Hacking GCN and Wii Dolphin save files on back up games on real hardware

brunocar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Hi! i just recently hacked my wii and im really enjoying it, but i wanted to transfer my metroid prime trilogy and goldeneye rogue agent, i know you can export wii saves, but i dont know what to do with the outputted file and i have no clue of what to do with GCN saves.

SCOTT0852

shiny rubber creature
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure how Wii saves work other than just dumping your NAND and using it in Dolphin (doesn't work for vWii though), but I do know how GCN saves work.
To dump a GCN memory card: plug your memory card in to your Wii & run GCMM, it can dump the card to a .raw. Then just copy the .raw to your computer & change the memory card's path to it in Dolphin.

brunocar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I'm not sure how Wii saves work other than just dumping your NAND and using it in Dolphin (doesn't work for vWii though), but I do know how GCN saves work.
To dump a GCN memory card: plug your memory card in to your Wii & run GCMM, it can dump the card to a .raw. Then just copy the .raw to your computer & change the memory card's path to it in Dolphin.
i think i wasnt clear enough, i dont want to use gamecube saves on my PC, i want to use my dolphin saves on nintendont

brunocar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
If you didn't move your Dolphin folder they're in "Documents\Dolphin Emulator\GC".
yeah but there is only an emulated memcard there, a universal one for all gamecube games, nintendont emulates memcards on a game to game basis, so if i try using that emulated memcard (that only has saves for that game) it will recongnize it as a corrupted save

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

For nintendont, when set so that every game uses the same card it's ninmem.raw in SD/saves.
i did, but dolphin doesnt handle it that way, i think you can change it so it handles it like nintendont, but i dont know if i can convert the save file

brunocar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I know .raws are the same between Nintendont and Dolphin, I've transferred them before.
once again, the dolphin one is an emulated memory card, for EVERY gamecube game i have on dolphin, but i've only played timesplitters 2 and goldeneye rouge agent on it, meanwhile, nintendont does it differently, where each game's save is saved on its own file

SCOTT0852

shiny rubber creature
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Enable memcard multi in Nintendont, or whatever it's called (been a while since I messed with the Nintendont config), then you can put the card as ninmem.raw in SD/saves.

brunocar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Enable memcard multi in Nintendont, or whatever it's called (been a while since I messed with the Nintendont config), then you can put the card as ninmem.raw in SD/saves.
wouldnt that mean i have to switch modes every time i want to use individual saves i already have? cant dolphin convert one type of memcard emulation file to the other?

SCOTT0852

shiny rubber creature
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dolphin can take .raws from Nintendont and open them with it's Memory Card Manager to extract their saves. You can then put them onto the Dolphin card, and use that card in Nintendont.

brunocar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Dolphin can take .raws from Nintendont and open them with it's Memory Card Manager to extract their saves. You can then put them onto the Dolphin card, and use that card in Nintendont.
i'll try that and get back at you, what about size limits though? can the memcard be way bigger than a real memcard or am i limited to some arbitrary memory size like in the PSX?

SCOTT0852

shiny rubber creature
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can it be bigger? Absolutely.
Should you make it bigger? Well... it's a bit like 3DS sd cards: 32gb is max intended & works fine, 64 is a little slow, 128 breaks some things, never try 256.

brunocar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
well shit, did exactly as you told me, now the save data is still being detected as corrupted, but dolphin can read ninmem.raw just fine

EDIT: the raw files that nintendont previously made were also red succesfuly by dolphin, so you were right about the format being the same, but nintendont just refuses to read it

Last edited by brunocar,

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
once again, the dolphin one is an emulated memory card, for EVERY gamecube game i have on dolphin, but i've only played timesplitters 2 and goldeneye rouge agent on it, meanwhile, nintendont does it differently, where each game's save is saved on its own file

Make a copy of the memcard file and name the copies with the title IDs for the games. You can even delete the extra save file from each if you want.

brunocar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Make a copy of the memcard file and name the copies with the title IDs for the games. You can even delete the extra save file from each if you want.
already tried that, still gives me corrupted data, maybe its related to the way dolphin saves?

ganons

Trophies
XP
Country
I cant seem to load a gci save file from gamefaqs and load it in dolphon. Both are from the same region. Just says failed to import

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I cant seem to load a gci save file from gamefaqs and load it in dolphon. Both are from the same region. Just says failed to import

This thread seemed to be for loading Dolphin saves on real hardware. Your question might be better asked on the Dolphin support forum.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nintendo becomes responsible for 2024s virus