Further information about the upcoming Nintendo Switch "Mig Switch" flashcart has been revealed

mig.png

A few days after the monumental reveal of a work-in-progress flashcart being made for the Nintendo Switch, more information has been made available. The previously unnamed flashcart is set to be called "Mig Switch", and the initial Twitter user that unveiled the Mig Switch's existence, After Time X, managed to get in contact with the team behind it all. According to them, they were offered a review unit of the Mig Switch, but turned it down, as the After Time X team fears legal repercussions from dealing with "backup loader" hardware.

Another interesting tidbit is that existing dumps of Switch games will NOT be compatible with the Mig Switch, and backups will need to be repacked to function with the flashcart. Games played with the flashcart can be played online, as well.

The Mig Switch currently has a website, where it is seeking distributors to work together with in order to sell initial limited quantities of the Mig Switch device, with the first units to be delivered sometime in January. The team claims that full availability is expected around March/April 2024. It'll come with the Mig Switch card, and the Mig Switch Dumper, with the latter of which allowing you to back up your games using NXdumpTool.

:arrow: Official Website

realtimesave

///AMG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bet Nintendo is going to have US Customs all over this real fast. I lost 2 mod chips for switch due to that, and I reverse credited it with the CC company so got all my money back. Later on I bought a whole bunch of modchips from aliexpress no issues. See my sig.

• Haha
Reactions: impeeza

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I rather them wait until the switch is EOL. The CFW isn't as relevant as it was 4 years ago...

Steam Deck
ROG Ally

And many more cam emulate the switch

Reyvateil

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I Saw on twitter that a beta tester use the same cert/UID for every games like a private header with the Sky3DS+.
If it's true, that will allow us to just take official xci dump and add our "private header" dumped from one of our game, and never sell it to Always have this private header. And that's surely why there is a dumper in the package. Exactly like the Sky3DS+.

If someone really know how works cert and UID in Switch, is it similar to 3DS to allow us to use one cert for all games ?

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I Saw on twitter that a beta tester use the same cert/UID for every games like a private header with the Sky3DS+.
If it's true, that will allow us to just take official xci dump and add our "private header" dumped from one of our game, and never sell it to Always have this private header. And that's surely why there is a dumper in the package. Exactly like the Sky3DS+.

If someone really know how works cert and UID in Switch, is it similar to 3DS to allow us to use one cert for all games ?

"Nobody" really does. If you are referring to the twitter posted in the main article, there is some inconsistency with its reporting. There is even speculation on their part. Based on what the beta tester was reported to say and the website itself, it does seem like it could work in theory, but how for how long? Nintendo also potentially has security methods that are not disclosed yet, so I am very reluctant in encouraging anybody to try this.

If they are able to determine that the cert/UID does not match the game that you are playing, then that would probably be enough cause for them to ban your entire system, as it shows that you aren't using an official cart, but something that clearly breaks their TOS/EULA.

Reyvateil

Trophies
XP
Country
France
"Nobody" really does. If you are referring to the twitter posted in the main article, there is some inconsistency with its reporting. There is even speculation on their part. Based on what the beta tester was reported to say and the website itself, it does seem like it could work in theory, but how for how long? Nintendo also potentially has security methods that are not disclosed yet, so I am very reluctant in encouraging anybody to try this.

If they are able to determine that the cert/UID does not match the game that you are playing, then that would probably be enough cause for them to ban your entire system, as it shows that you aren't using an official cart, but something that clearly breaks their TOS/EULA.
The website sound more like "i protect my ass" than a real "here is how it works", i will wait the launch to see if it's works like private header. If it's the case it will be a game changer

• Haha
Reactions: Quore and tabzer

peteruk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I made a conscious choice about a year or so back to 'move on' my V1 beautifully hard modded Switch, I came to the same conclusion that many digital hoarders come to at some point or another and that is the fact that you either never play any of the games you hoard OR you only play a handful of them.

In my case I only ever play the Mario titles and therefore purchased all the games on cartridge legit, I've been far happier since as I really enjoy the console now and play SMM2 using NSO most days.

Now back on topic lol, with all the above taken in to account if the price is right and my account is safe from ban then I think I'd be a buyer around the £40 price point (no more than £50 shipped). At this price I can meddle around with some titles I fancied playing (other than Mario) and with the general hope that at some point it could be further used for homebrew.

I never thought I'd be here saying this, but homebrew is the only thing I actually miss about my original Switch and I've had far more satisfaction from playing the games I legally purchased

TL/DR..
If the cart is cheap & bans can be evaded I'm in!
If the cart is overpriced & people are getting hammered I'm out!

salazarcosplay

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can't use old game dumps... and have to make your own? what is the point of this? the only thing i would use this for is homebrew and save import's and stuff like that. stupid nintendo for locking save's to the system same thing for PS5.
The point is when you have 1 copy and multiple systems. For example families with kids, each kid has a switch and they have to share 1 copy of the game

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: DJPlace and impeeza

Perfect One

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
You can try to merge/convert them with MSC Builder and see if it supports them
THAT is what i wanna see when i or someone else have this flashcart.

Another test i wanna do/see is playing a digital-only game converted into xci via this cartridge.

Both cases are custom xcis, which i i doubt won't work, as this totally relies on switch playing them instead of requiring special hardware in the cartridge itself. This is how well it worked in SXOS days, but, this time, via physical method.

I'm SO glad this method is coming, as i always preferred using xci, even custom ones, than installing and uninstalling digital copies.

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Mig-Switch does not approve the use of its device with ROMs of games that you do not own, downloaded from the Internet or owned by a friend or any outside source. Beside the fact that it is illegal, it will void our warranty and support."

Exactly the way to go, now you can save your original cart in almost mint condition except the one time you dump it.

Reactions: BigOnYa and impeeza

NinStar

Ny'hrarr ♂
Trophies
Website
ninstar.carrd.co
XP
Country
Brazil
"Mig-Switch does not approve the use of its device with ROMs of games that you do not own, downloaded from the Internet or owned by a friend or any outside source. Beside the fact that it is illegal, it will void our warranty and support."
That's exactly what I would say if I wanted people to do the exact opposite.

mrgone

old man
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
  1. Online mode is only recommended with a fully complete game dump
  2. If a valid Certificate, Card ID Set, or Card UID is missing, online mode is not recommended as it can lead to ban

does this mean it works also with fake certs?
i did not see any mention reagrding this way to start a game.
i would suspect this only works on modded consoles, but i don't know

does anyone know more?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: You can remove the bloat ware and ads easily but can't install a rom