Gaming Games That Need Porting

D

Deleted_171835

My point is that they didn't change it though. Metal Gear Solid HD Collection (admittedly I love it) looks better, controls better, and runs smoother. That's the case with most HD ports.

An even better (and closer) example is Perfect Dark. The XBLA version runs better (a smooth 60FPS), controls better (it has the best controller known to man and not the worst controller known to man like its original platform), and looks better (well the game still looks like shit but it looks better still). But it's still the same game. But it's a port, I don't expect much.

They were given an opportunity to fix the game. Everything you described can be done on a HD port, for a remake I would expect them to really make the game different. It's an incredibly lazy remake if it ends up feeling like a port, that's my point.
Buy a 3DS and play the game if you really want to discuss it. Otherwise, you don't really have an argument as you don't know how it is.

Reactions: 1 person

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
What is a remake?
re-make, make again, make the game from nothing.
According to what game developer? Source, please.

Not sure if you're being stubborn and playing the stupid or if you really believe this.
A guide for noobs of what the prefix re means:
http://www.primaryresources.co.uk/english/powerpoints/prefixes_re.swf

Totally different from getting the same game, remodel some things, apply high-res textures and call it a remake.
I suppose that Halo Anniversary is just a 360 port of an Xbox game, then. That game did far less than OoT 3D did (the exact same engine with no refinements, with a graphics overlay) and people still consider it a remake.

Tell those people they're wrong, and same as 3DS OOT, these are just enchanced ports

It's not a remake, it's a enchanced port
Oh, so now your argument's changed from a port to an ENHANCED port, which is somehow different from a remake. I see.
You make this way too easy.

port with retexturing = enchanced port
I don't see how this is "changing my mind".

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Not to mention the improved framerate (15-20FPS to 30FPS).
I thought I mentioned that... Must've slipped my mind.

My point is that they didn't change it though. Metal Gear Solid HD Collection (admittedly I love it) looks better, controls better, and runs smoother. That's the case with most HD ports.

An even better (and closer) example is Perfect Dark. The XBLA version runs better (a smooth 60FPS), controls better (it has the best controller known to man and not the worst controller known to man like its original platform), and looks better (well the game still looks like shit but it looks better still). But it's still the same game. But it's a port, I don't expect much.

They were given an opportunity to fix the game. Everything you described can be done on a HD port, for a remake I would expect them to really make the game different. It's an incredibly lazy remake if it ends up feeling like a port, that's my point.
The fact that you can possibly judge the CONTROLS of all things without having ever played it baffles the hell out of me.

Not sure if you're being stubborn and playing the stupid or if you really believe this.
Stop dodging the question. I didn't ask you the technical definition and root of the prefix "re," but the definition of a video game remake from a reputable source. And SoulX already posted at least one quote that says you're wrong.
port with retexturing = enchanced port
I don't see how this is "changing my mind".
Because you said port initially, you didn't say "enhanced port." The two words mean different things. Also, "partial remake" is synonymous with "enhanced port," according to Wikipedia. So having the word "port" in the name means nothing. It's likely a merger of the two, as I said in one of my earliest posts on this topic.

Anyway, I'm through here. All you do in every debate you get into is twist around words and argue technicalities that have nothing to do with the discussion at hand. All there is to be done when you start a storm is have a little fun, laugh at you, and then leave. Feel free to take the last word, if you wish.

Reactions: 2 people

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Maybe we could just say that there's gray area where both the word "port" and the word "remake" could apply
using a frase something like this :
"An enhanced port IS a remake"​
(Now this is the part where everyone from both sides of the argument jumps on me and repeatedly kicks and stabs me for saying something stupid.)
Troll feeding is a BAD idea. Just let the thread BURN...

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Maybe we could just say that there's gray area where both the word "port" and the word "remake" could apply
That's what I said. Both in a much earlier post, and in a more recent one. Partial remake and enhanced ports are synonymous terms in gaming.

D

Deleted_171835

(Now this is the part where everyone from both sides of the argument jumps on me and repeatedly kicks and stabs me for saying something stupid.)
Troll feeding is a BAD idea. Just let the thread BURN...
I have to disagree. A remake is the same game fundamentally but with visual improvements and sometimes gameplay enhancements (with OOT 3D both feature).

