Gaming is Dead, and Here's Why

JaapDaniels

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
gamers want innovations but not the kind the industry gives us! we gamers don't need 4kHD to feel the adrenaline in a race or shooting game... we need adrenaline in the game! so the game itself need to be an adventure, the controller must fit the game... no one realle needs better graphics if the game has nothing to get my mind set... yes it was better in the 90's then the game industry and gamers spoke the same language, they lost this... althought Nintendo did try to listen (boy that's working out great now with philips... finaly in 15 years a console and the games and the controllers al working together to get me a new experience... and there you have it... philips is distroying the only good console in 15 years)...
pacman was great, not for the graphics, but it gave me a reason to go the extra mile! this aplies to tetris, mario, sonic, pong... yes i know not everyone knows these games because they look old... play them once and you'll still get addicted.
visual games look great and meke you wanna buy for wat you see on the cover, but you'll only play it twice.
a game needs to be nearly impossible, needs to feel like you can be a winner... games need to be simple at the same time (at least for our male gamers, like me) i mean'you'll need a clear vision for what needs to be done to finnish the level you're playing.
last thing i miss, i know it's hard to hear but games like "the punnisher" were great for you could be the bad boy, the worst one andstilldo nothing wrong to noone in real life.
i haven't seen many games that were great in years! all great industies for pc were bought by EA, and the distroyed it by cancelling all games in progress (like dungeon keeper 3 (i'm still waiting!), need for speed (i mean the great ones the last one was Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2005) not the fake one called the same name sold now a days).
i like adventures and detectives, thought i found one called NCIS, wel this was really something.... doing a DNA test on a photo????
really if the game is in the real world, keep the story real, if it'sfantasy, let your mind go!
please gimme monkey Island 5 by lucas arts (not the rip of by tell a tale), dungeon keeper 3 by bullfrog, pong with a story, tetris with evolution like story, killer instinct 3, carmagedon 3, the punnisher 2, stunts 2, hot rod 3...
you'll get the picture i think.
as for online... i don't see the extra, never did... except for achivements in steam! my friends se my latest score in our common games, this means war...
fun war

Reactions: NakedFaerie

Hyro-Sama

I'm from the fucking future.
Trophies
XP
Country
Nintendo 64 the best console ever. Can't even handle its swag. Donkey Kong 64 is the shit. Better than gay PS1. Get on my level, bitch. #Hardcore #SwagOverload #Nintendo4lyfe #Marioislove

Reactions: BlackWizzard17

NakedFaerie

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia
Last post about this.
If anything is going to kill gaming is mobile games. Not 3DS or Vita I'm talking about stupid little IAP games like iPhone and Android games. Those addictive games you play on the bus to school or on the train to work. those pathetic free to play but high priced stupid In App Purchases games. they totally suck and they are ruining gaming for all of us. And Freemium games (I hate that word) are the worst. Where is costs $100+ for in game credits or clothes or something stupid like that.
Even good mobile games suck as you need a controller to really play. The only good mobile games I've played are the car games as tilt is a good car controller but FPS are stupid as you cant feel the buttons as there are none.

So is consoles killing games? no. Are gamers with DLC killing games? no but they are making them more expensive by paying for stupidly priced DLC. Are mobile games killing games? YES! Along with IAP. (In App Purchases)

These days to be a gamer is many things but a true hardcore gamer is the old type of gamer. Someone that sits in front of a screen with a controller (or keyboard and mouse) and plays games not a bus sitting, phone holding, money wasting moron.

I'm an real hardcore gamer. I have multiple monitors, multiple consoles, countless games and a huge pile of games unfinished that "I'll finished it one day" keeps coming to mind. (I do finish about 90% of games I start)
When I say "The PC version looks heaps better than the PS3 version" you know I'm looking at both side by side and can see which is better. Not like seeing a youtube video and run to the other room and see it on the big TV.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"The Lack of Innovation in the Current Generation"

Here's the thing, innovation doesn't sell. It's not that there's no innovation, it's because we don't buy it. MattPat from GameTheory does a great video on the subject.

Nintendo has at least tried to do something new, or fresh with their system and IPs. Any they've only been reinventing the gaming wheel since the beginning. Some things worked (The Wii, the Gameboy, 3DS), and some things didn't (Virtual Boy, N64, and blah).

