Gary Bowser has been sentenced to 3+ years in prison

k0Bb6AesS5-Jr1Q66F8-wd0iGuiT1aRvMpT0Msokn_o.jpg

After being indicted in 2020, Gary Bowser's trial is finally over, and he has been sentenced to 3+ years in prison. Bowser was facing eleven felony charges as the public face of Team Xexuter, estimated by the U.S. government to have cost the videogame industry between $65 million and $150 million by facilitating piracy. Bowser pled guilty to charges of trafficking in circumvention devices and conspiracy to circumvent technological measures in November, agreeing to pay $4.5 million in fines, but was also ordered to pay another $10 million to Nintendo in a civil case.

"This is not a victimless crime. The leaders of this multimillion-dollar scheme are responsible for diverting money from creative professionals who have worked hard to provide unique products and experiences,” said Special Agent in Charge (SAC) Robert Hammer. Another Special Agent in Charge, Donald M. Voiret, is quoted saying "he also wasted the efforts of legitimate companies as they attempted to build protections for their products.”

Last week, the prosecution announced they were seeking a five-year sentence, while the defense only wanted nineteen months. Bowser has been detained since October 2020 as he was not able to secure pretrial release, so, assuming he serves his full 3+ year sentence, he will have actually been detained for closer to four and a half years.

:arrow: Source

petspeed

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
This is insane. I mean off course he should be punished for his crimes but this will completely ruin his life. He will be bankrupt when he is a free man again in 3+ years with no chance to get back on his feet again.

Reactions: Donnie-Burger

Kirby6417

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not a lot of people in this thread giving Gary much respect. He’s a human with a brain, he knew he was breaking the law and profiting off it. He knew he could get busted. Let’s respect the guy’s autonomy and not act like he’s an unwitting victim of circumstance.

It’s a two-sided conversation obviously and yes the punishment is too harsh. Anyway I think piracy was theoretically solved by gaben years and years ago when he said it was just a matter of convenience/accessibility. For the most part, I think that describes why people pirate… we’re actually totally willing to pay money for things, so just make them easy to buy/use and we’ll do it.

BeniBel

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I had a great run with my sxos, got it when it first released and haven't bought a single switch game on that switch ever since. Everyone I know who also gotten sxos is the same. So yes, sxos (and other hacks) did cut into Nintendo's sales, I don't think the majority of people do buy the games they like if they can get it for free. Did Nintendo lose as much as they claim though? Most likely not, piracy isn't wide spread enough for that.

Gary knew he was taking great risks, making a profit from piracy. I think it's a reasonable sentence. Don't do the crime, if you can't spend the time.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
So...how's that "America, land of the free" slogan holding up now? Shouldn't we change it to "America, land of the corporate ruling class"? :creep:

As many others, I don't see the point of both a (hefty) fine and a prison sentence. I have no idea how succesfull team xexutor was, but 4.5 million bucks sure seems like a lot.

But the prison sentence is just...dumb. Seems like he's now surrounded with people who have even LESS moral obligations toward software piracy than the average person.

...okay, that's a bit of a projection on my behalf, but I honestly can't picture drug dealers, shoplifters, thugs and other locked criminals lecturing Gary on what a monster he is for denying nintendo creative income from potential (sorry: "potential") customers.

I mean...can you picture this?
criminal.jpg

relauby

Idiot Child
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes to be honest he will probably only be in there for half the time plus he still has millions of dollars in revenue dudes set. Also probably gonna be some Netflix documentary about it because it hasn’t happened to this extent before
According to documents provided in discovery, he only made $320,000 in the seven years he worked for Team Xecuter.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Classic rock singer, has his own band called Steve miller band, with hits like "The joker" or...