Better Than You
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
alidsl said:
Look at the post above you
Except you're arguments wrong. So what if a patch is adding something to the code while leaving the problem it. It is still fixing it. I don't know, maybe you're just not thinking, how can something that's added or what not, not be a fix when the problem is no longer affecting you?
Besides sure some patches are quick fixes but that doesn't mean that there can't be a full fix applied that addresses the problem more seriously.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Er, a patch is designed to fix a problem without requiring a full replacement of the thing in question. It doesn't have to be temporary, it can be either.
Let's say I made an interpreted program to calculate shipping, and I typo'd a variable name and it no longer works.
I release a patch that fixes the typo (consisting of only a few bytes), and the problem is fixed.
It will not automagically revert itself at a later unspecified date.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Patch is not necessarily an addition, it can also be a change. For example, Wii System Menu patches mostly don't add anything, but merely change some of what is already there to change the functionality.

antwill

Better Than You
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Rydian said:
Er, a patch is designed to fix a problem without requiring a full replacement of the thing in question. It doesn't have to be temporary, it can be either.
Let's say I made an interpreted program to calculate shipping, and I typo'd a variable name and it no longer works.
I release a patch that fixes the typo (consisting of only a few bytes), and the problem is fixed.
It will not automagically revert itself at a later unspecified date.
Exactly, thank you. Finally someone with sense around here, who isn't a 14 yr old wanna be programmer who thinks they know it all.

omatic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If the Wikipedia page is to be believed, then I thank geohot for his work on the iPhone and PS3.

Also, patching something = fixing it (assuming the patch works properly), when it comes to programs. The alternative is to re-write / change code in the original source, recompile it, and have clients download the entire thing again, which is impractical.

Datalogger

Living the Dream
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So he came onto the PS3 scene, announced to the world that he had hacked the PS3, gave Sony an easy out for removing OtherOS by announcing how he had hacked it using OtherOS, said he had CFW to fix it, made a fake Youtube video of it, then disappeared.

Yes, he will go down in PS3 history….for ruining the PS3 for all of us that use Linux on it.
Now we will never be able to use the games we purchased on PSN unless we give up OtherOS.

Please, leave out the B.S. about how it would be better to buy a PC to run Linux, unless you know of a PC we can buy that has a PPC based PPE and 6 SPE’s to work with.
Even with a Sony crippled RSX GPU, it’s still better than anything else available anywhere near the cost.

Good riddance from the PS3 scene, egoHot
Wish you had never stopped by…
hate2.gif

antwill

Better Than You
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Smyers75 said:
So he came onto the PS3 scene, announced to the world that he had hacked the PS3, gave Sony an easy out for removing OtherOS by announcing how he had hacked it using OtherOS, said he had CFW to fix it, made a fake Youtube video of it, then disappeared.

Yes, he will go down in PS3 history….for ruining the PS3 for all of us that use Linux on it.
Now we will never be able to use the games we purchased on PSN unless we give up OtherOS.

Please, leave out the B.S. about how it would be better to buy a PC to run Linux, unless you know of a PC we can buy that has a PPC based PPE and 6 SPE’s to work with.
Even with a Sony crippled RSX GPU, it’s still better than anything else available anywhere near the cost.

Good riddance from the PS3 scene, egoHot
Wish you had never stopped by…
hate2.gif
Beats the theories I've heard;
Hack legitimately relying majorly on a group effort, then claiming credit. Once his 15 minutes of fame is up he thinks "what can I hack to get even more attention, I know the PS3, no one has got that working, what a chance to show my superiority", he then spends 15 minutes on it and gives up, spending the rest of his time learning video editing software techniques and photoshop.

Datalogger

Living the Dream
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
alidsl said:
You don't know it's fake do you, perhaps it was unstable/had a large bug,
Your right, I don't know it was fake, but with this guy's ego, I'd put some real money on it.
If he had the code, buggy or not, he would have released it just to stroke his own ego.
I mean really, this guy even let CNN and CNBC interview him...that's a big ego that needs plenty of attention.

In this game it's put up or shut up.

Either way, he’s gone and I'll always wish he had just stuck to phones and left the PS3 and OtherOS alone.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Smyers75 said:
made a fake Youtube video of it
citation-needed-wikipedia-819731_500_271.jpg

Smyers75 said:
Your right, I don't know it was fake, but with this guy's ego, I'd put some real money on it.That's because you don't seem to know any of the other work he's done, which I've repeatedly pointed out in this thread (that you have failed to read in order to spout off some anger). It's as if Albert Einstein said he invented a new kind of super bomb, showed a video, and then refused to release it and went into retirement because he didn't want it getting out for whatever reason he himself has. It's

Smyers75 said:
If he had the code, buggy or not, he would have released it just to stroke his own ego.
Lrn more plz. If CFW or a hack for a system is buggy or the instructions aren't followed correctly, it could brick the system. That would NOT be anything good for his reputation in the least, and is not something to risk if you really do have an ego.

Besides, having an ego doesn't mean he can't hack. Hell, generally you get an ego from actually being able to do something.
tongue.gif

QUOTE(Smyers75 @ Jul 18 2010, 06:07 AM)
I mean really, this guy even let CNN and CNBC interview him...that's a big ego that needs plenty of attention.
So everybody on CNN and CNBC has a big ego? Because that IS what you yourself just said, as I've quoted right there. That's a rather large assumption you've got going on there, mister.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Infinite Zero said:
Nobody cares to hack the PS3. Poor thing.. And even if it was, the games are too big to be downloaded xD
I do.

Even if nothing else, to at least play the games that my chipped PS2 does already. So I can finally retire my PS2 and enjoy the superior upscaling the PS3 affords. At least I do have a BC unit.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
luke_c said:
The average PS3 game that is dumped is 7GB. Which is only a few gigs more than 360 games.
That's true; however, the question then comes, whether you still need to burn that onto a single or dual layer BD-R in order for the ps3 to 'accept' it as a game.

Even small games on disc for the 360 would have to be burned on a dual-layer DVD. It might be the same issue with the PS3 and BluRay.

connor_walsh

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
codezer0 said:
luke_c said:
The average PS3 game that is dumped is 7GB. Which is only a few gigs more than 360 games.
That's true; however, the question then comes, whether you still need to burn that onto a single or dual layer BD-R in order for the ps3 to 'accept' it as a game.

Even small games on disc for the 360 would have to be burned on a dual-layer DVD. It might be the same issue with the PS3 and BluRay.
What about if an external HDD loader was made?

On a different/0ff-topic note a total of 809 PS3 games have been dumped.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm surprised no-one appears to have suggested that he has faked his own quitting as a publicity stunt. IIRC, Dark_Alex did that, pretended to quit, then made new CFWs claiming to be "Team M33". Not saying this is what is happening, but its an idea no one seems to have mentioned yet.

alidsl

I am now a lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
He might be actually cause he was getting pissed of at people tweeting him constantly about when limera1n will be released, maybe he wants to work on it in peace

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If a random new hacker suddenly releases stuff for iPhone or PS3, I know I'll have my suspicions. It is in some ways a logical solution to the problem of n00bs pestering. Although even if he tries to reinvent himself, the "new" him will get pestered the same way...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: :lol: