Homebrew Emulation GameYob, a gameboy emulator for DS

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
lps wasn't using dsi-mode, your error is actually the same as matando's. Anyway, like I said yesterday I made a test version which goes through each step of loading a rom. If you could try it out that would be great. Download it here. Press A to proceed whenever it pauses.

Edit: Also I disabled sound for good measure since it was causing problems before. If sound caused the crash then it should run anyway.
I just tried it, thank you.
I get :
Code:
File chooser exited successfully
Will open "game.gbc"
Bios wasn't found.
Rom file opened successfully.
Rom loaded. Will begin loading s
ave...
MMU initialized.
CPU initialized.
LCD & Timers initialized.
GFX initialized.
Sound initialized.

And then.....the red screen of death LOL ;)

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
I just tried it, thank you.
I get :
Code:
File chooser exited successfully
Will open "game.gbc"
Bios wasn't found.
Rom file opened successfully.
Rom loaded. Will begin loading s
ave...
MMU initialized.
CPU initialized.
LCD & Timers initialized.
GFX initialized.
Sound initialized.

And then.....the red screen of death LOL ;)
Same exact thing here.
(I did have a bios though, and it was recognized)

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Damn. "Sound initialized" was my last print statement. Okay, try this one. I disabled a speed hack and set it to print some rom info when starting.

Snailface

Trophies
XP
Damn. "Sound initialized" was my last print statement. Okay, try this one. I disabled a speed hack and set it to print some rom info when starting.
Rom title: "shantae"
Cartridge type: 1b (mbc5)
rom size (07) 256 banks
ram size: 02 (1 banks)

Press A then same libnds crash screen.

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Rom title: "shantae"
rom size (07) 256 banks
ram size: 02 (1 banks)

Press A then same libnds crash screen.
This is my last-ditch attempt for today. Its functionality is absolutely crippled but I just want to know if it still crashes or not. If it still does, can you tell me the value of "lr" on the crash screen - is it always "00000080"?

Matando

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Test2:
Rom Title: "POKEMON YELLOW"
Rom Size: 05 (64kb)
RamSize: 03 (4 banks)

Test 3:
lr = 00000080
:(

*edit* in "timers.cpp" could line #4 be the problem, since the dsi clock speed is double the ds clock speed since its in dsi mode?

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
This is my last-ditch attempt for today. Its functionality is absolutely crippled but I just want to know if it still crashes or not. If it still does, can you tell me the value of "lr" on the crash screen - is it always "00000080"?
I tried it ( last attempt for me tonight as well ) , something flashes on the screen ( one line, but I wasn't able to read it ) and then straight to the guru meditation error......mhmm..

Oh yeah, I forgot...
lr : 00000080

same here

Snailface

Trophies
XP
Test2:

Test 3:
lr = 00000080

*edit* in "timers.cpp" could line #4 be the problem, since the dsi clock speed is double the ds clock speed since its in dsi mode?
Same, got the lr=00000080 as well.
edit: Its actually the same with the bios on second check.

Kouen Hasuki

Coffee Addict
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Warioland 3 works great now!

Pokemon Diamond (the bootleg) has an interesting bug for you, try to boot it (with gba bios) and after the initial gameboy sound it will kill all sound for the emulator even changing roms to fix you actually have to reset the whole DS xD

Diablo Beta:
With GBC Bios wont start, Without GBC Bios:
ZEMciNg.jpg

Mortal Kombat 4: Cant see in game gets stuck with a solid color covering everything during the fight, After skipping from that rom to another sound glitches. Are the sound buffers being flushed fully when you change roms? or maybe it should be set to fully reinitialise the sound when changing

Mortal Kombat 1 & 2: Cant Pick a game just restarts the rom instead

Normmatt

Former AKAIO Programmer
Trophies
Website
normmatt.com
XP
Country
New Zealand

Pokemon Diamond (the bootleg) has an interesting bug for you, try to boot it (with gba bios) and after the initial gameboy sound it will kill all sound for the emulator even changing roms to fix you actually have to reset the whole DS xD

Diablo Beta:
With GBA Bios wont start, Without GBA Bios:
ZEMciNg.jpg

Mortal Kombat 4: Cant see in game gets stuck with a solid color covering everything during the fight, After skipping from that rom to another sound glitches. Are the sound buffers being flushed fully when you change roms? or maybe it should be set to fully reinitialise the sound when changing

Keywords being GBA BIOS. this isn't a GBA emulator dude. use a GBC BIOS.