An enhanced port generally contains the same code and few improvements. Persona 4: Golden is an example of an enhanced port.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Am I really reading that Ocarina of Time 3D is more a port than a remake?

Yes, you are!

That's wrong in so many ways. Graphics were completely overhauled

Completely overhauled?! You can still find in-game objects that are unchanged(fences, stairs and many others).

Water Temple was fixed

It wasn't fixed because the original wasn't broken, like @ShadowSoldier said,
they just changed the way to change the boots.

interface was streamlined and more.

Comes with the retexture. I've played OOT with high-res textures a dozen of times,
and sincerely, some parts look better than OOT 3D(The water, link's wood shield, Zora's Fountain, Goron's Cavern, the special effects when songs are played...)
Go back and play OOT on an N64. Then go and play OOT 3D. If you still think it's more of a port, then I honestly think you should go to an eye doctor.

Every single texture and model is improved.

061611_zeldacomparison_market2--article_image.jpg

In fact, if some parts are indeed the same, prove it. Show me some screenshots or videos that show that.

That's one part that I already said that changed.

Take a look at these screenshots from OOT 3D and OOT with high-res textures

Water Temple 3DS
269582_S.jpg

Water Temple with high-res
2dgkdxc.png

Kakariko Village 3DS
kakariko-village-1.jpg

Kakariko village with high-res textures
Zelda_OOT_hi-res_Celda_Kakiriko.jpg

chest in 3DS
550w_gamingreview_zeldaoot_3d_3.jpg

chest with high-res testures
chest.jpg

Almost everything in original Zelda with high-res textures look better than 3DS version.
The 3D models in OOT for 3DS were re-done, the boots are now equipable itens, and some parts were changed for 3D models(hyrule town and horse's room),
but everything else is re-texturing.
You realize most of those pics aren't even in the original 3DS resolution so it looks worse. And good job on finding the worst possible pic of Kakiro Village. I've completed the game and it doesn't look like that.

Why are you comparing the re-textured emulated version instead of the N64 version? I'm arguing that it's not more of a port than a remake and you gave me pics of an emulated version with updated textures...? Come back to me when you have legitimate comparisons.

I always said it was more of a port retextured than a real remake.
That's why I'm comparing it with the original one with high-res textures.

You don't like the quality of my pictures, ok, find better pictures, I dare you, I double dare you motherfucker

That's one part that I already said that changed.
So they just HAPPENED to decide to change ONLY a few parts massively, in every way imaginable? I see. I'm sure that's EXACTLY what happened.
/sarcasm
Almost everything in original Zelda with high-res textures look better than 3DS version.
The 3D models in OOT for 3DS were re-done, the boots are now equipable itens, and some parts were changed for 3D models(hyrule town and horse's room),
but everything else is re-texturing.
Except that all the hi-res photos you show have no advantage over the 3DS counterparts, aside from a much higher resolution than the 3DS. Look at those high-res textures. They still look much blockier and mostly much less detailed than the 3DS version.

At any rate, this doesn't disprove the 3DS version being a remake of the original N64 version. If anything, you comparing a hi-res texture set of the original to the 3DS version only PROVES that the 3DS version is a remake, since the hi-res version looks near identical to the original except in higher resolution, whereas the 3DS version doesn't.

What is a remake?
re-make, make again, make the game from nothing.
Totally different from getting the same game, remodel some things, apply high-res textures and call it a remake.
It's not a remake, it's a enchanced port

"I double dare you motherfucker"

tysonreaction.gif

Consider you're arguing that it's closer to a port than a remake, the burden of proof is on you. I'm waiting.

I showed screenshots of OOT retextured that looks much better than OOT 3D.
I repeat again: same game with some remodeling and retexturing is not a remake.
remake is to make again from zero point.
That's what re prefix stands for

Since you guys love to argue semantics:

A video game remake is a game closely adapted from an earlier title, usually for the purpose of modernizing a game for newer hardware and contemporary audiences. Typically, a remake shares essentially the same title, fundamental gameplay concepts, and story elements of the original game. Changes usually involve superficial graphical enhancements, but may also include substantial gameplay changes and expanded content.

OOT3D is a remake. Those HD Collections Guild mentioned are remastered ports.

Where is the source of that comment?

