Gateway 3DS, News and Information

Bean_BR

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
If you mean 3DS updates, they're inside the ROM, as is the version required, and as this stuff is encrypted, that's why games that need higher than 4.5.x won't run.

Does these updates add some new feature to the 3DS system? Because it just sound like that DS AP stuff.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Does these updates add some new feature to the 3DS system? Because it just sound like that DS AP stuff.
Yup. For example the 3DS didn't even have a web browser on launch. Not every update adds a feature, but it's not like the DSi that does nothing useful to the end user.

pelo88

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
maybe just a wishful thinking but
maybe dstwo will make their cart capable of handling that job too making them only need to develop/clone the 3ds backup solution cart

Not wishful at all. The blue cart will include a homebrew app that will CERTAINLY be copied, and possibly reverse engineered, and made available to the community at large whether Gateway wants that to happen or not.
I'd say it's in Gateway's best interest FOR that to happen so they can focus on shipping just the red cart and even supply Supercard and others with them so they can rebrand and resell them. The dstwo is most certainly better than whatever the blue cart is since all it needs to do is run homebrew. I'd be shocked if they included a CPU in the blue cart like the dstwo sports. Like someone else mentioned it's probably a clone of the r4 cart that works on 6x firmware.

Just cuz I love to spark ideas in our awesome hacking/modding community, I see no reason why we can't use partition tools to format a 16GB microsd card to easily switch between multiple 3ds games by unhiding and setting active the one you're about to play. Them gateway folks could build an interface to change between partitions in I bet since they're already triggering scripts to run by pressing the home button to fix the save issue they were having, and there's obviously internal memory to the red card itself based on what they explained on their site. Same code could probably look into each partition to fetch the background images that load if the game was started up to make the interface to select the partition show those images. There are soooo many things possible with partition manipulation that I'd be shocked if this weren't made possible shortly after release.

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

So is this legit and possible?

I don't think so, yes you can run the installer/preparer homebrew that would be used on the blue card on a dstwo but not actually run the 3ds games off of the dstwo. While ds and 3ds games use pretty much the same pin layout, the way the carts communicate to the ds/3ds is very different.

That aside it almost looks like the dstwo had no micro sd in it, I think he just did the old replace the housing of a game or editing of the video.

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
The Blue card is a normal DS Flashcard

you can run the Gateway Installer on any 4.1 - 4.5 3DS

this allows you to enter "Gateway Mode" which stops normal 3DS games working and allows the Gateway Red Flashcard to work with 3DS roms
the only way to get out of "Gateway Mode" is to power off the 3DS, next time you turn back on your back to origional "3DS Mode"

Jusomeone

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
Even if Gateway manage to release compatibility to the latest firmware,
Nintendo will just release a new firmware right afterwards... and then
this cycle will continue on and on and we will never have the fluid
fun that was playing roms on the ds.... right?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Even if Gateway manage to release compatibility to the latest firmware,
Nintendo will just release a new firmware right afterwards... and then
this cycle will continue on and on and we will never have the fluid
fun that was playing roms on the ds.... right?

Possibly which would make it just like every other modern hacked device. This need not be so bad though and things could go like the aspects of the 360 JTAG/RGH stuff and have a virtual latest firmware.

Alternatively there could be a PS3/early iphone level screwup and something baked into hardware gets cracked.

I do have to mention much of the DS was not smooth sailing and the ones before it were in many ways worse.

What is fairly certain though is that the braindead easy stuff will not happen any time soon.

aofelix

Trophies
XP
Country
thank you! they emailed me today saying its been sent out so pretty fast considering i ordered on christmas eve at night time.

mhkwong

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
the video was surely edited, it was a black 3ds one minute and then it turned into a while 3ds.

however I don't think the person replaced the housing. I could replicate this video easily

first part of the video (black 3ds)
the person was using a dstwo cart with the gateway installer plugin.

second part of the video (white 3ds)
it was done with the sleight of hand. The gateway cart half inserted while in gateway mode. when the person pushed the dstwo into the 3ds, the person was actually tucking the dstwo underneath the 3ds, while pushing the half inserted gateway cart into. fooling everything

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: https://torrentfreak.com/one-nintendo-dmca-notice-just-wiped-out-8535-yuzu-emulator-forks-240502/