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Test2:

Test 3:
lr = 00000080

That's good to know, but I actually commented out a lot of code in that last test including the code which uses timer.cpp.
I tried it ( last attempt for me tonight as well ) , something flashes on the screen ( one line, but I wasn't able to read it ) and then straight to the guru meditation error......mhmm..

Oh yeah, I forgot...
lr : 00000080

same here
I enabled the debug output by default, so that was probably a line saying it couldn't open the save file.

I'll... keep thinking.

Diablo Beta:
With GBC Bios wont start, Without GBC Bios:
-snip-

Mortal Kombat 1 & 2: Cant Pick a game just restarts the rom instead
Pokemon Diamond kills the arm7. God Dangit. Workaround: Disable sound before the game starts. Re-enable after the titlescreen.
If I recall, Mortal Kombat 1&2 didn't work in lameboy until nutki fixed the "STOP" opcode. So I have an idea where to look. EDIT: nevermind, that was Konami Collection 1&2.
I can confirm Mortal Combat 4 is basically unplayable. However I couldn't reproduce the sound bug you mentioned.
Diablo works just fine for me, with bios and all. Maybe try running it in bgb? It'll tell you if the header checksum is wrong, in which case it wouldn't get past the bios. The checksum is correct in my copy.
Could you implement MBC7? If you do implement it, could you make it so the touchscreen controls the tilt values?
Last I checked I couldn't find any documentation for mbc7. But it's a cool enough idea that I might study another emulator's code if necessary. At some point.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Sorry, I didn't mean to derail your project and work even harder to make it work for a handful of us with homebrew capable DSi.
It seems that you already have your hands full with much more important issues, but I think it's awfully nice of you to try to make it work in DSi mode even though you don't own one !
Thanks again, and keep up the good work, it is very much appreciated :bow:.

Reactions: VatoLoco

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sorry, I didn't mean to derail your project and work even harder to make it work for a handful of us with homebrew capable DSi.
It seems that you already have your hands full with much more important issues, but I think it's awfully nice of you to try to make it work in DSi mode even though you don't own one !
Thanks again, and keep up the good work, it is very much appreciated :bow:.
It hasn't been derailed by any means. At least not yet. Here, try this one. I removed my arm7 code entirely and replaced it with the default arm7. Also I commented out a few more things. Actually, I haven't been changing the link, just the contents... so all my other links are pointing to my latest attempt.

Edit: Out of curiosity, is it common for ds homebrew to have issues in dsi mode?

Snailface

Trophies
XP
It hasn't been derailed by any means. At least not yet. Here, try this one. I removed my arm7 code entirely and replaced it with the default arm7. Also I commented out a few more things. Actually, I haven't been changing the link, just the contents... so all my other links are pointing to my latest attempt.

Edit: Out of curiosity, is it common for ds homebrew to have issues in dsi mode?
Same result.
pc:FFFF0260
lr:00000080
Aladdin

And no unusual problems with ds homebew in dsi mode, but I've never debugged a homebrew this complex before.

jerbear64

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This emulator is amazing. Lameboy wouldn't keep my R/B/Y saves, but this emulator does. Meaning I can catch MISSINGNO. without having to play the game for 10 hours straight. :lol:

Here's some compatibility tests:
Robocop has graphics errors in the cutscenes and runs at about 57 FPS. Gameplay itself doesn't seem to be affected.

Robocop 2 will play some lagged music and then crash at a white screen.

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
A lot of Blargg's sound tests are failing right now. I've tried improving on that a little, see the latest pull request from my correctness branch. The 1st sound test ROM now passes, but the rest is a train wreck. That points to a systemic failure with your sound handling.

Ed: All OAM bug tests and all memory timing tests are also failing, but maybe that's less meaningful for games. Sound tests are more crucial. The "non-OAM-bug tests", which test for the OAM bug not appearing in certain non-causing circumstances, pass, by the way.

Ed 2: Should we start using GitHub's issue tracking for these bugs? :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: wait +1