Gateway 3DS, News and Information

Mementos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
But there's no guarantee. Also, why didn't they delay the launch to put in the additional effort to make it work?
If asked them the same question, some time ago, related to other features. They where honest and answered:

We are honest, and this feature, like othes, will be added over time. We might
not be able to do all we dream of (or for that matter that YOU dream of) but we
have a very good chance to achieve most of the customers requests. It is just a
matter of time, and why some features are not present at launch is not related
to what we can do, but simply to the time required to complete them, as
obviously we want to release our product and finally make some money back on our
big investment. Every feature takes a lot of time, we do not want to release our
product in 8 months with everything we want to implement. So we have V1.0 this
month, then updates will be added as we develop new features.
I trust them when they say it will be compatible with 6.0, they always where very honest in mails, but of course i will just wait till they release the update since my 3ds is on 6.0.#

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
.I trust them when they say it will be compatible with 6.0, they always where very honest in mails, but of course i will just wait till they release the update since my 3ds is on 6.0.#

Sure, but just remember that they need to sell as many of these things as possible. I doubt they would tell anyone that it's unlikely to work on the latest firmware in the future if they want to maximise profits.

Well, yes. We need to wait for reviews and confirmations that it actually works. By the way, when 5.x was released, there was no info on Gateway or anything like this, so it's likely not fixed in 5.x series, but it can (and probably is) fixed in 6.0+ so I still believe that 5.x will be ok to work with Gateway.
Except they stated it (the blue card) only works on 4.5x. This is why I think they're using the exploit discovered by Yellows8 (or a variation of it), which was also fixed in 5.x. Yellows8 has another exploit lined up (IIRC), so perhaps all hope isn't lost.

Awdofgum

Wadofgum
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like I've asked before, is this gonna end up being worth the value of two upcoming 3DS titles? All signs right now are pointing out that this is still way too premature for a release. Also assuming everyone that pre-ordered this already gave up on the softmod.

Reactions: stephysanrio

LAA

Trophies
XP
Country
Sigh...
If I understand this right, they're saying they expect the exploit they use to be fixed after 6.0?
What a bad move...
I'm pretty sure most 3DS owners are going to want miiverse and 3DS accounts (if that comes to it anyway...but I think it should), heck some games may not even work if they require miiverse.
Really should have waited till after they released that update for 3DS.
I'll keep an eye on gateway anyway, but I'm looking more forward to a region free, supporting multiple roms and homebrew as well if possible.
Too late for me to use it anyway for now, unless they can get it working on 6.0, but seems a waste to buy it if I can only ever use it on 6.0, I'll definitely be wanting miiverse and accounts and if future games that use these features require them, who knows if they'll even work on gateway or not.

Reactions: jalaneme

BORODA

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It all sounds so complicated to me...............
Honestly, I would be happy to buy the legal cartridges but in Ukraine cartridge costs about 50$. My monthly salary is about 250$. I can't spent 1/5 of my salary on a portable video game. It's simply too much. If they adapted the price and made the cartridge cost 15-20$ (that's why steam sells games that cost 49.99$ for 19.99$ here) I wouldn't even bother about anything related to piracy and used legal cartridges but I'm simply forced to find the ways to play without drilling a hole in my budget.

umdking

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
So, it's fine with 4.5, then what about the lower versions? i.e. if my 3ds is on 4.10, does it work? Do I have to upgrade to 4.5? How to do the upgrade then? Which game should I have to safely upgrade to 4.5?
Thanks for any help.

tHciNc

Total Random
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
The Card is to get the 3DS "READY", it doesn't downgrade or upgrade to specified Firmware at all, they even stated from beginning not to upgrade from current firmware... (which was 5.XX)
If this did use the unreleased exploit, that was patched in 5.X, but worked in 4.5, they would know from the beginning its not going to work in any higher Firmware (which any money making product developer would do).
Unless of course this exploit differs and was found independently, Just seems weird they basically acted like it worked on all firmwares, when their video first came out, When in all reality it didn't, Then they spent a month going through the options of which story to tell to still suck people in. I'm not saying it's fake, won't come out etc, I just don't expect this team to do anything more than the 4.5 Card.......... But they also state that as soon as released, N will patch this exploit with a new update, so if yellow8's had been patched in 5.X, there must be something different about what they are doing

Also what is the highest firmware that brand new units ship with ??? Being in New Zealand I'm doubting there is anything higher than 4.X on shelves here... Did all color variants come out at same time? I just saw them on special for $288 for an XL while normals are $299 lol, so might pick up another one if i can guarantee it's firmware less than 5.X.

rabotash

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Honestly, I would be happy to buy the legal cartridges but in Ukraine cartridge costs about 50$. My monthly salary is about 250$. I can't spent 1/5 of my salary on a portable video game. It's simply too much. If they adapted the price and made the cartridge cost 15-20$ (that's why steam sells games that cost 49.99$ for 19.99$ here) I wouldn't even bother about anything related to piracy and used legal cartridges but I'm simply forced to find the ways to play without drilling a hole in my budget.
You forgot about region locking.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

The cynical bastard within says games are a luxury and that is a poor justification.

I should have clarified. A 3DS XL unit which is currently available to buy. Are they all firmware 4.5 and under?

I do not know specifics but going on this happening in previous consoles (the 360 and PS3 having pretty notable versions of this on several occasions) it varies wildly -- some shops have stock they have had since launch (especially if they do not cycle things properly) and others will be getting in new stock several times a week. Likewise I am not sure of the delay between Nintendo releasing the firmware and the factory flashing it during manufacture (Nintendo have traditionally done pretty badly at this but if they have upped their game there along with their firmwares then who knows).

Reactions: porkiewpyne

BORODA

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The cynical bastard within says games are a luxury and that is a poor justification.
Yeah, and that's why steam decreases prices for CIS countries. Because we are all "cynical bastards" and don't want to spent 1/5 of our salaries on 1 single game.
To me, you sound like a rich cynical bastard from a big company that gives no single fuck about people in other countries. "Why should we do anything for Ukraine, Georgia or Belarus? There's no good people outside of EU and US, everyone others only have cynical bastards". Try to live here, and you'll instantly change your mind.
You forgot about region locking.
I would have agreed with region lock only for CIS countries. I'm totally ok with it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this one +1