Gaming Games That Need Porting

D

Deleted_171835

I still don't understand why Reggie said that "wouldn't be possible without remaking the Wii game as a Wii U game," when that's clearly false.
Maybe to make more money re-releasing HD versions of Wii titles later?
That's because it requires emulation to render the game at a higher resolution while the Wii U's backwards compatibility with the Wii isn't emulation.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
I still don't understand why Reggie said that "wouldn't be possible without remaking the Wii game as a Wii U game," when that's clearly false.
Maybe to make more money re-releasing HD versions of Wii titles later?
That's because it requires emulation to render the game at a higher resolution while the Wii U's backwards compatibility with the Wii isn't emulation.
Yeah, I think it would require something in the GPU itself which would be a lot of expensive work so I doubt it was done.
I'm sure if it ever get's hacked, there could be something similar to the widescreen hack for GC that could do it but the HUD would probably be all in the wrong place.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I see.

Yeah, I think it would require something in the GPU itself which would be a lot of expensive work so I doubt it was done.
I'm sure if it ever get's hacked, there could be something similar to the widescreen hack for GC that could do it but the HUD would probably be all in the wrong place.
Why would the HUD be in the wrong place if all Wii games have native widescreen capability?

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Why would the HUD be in the wrong place if all Wii games have native widescreen capability?
It depends on how they programmed it. They probably just told it to put the images so many pixels to the right and so many pixels down from the top left corner (or some other point of reference) but the screen is now many pixels bigger so that wouldn't necessarily work. If they were 3D rendered, though, instead of just 2D drawn on top of the existing image, they'll probably be fine.

EDIT : I just sited GC widescreen as an example since the GC game is not expecting the screen to be so WIDE and the HUD doesn't adjust.
0.jpg
With Wii games in HD the screen would be both WIDER and TALLER so a similar error could occur.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
It depends on how they programmed it. They probably just told it to put the images so many pixels to the right and so many pixels down from the top left corner (or some other point of reference) but the screen is now many pixels bigger so that wouldn't necessarily work. If they were 3D rendered, though, instead of just 2D drawn on top of the existing image, they'll probably be fine.

EDIT : I just sited GC widescreen as an example since the GC game is not expecting the screen to be so WIDE and the HUD doesn't adjust.
0.jpg
With Wii games in HD the screen would be both WIDER and TALLER so a similar error could occur.
Thank God for Metroid Prime Trilogy. That Hud is abysmal.

zanfire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ports and HD remakes....eh dont care too much about them more often then not. And to say it can't hurt to have them...well look at what the PSVita is mostly made up of and how well thats going (i own one and i barely touch it) I never had much to say about the remakes/ports until PSV honestly.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im just going to come in here and say that its pretty sad that a new console's life is started and one of the first threads to appear about it is, "games that need to be ported". What kind of life is that going to lead to? Huh, why buy a Wii U if i can just play those games... Now lol.

Reactions: 2 people

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Thread re-opened. Keep on topic. Hell, I don't even care of you discuss the differences between a port and a remake, but once you start smearing a member of this forum through the mud, so to speak, I have a problem with that. Don't let it happen again.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Thread re-opened. Keep on topic. Hell, I don't even care of you discuss the differences between a port and a remake, but once you start dragging a member of this forum through the mud, so to speak, I have a problem with that. Don't let it happen again.

Reactions: 5 people

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never liked Minecraft so it doesnt matter to me. For the porting, I rather a brand new games rather than porting because more porting can lead Wii U downhill easily. It is better to make a new game to increase Wii U's popularly. I rather to focus on 3rd party for Wii U before I can buy it. Right now, I am not going to buy it just yet.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Couldn't minecraft just as well be ported to the Wii? It doesn't seem like it would be that taxing on system requirements.

Speaking of Java programs, though. What would really be cool would be a Java VM port. That way you could run Minecraft and a whole bunch of other stuff on your console.
That, just like HTML5, I'm sure they'd consider a homebrew security risk so it probably won't happen but it would be nice.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Couldn't minecraft just as well be ported to the Wii? It doesn't seem like it would be that taxing on system requirements.

Speaking of Java programs, though. What would really be cool would be a Java VM port. That way you could run Minecraft and a whole bunch of other stuff on your console.
That, just like HTML5, I'm sure they'd consider a homebrew security risk so it probably won't happen but it would be nice.
Oh it is. The large open worlds require a lot of GPU power and RAM.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh it is. The large open worlds require a lot of GPU power and RAM.
ok, yeah. especially the RAM argument I hadn't really thought about.

You should check out the DS version, its an amazing achievement. How they managed to fit so much of the game into 4MB's I will never know.

Reactions: 1 person

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you know what I would love, a Monster Hunter collection on the Wii U, I mean, MH kinda has the Pokemon route (The games just improve each sequel so theres no real point in remaking or porting them) but I think the Portable titles and Frontier would be nice to see, especially since Portable is what made the game so popular in Japan.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 90K it's fine lol