@[member='xwatchmanx']: Not to mention the improved framerate (15-20FPS to 30FPS).

On the note of Ocarina of Time 3D, if your remake is practically indistinguishable from a port, then it's a bad remake. I mean they get the opportunity to rebuild the entire game and instead of fixing the issues with it (yes there are several issues with OoT, something age brings around like loose bowels or lack of teeth) they remake it brick for brick. It just shows a squandered opportunity.

I have to say those high res textures look better and rather damn sexy for a game THAT old.
I don't think your input is really needed since you haven't even played the game to judge it fairly. Go to the Vita forum or something. ;)

The fact that guild didn't play the game doesn't make him unable to judge which screenshot looks better.
It's obvious the game is just an enchanced port.
There are plenty of real remakes out there, if you have such hard time finding the difference I'll show you.

Teenage Muttant Ninja Turtles

SNES - PS3
tmnt1.jpg

or Final Fantasy 3

NES - DS

finalfantasyt1.jpg

EarthWorm Jim

SNES - PS3

0.jpg

Earthworm-Jim-HD-03.jpg

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Port every game, for all I care. As long as we're getting new content, I'm cool. It would be cool if they let another team, possibly a second party or even a third party team just port everything they've made in the past to the console. Just throw every GC/Wii/DS/GBA/SNES/N64/etc game on there, call it Virtual Console, and I'll be happy.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Port every game, for all I care. As long as we're getting new content, I'm cool. It would be cool if they let another team, possibly a second party or even a third party team just port everything they've made in the past to the console. Just throw every GC/Wii/DS/GBA/SNES/N64/etc game on there, call it Virtual Console, and I'll be happy.

But... a port isn't new content.

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I actually meant along side it, not as part of the port. Let me clarify -

Port every game, ever. I don't care. So long as we're receiving new titles as well.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Port every game, ever. I don't care. So long as we're receiving new titles as well.

Oh, I got it now. Sorry for haggling you.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States

That's pretty much exactly how I feel. Hire as many teams as needed to secure the rights to as many emulations/ports of games for legacy Nintendo systems as possible and put 'em out as the most complete virtual console possible, while letting the rest of Nintendo work on new stuff.

Do that (and do the same thing for handheld systems on the 3DS) and I swear, I'll give up "free"/pirated emulation for good. That's how happy I'll be.

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Guild
It's quite alright, I didn't realize how confusing I made it sound until you mentioned it.

I'd preferably like to see all of Nintendo's past games as digital downloads, but I'd also love to see new games from new developers. Platinum Games developing original content for the WiiU is great. I'd love to see more of it. I can understand why some would want direct ports of big name titles, like the older Assassin's Creed titles, Mass Effect 2, etc, and I'm all for it, as long as it doesn't take away from the same people publishing new content on any system. I'd rather one giant company do solely porting so that it frees up others to make new games.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I can understand why some would want direct ports of big name titles, like the older Assassin's Creed titles, Mass Effect 2, etc, and I'm all for it, as long as it doesn't take away from the same people publishing new content on any system.
I think it won't be a problem as long as it doesn't start massively happening for a couple years, once the Wii U has a more solid library built up. Maybe a bunch of these old games in franchises that weren't available on Nintendo systems before the Wii U will start showing up in collections. Perhaps all 4 past Assassin's Creed titles will show up in a boxed set, or else individually as digital downloads on the Wii U eShop. Just as an example.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

The fact that you can possibly judge the CONTROLS of all things without having ever played it baffles the hell out of me.

You already said that, and he doesn't changed his mind.
Unless you have something other than that, and that wasn't said earlier, relevant, and that need the game to be played,
there is nothing that shows the necessity of him to have played the game.

Stop dodging the question. I didn't ask you the technical definition and root of the prefix "re," but the definition of a video game remake from a reputable source. And SoulX already posted at least one quote that says you're wrong.

What's soulx trustable source, there is no link to anything,
or even something saying the one who originally said that.
Without any of these this is the same as none

Because you said port initially, you didn't say "enhanced port." The two words mean different things. Also, "partial remake" is synonymous with "enhanced port," according to Wikipedia. So having the word "port" in the name means nothing. It's likely a merger of the two, as I said in one of my earliest posts on this topic.

