Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
kitehimuro said:
Yes, Geohot wasn't FORCING Sony to remove OtherOS. But guess what. Sony never would've removed OtherOS on it's own incentiveYou didn't read my post, did you? Sony removed the exploit and they chose to do it, they did not have to, geohot did not make them or ask them to.

Sony removed it, not geohot. Sony is blaming him so they can do it without everybody getting mad at them. And it's working. You're mad at HIM when THEY are the ones that removed it.

Am I going to have to make a "This is Sony, this is George Hotz" Venn Diagram for you?

QUOTE(kitehimuro @ Jul 16 2010, 01:15 PM) if Geohot wouldn't pine for his 15 minutes of fame with an exploit that still has no use at all to any normal users.
1 - It's called a Proof Of Concept, and they happen all the time in the computer world. It's perfectly normal to post a little video or code of the first small steps of some breakthrough or idea to show that it is possible (even if it doesn't do anything the public considers cool). If you knew anything about anything involved here you'd be aware of that.

2 - DO MORE READING OF THE THREAD, geohot does not own these news sites and is not the one making these announcements about himself. In fact he closed off his blogs! It's other sites that are reporting this stuff, not him!

The rest of your post shows a serious lack of reading anything but the first post in this thread, I've already covered the shit you're spewing.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Rydian said:
kitehimuro said:
Yes, Geohot wasn't FORCING Sony to remove OtherOS. But guess what. Sony never would've removed OtherOS on it's own incentiveYou didn't read my post, did you? Sony removed the exploit and they chose to do it, they did not have to, geohot did not make them or ask them to.

Sony removed it, not geohot. Sony is blaming him so they can do it without everybody getting mad at them. And it's working. You're mad at HIM when THEY are the ones that removed it.

Am I going to have to make a "This is Sony, this is George Hotz" Venn Diagram for you?

I'm not saying I disagree entirely, but it is still partly geohot's fault. If he hadn't released the hack, they wouldn't have removed the feature. And tbh, I don't think Sony are trying to turn people against geohot, they just don't want piracy on their console, which geohot publicly admitted his exploit could "easily" lead to. If he hadn't released it and talked it up so much, Other OS would almost definitely still be there on Phat PS3s.

QUOTE said:
kitehimuro said:
if Geohot wouldn't pine for his 15 minutes of fame with an exploit that still has no use at all to any normal users.
1 - It's called a Proof Of Concept, and they happen all the time in the computer world. It's perfectly normal to post a little video or code of the first small steps of some breakthrough or idea to show that it is possible (even if it doesn't do anything the public considers cool). If you knew anything about anything involved here you'd be aware of that.

Yes POCs are common. But almost never do they actually give away a potentially useful exploit. geohot was far too eager to release an exploit without first developing some useful software for it. AFAIK, there wasn't so much as a "Hello World".

2 - DO MORE READING OF THE THREAD, geohot does not own these news sites and is not the one making these announcements about himself. In fact he closed off his blogs! It's other sites that are reporting this stuff, not him!

I think you should read the post you are replying to a little more carefully. He's not talking about the huge commotion caused by his exit from the scene. He is talking about the announcements of the hack. It is undeniable that geohot played this up a lot. He did interviews with I believe various news networks. I know he definitely did one for BBC, and I think I saw in this thread he did one with one of the American news networks, CNN perhaps. His blog post was entitled something along the lines of "Hello hypervisor. I'm geohot", showing his quest for fame, as if people should recognise the name. He definitely sought fame for the hack, as kitehimuro suggested.

I am not saying I disagree with you. geohot seemed to be a fairly decent person, and released a fair amount of useful stuff (I know many people's iPhones/iPod Touches were jailbroken by his tools e.g. blackra1n). But I am also not agreeing with you fully. He should not, IMO, be held in as high regard as some people seem to think. But he should be respected more than some others think too.

MaK11-12

Trophies
Website
www.deltabeard.com
XP
Country
So basically, he is quitting because of retards who have no idea how to hack are asking for more of it.
So basically what happened to waninkoko of the Wii scene. It's so pathetic.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
metamaster said:
@Rydian: Although I agree with your arguments, why do you want to defend Geohot so badly?
You'll find me getting passionate like this any time people are scapegoating, 'cause I cannot STAND scapegoating. Scapegoating does not actually fix the problem.

Let's say some people have their computers crash.
Person A just blames it on Vista.
Person B investigates the crash, finds the issue, and fixes it.
Guess who has a fixed computer, and guess who still has a crashing computer...
person A because they will just go get windows 7 now
smileipb2.png

Seraph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wait...has Sony's PR department ever mention the words geohot or George Hotz? You can't say Sony used him as a scapegoat to remove a feature when they never named him...Why would they remove the feature in the first place when it doesn't interfere with other features? It's probably not completely geohot's fault they removed it but it is still partly his. Still think he never had anything in the first place.