Sure, sequels make their franchises. Nintendo makes full use of them. But all the numbers point to the fact that "fresh and new" doesn't sell. You want innovation, go buy a WiiU. It does something all the other consoles don't, and despite the similarities to a tablet, it is not a tablet. If that's not the definition of trying to innovate, you're perspective is a little twisted.

If Nintendo hadn't added more power, you'd be hearing no end to the complaints. The truth is, the system has plenty of power, but Nintendo don't make anything easy for the third party developers. They're stuck in their own self-absorbed world of 'innovation' that they can't keep up with the times. This is a perfect example of where the desire to innovate impedes progress.

"...The Last of Us..."

The Last of Us? Innovative? Hahahaha, that's not true in the slightest. What we see and what we get is a new IP that took the survival aspects of games like "I Am Alive" and sound based stealth systems of previous games and applied them to a big-budget production. It did what it did very well, but innovative is the last thing I think of.

The Elder Scrolls is another game where innovation is not the name of the game. I love TES, but it's the same game every time. Which is what I want! There's no need to innovate because I don't play TES for anything but the world and immersion.

In the current market, games that are advertised as innovative and new are bold faced lies designed to get you behind them and mask their inspirations.

"Sequels and Ports – No, Please Not Another One!"

We're at a transitional phase in gaming where we're torn between the likes of the PS360Wii and the PS4ONE. The ports are a good thing because they're low risk cash ins that also happen to let developers get to know the systems with little risk. If Nintendo were smart, they'd hurry up and release an amazing first party title, and clean up their act with third part developers.

"Price – Why Would I Throw THAT Much For This?!"

The price is the one place where I cannot blame them. Unless your console physically ruins itself, how often are you going to drop five hundred onto the hardware? In a perfect world, once. The consoles are in it for the long run, so price here is simply once versus a PC which you need to upgrade to keep with the games you want.

The Plague of DLC and Microtransactions"

DLC? Now I think you're nitpicking a bit. I'm fine with DLC like cosmetics and micro-transactions for the weak willed individual. Sure, there are too many games out there that don't give any meaningful DLC, but the ones that do are also the ones that get my money. Don't like it, don't play it. Vote with your wallet and these companies will get a hint.

"Big Gaming Conventions Are a Thing of the Past"

While I've never gone to a gaming convention, I don't think this particular argument holds much water. E3 and the like aren't going anywhere. We might see more Nintendo Directs and things instead, but we won't see E3 going anywhere. It's too much of a publicity stunt to just up and leave.

"Developers – You Need to Focus on US!"

I've never seen the issue with Digital Downloads. It's more convenient, and if you want a memento, go get the limited edition game they always have. I much prefer my console games to have a physical copy, but PC hasn't even registered on my radar since Gamestop limited their physical selection to like two shelves.

"PC Gaming and Mobile Gaming"

Flappy Bird is an anomaly of the internet (like potato salad kickstarter). It became a hit when famous Youtubers put it in the spotlight and not because it was anything special. Mobile gaming as a whole is just catering to a different demographic. In fact, you're specifically contributing to the perceived problem by encouraging the shift in the spectrum dynamic.

You're right that gaming is on the decline, but it's not the fault of the industry, it's the fault of us. Maybe you're at the point where all of us will be? A point where time is better spent doing something else to make your life better. It's a shift in priorities. As us gamers get older, we tend to make better decisions on how we spend our time.

All you've gotta do is find that one game to rekindle your passion. It might not happen, but if the world ran on 'mights' we'd be fucking DOOMED LIKE NINTENDO!

GiantSapling

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've felt the same way since the last generation - I mean the last game I managed to bring myself to complete was Halo 3 (which ofc had DLC).I'd rather just waste $5 on a 30 minute game for ios at this point. That way I get to feel like I spent my money on SOMETHING at least.

Social_Outlaw

G.B.A.T.e.m.p T.e.m.p.l.a.r K.n.i.g.h.t
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
1. Console gaming isn't dead, It's just not a primary source no more just like Physical releases. When 7th gen consoles first came out, many people were buying it, but as soon as smartphones came, things started to change. Consoles isn't going to sell like they use to because smartphones can do the half the things that consoles can do on your hand, for once the smartphone can pull off with graphics, and videos all with a simple touch. Also in addition we have stupid games like Flappy bird, and people make thousands, and millions, but I actually look at a good way because these stupid games just give us time to waste if something takes to long.