I tought it was obvious that when I said
port with retexture it meaned the same as enchanced port

-

The fact that guild didn't play the game doesn't make him unable to judge which screenshot looks better.
There are plenty of real remakes out there, if you have such hard time finding the difference I'll show you.

SNES - PS3
tmnt1.jpg

or Final Fantasy 3

NES - DS

finalfantasyt1.jpg

EarthWorm Jim

SNES - PS3

0.jpg

Earthworm-Jim-HD-03.jpg
Are you stupid or are you just stupid? I'm comparing OOT 3D to the original N64 OOT (because you said it was closer to a port than a remake).

Why are you bringing up higher resolution emulated re-texture pics then? I'm still waiting for a legitimate comparison where the 3DS pics aren't oversized and the game being compared is not an emulated retextured version.

Did you forget who started this discussion?!
This has started when I said that OOT looks more like a port with retextures,
and to show how much this is closer to a port than a remake I showed you
the original game, with high-res textures, that made it look even better than 3DS version.
Proving then that 80% of these "changes" could be done on the original game.

No. Or else none of the remakes you mentioned are indeed remakes. They all started from somewhere.

From art concepts, and previous level designs.
But the source code is made from zero point, that's the diference between a remake and a enchanced port.

D

Deleted_171835

You already said that, and he doesn't changed his mind.
Unless you have something other than that, and that wasn't said earlier, relevant, and that need the game to be played,
there is nothing that shows the necessity of him to have played the game.

What's soulx trustable source, there is no link to anything,
or even something saying the one who originally said that.
Without any of these this is the same as none

I tought it was obvious that when I said
port with retexture it meaned the same as enchanced port

-

SNES - PS3
tmnt1.jpg

or Final Fantasy 3

NES - DS

finalfantasyt1.jpg

EarthWorm Jim

SNES - PS3

0.jpg

Earthworm-Jim-HD-03.jpg
Are you stupid or are you just stupid? I'm comparing OOT 3D to the original N64 OOT (because you said it was closer to a port than a remake).

Why are you bringing up higher resolution emulated re-texture pics then? I'm still waiting for a legitimate comparison where the 3DS pics aren't oversized and the game being compared is not an emulated retextured version.

Did you forget who started this discussion?!
This has started when I said that OOT looks more like a port with retextures,
and to show how much this is closer to a port than a remake I showed you
the original game, with high-res textures, that made it look even better than 3DS version.
Proving then that 80% of these "changes" could be done on the original game.

No. Or else none of the remakes you mentioned are indeed remakes. They all started from somewhere.

From art concepts, and previous level designs.
But the source code is made from zero point, that's the diference between a remake and a enchanced port.
OOT 3D is more like a port with hi-res textures.
There are just few parts that were actually remade

That's what started the argument. Bringing up emulated re-textured versions of the game makes no sense. If you really want to prove your point, give me some N64->3DS comparisons.

Please oh knowledgeable VMM, tell me how you know the source code from those games started from nothing.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I would love to see Skyrim ported. That was such a great game. It be cool if they also ported Wii titles in HD.
I haven't played Skyrim, but from what I've seen of it, I can imagine it would really benefit from the gamepad. Optional motion controls with the Wiimote Plus and nunchuck would be amazing too...
Hey, I can dream, right?

Reactions: 4 people

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
It be cool if they also ported Wii titles in HD.
What would be REALLY cool is if the Wii U's backwards compatibility mode were to have the GPU automatically upscale to whatever HD resolution was in the system settings.
If not, they could always just try and see how many Wii titles they can cram into a 25-50gb WiiU disk.
shovelware_2.jpg
Which would also be cool.

(Forgive me if I'm repeating myself. Typing that out kinda gave me Deja Vu.)

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
What would be REALLY cool is if the Wii U's backwards compatibility mode were to have the GPU automatically upscale to whatever HD resolution was in the system settings.
If not, they could always just try and see how many Wii titles they can cram into a 25-50gb WiiU disk.
shovelware_2.jpg
Which would also be cool.

(Forgive me if I'm repeating myself. Typing that out kinda gave me Deja Vu.)
I still don't understand why Reggie said that "wouldn't be possible without remaking the Wii game as a Wii U game," when that's clearly false.
Maybe to make more money re-releasing HD versions of Wii titles later?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Now go take a shower @BakerMan . Phew +1