoming Nintendo Switch "Mig Switch" flashcart has been revealed

mig.png

A few days after the monumental reveal of a work-in-progress flashcart being made for the Nintendo Switch, more information has been made available. The previously unnamed flashcart is set to be called "Mig Switch", and the initial Twitter user that unveiled the Mig Switch's existence, After Time X, managed to get in contact with the team behind it all. According to them, they were offered a review unit of the Mig Switch, but turned it down, as the After Time X team fears legal repercussions from dealing with "backup loader" hardware.

Another interesting tidbit is that existing dumps of Switch games will NOT be compatible with the Mig Switch, and backups will need to be repacked to function with the flashcart. Games played with the flashcart can be played online, as well.

The Mig Switch currently has a website, where it is seeking distributors to work together with in order to sell initial limited quantities of the Mig Switch device, with the first units to be delivered sometime in January. The team claims that full availability is expected around March/April 2024. It'll come with the Mig Switch card, and the Mig Switch Dumper, with the latter of which allowing you to back up your games using NXdumpTool.

:arrow: Official Website

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a question about this flashcart. Maybe a developper can answer.

If we can run switch software with this, does that mean we could use it as an entrypoint to install something like atmosphere or some other CFW on Mariko or Aula switch?

KiwiFruit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a question about this flashcart. Maybe a developper can answer.

If we can run switch software with this, does that mean we could use it as an entrypoint to install something like atmosphere or some other CFW on Mariko or Aula switch?

no, sys does not trust the gamecard and vise versa, it is all sandboxed and different hardware

Well Gateway3DS required a hack, this doesn't.

id be surprised if this wasn't also some sort of hack on lotus, either hardware or software explot. latter can be patched and could render the thing a brick

lotus is good about spoofing in simple terms, hasnt been a flashcart for this long for a reson

Memfis

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I'm waiting for a softmod. I think it' silly to buy a flashcard and give real personal data (Bank / Name / Address) to someone criminal. I also hate commercial piratery. Look to SX OS. You paid for it and now it's completely useless. Atmosphere is for free and still working.

Reactions: RedTony

fst312

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Watch everyone on GBAtemp hate on them because they are for profit.
Not me though, maybe because I don’t need it. I really think this is made for people that just want free switch games and don’t care about being banned, hoping it can still be used for more than that though. So it’s really just for v2 switch’s mainly. As long as it’s affordable, nothing to really be mad about, if it’s expensive, just buy a v1 switch or locate a reliable installer.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
id be surprised if this wasn't also some sort of hack on lotus, either hardware or software explot. latter can be patched and could render the thing a brick

lotus is good about spoofing in simple terms, hasnt been a flashcart for this long for a reson
It most likely just writes to a RAM chip that spoofs a cartridge, using the Nintendo SDK to make it look legit.

Reactions: Pismire and BigOnYa

anhminh

Pirate since 2010
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
So how would a flashcard fit in the cartridge slot? The cartridge is as thin as an SD card, the flashcard would have to be pretty small for it to fit together with an micro sd card.

ZeroFX

why?
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Let them just launch it, then someone in the future will most likely reverse it and open it for anyone to produce and sell, like the psvita adapters, this method could help 1bit people, for example, if modifying it to run atmosphere turns out to be possible...

Reactions: slaphappygamer

tommasi

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
meh, this one is developed by the russians. not giving them any money until russia stops the war in ukraine.
I’ll buy 2 don’t worry
Post automatically merged:

The release of this flashcart, will bring lots of profit from selling the hardware. Big N will also release the new hardware at the end of the year.

• Haha
Reactions: Cris1997XX

titan_tim

(Can't shut up)
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
If the future versions can work for the switch 2, this will be a huge seller. We're not going to see a CFW for that for years, so this is the next best thing.

Morricorne

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
If I had the opportunity. I would like to test this device on my v1 switch. On a regular Sysnand. I don't play online anyway. I wonder if there is actually a risk of a ban for this. Are these just empty promises?

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So how would a flashcard fit in the cartridge slot? The cartridge is as thin as an SD card, the flashcard would have to be pretty small for it to fit together with an micro sd card.
I don't believe you had a caliper at hand to double check this statement. (PS: a game card is several times thicker than a microSD)

Reactions: BigOnYa

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They claim it to be russian, but it's most likely just the same old same old.
what gave it away?
TX MAX.jpg

Post automatically merged:

nintendo is booking a cell for these guys as we speak
100% no fucking way will there be no repercussions! :lol:
well it says it can only be used with your own dumps
unless some other anonomous scene group were to releaese a tool to convert existing dumps to a useable format after the fact.
totally beyond thier knowledge of course

Last edited by weatMod,
  • Haha
Reactions: BigOnYa

Kurt91

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, here's my question for anybody knowledgeable.

I used to have an old DSTT card. You loaded the card, and it brought you to a second menu where you could choose what you wanted to play from a list.

What keeps them from having the files to get past the security check, even if you have to supply a game XCI or whatever yourself to use as a boot-file, and then loading a menu to pick what you want to play instead of repeatedly inserting the card to cycle through them one at a time? I'd imagine once you got past the security check once, you'd be good to go.

KiwiFruit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It most likely just writes to a RAM chip that spoofs a cartridge, using the Nintendo SDK to make it look legit.

spoof from sdk can be blacklisted

lotus is hard to trick permanently, is why am skeptical and as said before this very basic stuff we have known for long time for lotus and how it operates, spoof is very basic entry

but like said lotus very rarely has neede updates and many dont understand it and treat switch like 3ds

Reactions: Pismire

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @BakerMan, Fuck sigma, go with sugma.