2. The PS3 price was originally $600, and the Xbox360 was $399 so what did you expect when 8th gen consoles came out? People was still buying them at that price, so I don't think that's really an Issue any more. Also everyone knows that consoles prices has been up to par with PC'S lately so really it shouldn't be a problem.

3. Now I agree on what you say saying about DLC and Microtransactions. I really wouldn't care if it was on a phone, but to have it on a console? That really defeats the purpose. Sure we get a few additional items, but why should it the cost more? It's already in the game, which make it worse, so why should I pay? I rather keep it original like beating a hard ass level, unlock, and feel like a boss in the end like every gamer use to do.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are people such whiny bitches that they care more about "innovation" than "good games"? Every game took an aspect from another game at one time or another.

Like The Last of Us is probably one of the better games ever made, "innovative" or not. Are we going to complain that it's "not innovative" despite the fact it was masterful?

Reactions: TyBlood13

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are people such whiny bitches that they care more about "innovation" than "good games"? Every game took an aspect from another game at one time or another.

Like The Last of Us is probably one of the better games ever made, "innovative" or not. Are we going to complain that it's "not innovative" despite the fact it was masterful?

Dude, I was pointing out the fact that it wasn't innovative despite his post saying otherwise. You can't complain about a lack of innovation and then point to gaming done right and say it was innovative. That being said, I think the Last of Us tries really hard to cover up its flaws, it definitely doesn't deserve your, "...one of the better games ever made..." remark.

LadyHylia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How can someone say Gaming is Dead when the economy is making so much money of the systems and the sales? I'm not good with numbers but it speaks for itself in the communities and the love ppl have for gaming wether it's online or offline. It's a huge part of our culture now and it's only going to get stronger.
<3 always a gamer

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
How can someone say Gaming is Dead when the economy is making so much money of the systems and the sales?
Two things:
1. The 'gaming is dead' is more to be read as 'gaming as I like it is dead/dying'. It's undeniably evolving, and while many disagree, those disagreements don't very much counter the arguments for it.
2. it sure is a huge economy, but the sales figures don't exactly reflect a healthy situation. Consoles are sold below construction costs, games quickly lose their value and more than a few gaming studios either go bankrupt or are forced into merging with other teams to stay afloat.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Usually when such a big title leaks the Temp will be the first to report about it (going off of historical reports here, Pokemon SV being the latest one I can recall seeing pop up here)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I still like how a freaking mp3 file hacks webos all that security defeated by text yet again
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They have simulators for everything nowdays, cray cray. How about a sim that shows you playing the Switch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's called yuzu
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I want a 120hz 4k tv but crazy how more expensive the 120hz over the 60hz are. Or even more crazy is the price of 8k's.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No real point since movies are 30fps
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not a big movie buff, more of a gamer tbh. And Series X is 120hz 8k ready, but yea only 120hz 4k games out right now, but thinking of in the future.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mostly why you never see TV manufacturers going post 60hz
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I only watch tv when i goto bed, it puts me to sleep, and I have a nas drive filled w my fav shows so i can watch them in order, commercial free. I usually watch Married w Children, or South Park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stremio ruined my need for nas
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I stream from Nas to firestick, one on every tv, and use Kodi. I'm happy w it, plays everything. (I pirate/torrent shows/movies on pc, and put on nas)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kodi repost are still pretty popular
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What the hell is Kodi reposts? what do you mean, or "Wut?" -xdqwerty
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Google them basically web crawlers to movie sites
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    oh you mean the 3rd party apps on Kodi, yea i know what you mean, yea there are still a few cool ones, in fact watched the new planet of the apes movie other night w wifey thru one, was good pic surprisingly, not a cam
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, only $2.06 and free shipping. Gotta cost more for them to ship than $2.06
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I got my Dad a firestick for Xmas and showed him those 3rd party sites on Kodi, he loves it, all he watches anymore. He said he has got 3 letters from AT&T already about pirating, but he says f them, let them shut my internet off (He wants out of his AT&T contract anyways)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's where stremio comes to play never got a letter about it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just use a VPN, even give him my login and password so can use it also, and he refuses, he's funny.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had to find and get him an old style flip phone even without text, cause thats what he wanted. No text, no internet, only phone calls. Old, old school.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @BigOnYa, Lol I bought a new USB card reader thing on AliExpress last month for I think like 87 cents. Free shipping from China... It arrived it works and honestly I don't understand how it was so cheap.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @BigOnYa, Lol I bought a new USB card reader thing on AliExpress last month for I think like 87...