There are a lot of respectful coders/hackers in the world...he is not one of them.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good riddance. Sure the PS3 games are friggin huge, but when you want to steal that bad, size isn't going to matter anyway. If anything it'll just buy more time as someone else will surely try and take it up again.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
EDIT: Wait WTF, let me redo this, woah.
EDIT2: Nevermind, I'm jumping at shadows.

PS3 Slim (lacking OtherOS) announced: August, 2009
PS3 Slim (lacking OtherOS) released: September 2009

Geohot announces hack: December 2009
Geohot releases hack: January 2010

Geohot's hack does not involve time travel IIRC.
tongue.gif

antwill

Better Than You
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Joe88 said:
Rydian said:
metamaster said:
@Rydian: Although I agree with your arguments, why do you want to defend Geohot so badly?
You'll find me getting passionate like this any time people are scapegoating, 'cause I cannot STAND scapegoating. Scapegoating does not actually fix the problem.

smileipb2.png
In this case, Person B was Microsoft.

Also I'm beginning to wonder, after reading all of Rydian's posts where it's almost like some big PR stunt for geohot or fanboyism... Rydian, are you working for geohot?! I mean half the posts you seem to just be stating off what is read on wikipedia, "did you read my wiki," etc. I wonder just how many times geohot edited that page to make himself seem better?
unsure.gif

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Nah, as I stated I don't have a single thing geohot did anything for and I've never even seen a post from the guy (or looked at his blog, it was removed by the time I found this thread), however when it comes to checking info from wikipedia and such I always check the source (you can see me in other threads debunking stuff on wikipedia about the 3DS release date because there's no source or the source is fake), and when something is fishy I check/compare the edit history (wikipedia has an easy function for that, highlighting changes across time spans you specify).

Just, again I cannot stand scapegoating, and I do not think people have a reason to be blaming geohot for all the shit they blame him for, and don't have a reason to be mad at him the way they are.

People have already made all sorts of accusations and have either been totally unable to provide any sort of source, or have been proven wrong with actual sources (or simply comparing dates).

antwill

Better Than You
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Rydian said:
Nah, as I stated I don't have a single thing geohot did anything for and I've never even seen a post from the guy (or looked at his blog, it was removed by the time I found this thread), however when it comes to checking info from wikipedia and such I always check the source (you can see me in other threads debunking stuff on wikipedia about the 3DS release date because there's no source or the source is fake), and when something is fishy I check/compare the edit history (wikipedia has an easy function for that, highlighting changes across time spans you specify).

Just, again I cannot stand scapegoating, and I do not think people have a reason to be blaming geohot for all the shit they blame him for, and don't have a reason to be mad at him the way they are.

People have already made all sorts of accusations and have either been totally unable to provide any sort of source, or have been proven wrong with actual sources (or simply comparing dates).
Heh, I was just joking. It was just that out of everyone you seem to be the only one who seems to be pushing positives of his across no matter, it seemed odd is all. It was like blind faith. Oh and to answer your statement earlier wanting an original source to know if geohot actually posted the image, unless you can google cache the blog post to find out, you pretty much won't get one. As every blog/website that claims he posted the image sources that blog post or another blog that then sources his blog.

Finishoff

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You should of seen the local media all flocking over the triumph of Geo's success in hacking the PS3. it was all over the news for days. Shortly after that, there was a announcement about the next PS3 firmware update that install another OS was going to be removed due to security measures.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/03/28/...e-v3-21-update/
"due to security concerns, Sony Computer Entertainment will remove the functionality through the 3.21 system software update."

It's vague about what the security flaw can be, but people will assume.

-----------------------

This is really about Geo leaving the scene. Well he's gone, going to do whatever he wants now. I'm pretty sure we'll hear about him in the future. Actually I'm calling it.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have been trying to use Google Cache to see the post about the iPhone 4 jailbreak and his twitter updates, but the Cache for twitter is too recent and for his blog is too old
frown.gif

alidsl

I am now a lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
antwill said:
Joe88 said:
Rydian said:
Except Microsoft would patch it up, not fix it

I completely agree with Rydian (for the first time ever)

Sony is using Geohot as an excuse, they probably new that someone would use the "other OS" function for an exploit but needed an excuse to cover it up

antwill

Better Than You
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
alidsl said:
antwill said:
Joe88 said:
Rydian said:
Except Microsoft would patch it up, not fix it

I completely agree with Rydian (for the first time ever)

Sony is using Geohot as an excuse, they probably new that someone would use the "other OS" function for an exploit but needed an excuse to cover it up
If the patch stops the problem, then how is that not fixing it?

D

Deleted_171835

SifJar said:
Not if the patch removes it. Which is kinda the idea of a patch.
Define Patch: A temporary addition to a piece of code, usually as a {quick-and-dirty} remedy to an existing {bug} or {misfeature}.
Patches don't remove the bug.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay