KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
shanefromoz said:
#uck you sony.
My ps3 i will do with it what i want illegal or not.
he he he.
Hope geohot rips your arse in court sony.
Good luck geohot.
But that unreasonable...
ohnoes.png

Sylar1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The dude ***** himself over, now he wants everyone else to pay his legal fee's, what a wonderful world we live in.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Maedhros said:
Jamstruth said:
GundamXXX, Sony are suing Geohot over all the tools he has released to do with jailbreaking a PS3 it is an entirely seperate case than the PSN bans (which I support). If Sony win this it sets a precedent that will result in ALL hacks becoming illegal. Our flashcarts, our Homebrew Channel, our CFWs any developing of these moves from the grey area into open fire from the big corporations.
Geohot released the Private Keys for the PS3 and that's what attracted the attention. Sony are doing this in a last bid of desperation to restore their security integrity (once the number is theirs alone they can submit takedown notices). Nobody has ever gotten a console's private keys before but if Sony manage to get this number essentially copyrighted through winning this case then Nintendo could go after Twiizers for the Common Key and suddenly console hacking and homebrew are locked down by the full force of law. (And Apple will kick up a storm of that DMCA ruling about JailBreaking)
Sony sueing Geohot for releasing the private keys, not the tools.
Think about it. Geohot AND Fail0verflow are getting sued. Its just that the Fail0verflow part isn't well publicised. They both have the private keys and have been using them to create tools to further the hacking community. its not just the release of the number Sony are after, its all these tools that blow the console wide open. Even if Geohot hadn't released the keys the system was wide for huge blows. Anybody could have found them, its just that Geohot was egotistic enough to want to be the first to publish them.
If the key is illegal, the tools are illegal, if the tools are illegal any hacking is ilelgal not just piracy.

Maedhros

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Jamstruth said:
Maedhros said:
Jamstruth said:
GundamXXX, Sony are suing Geohot over all the tools he has released to do with jailbreaking a PS3 it is an entirely seperate case than the PSN bans (which I support). If Sony win this it sets a precedent that will result in ALL hacks becoming illegal. Our flashcarts, our Homebrew Channel, our CFWs any developing of these moves from the grey area into open fire from the big corporations.
Geohot released the Private Keys for the PS3 and that's what attracted the attention. Sony are doing this in a last bid of desperation to restore their security integrity (once the number is theirs alone they can submit takedown notices). Nobody has ever gotten a console's private keys before but if Sony manage to get this number essentially copyrighted through winning this case then Nintendo could go after Twiizers for the Common Key and suddenly console hacking and homebrew are locked down by the full force of law. (And Apple will kick up a storm of that DMCA ruling about JailBreaking)
Sony sueing Geohot for releasing the private keys, not the tools.
Think about it. Geohot AND Fail0verflow are getting sued. Its just that the Fail0verflow part isn't well publicised. They both have the private keys and have been using them to create tools to further the hacking community. its not just the release of the number Sony are after, its all these tools that blow the console wide open. Even if Geohot hadn't released the keys the system was wide for huge blows. Anybody could have found them, its just that Geohot was egotistic enough to want to be the first to publish them.
If the key is illegal, the tools are illegal, if the tools are illegal any hacking is ilelgal not just piracy.
I don't see it this way, neither I have sufficient knowledge to answer this, I'll research more about this.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm just following the chain.
If Sony win then they have successfully proven that a company can "own" a number.
By "owning" this number it means that only they are allowed to use it.
If only they are allowed to use it they can put in for and be successful in any and all takedown notices for signed CFW and homebrew
If Sony can prove they can own a number, why can't any other manufacturer?
Suddenly a lot of Wii Homebrew that uses the Common Key becomes a problem.

As for Fail0verflow. They did not release the key, they only made tools BUT they have been targetted by Sony. If that lawsuit goes through and Sony win suddenly ANY unauthorised reverse engineering of copyrighted code becomes fair game. The hacking scene would be forced waaayy underground and only those with the skills to do it themselves would be able to run unsigned code.

This is a complete worst case scenario view of things though. I'm not saying I like rampant piracy but I do enjoy emulators and creative homebrew programs.

antwill

Better Than You
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Argentum Vir said:
Because I can only speak for myself. What is normal to you doesn't mean its normal for everyone else. What makes your definition of normal the "rule"?

Define: normal
being approximately average or within certain limits in e.g. intelligence and development; "a perfectly normal child"; "of normal intelligence"; "the most normal person I've ever met"

You make it seem like everyone thinks, walks and talks... JUST LIKE YOU. You are one person, why don't you go find 3-4 billion people who agree on your definition of normal, then I'll admit I'm wrong.

If I make it seem that everyone thinks like me then that means I have one this discussion, unless you mean that I make it seem like I think everyone does. But you never said that so you must not have meant that. I'm not surprised you don't understand what average in this case means in your quote, or how I've been right all along. But I see no point in arguing this anymore as it is getting off-topic, so let's go on with the other points you raised.

Argentum Vir said:
Go back and re-read my comment. I made no claims about the phat, and they removed them to cut costs on the slim. Also, what good does it do to bring up the phats when 3.21 removed OtherOS?

Where exactly does this fit in with your point?
I never said you did. I brought up the phat for this reason:
KingVamp said:
Rydian said that they wasn't going to bring it back regardless because of cost.
Also because the whole time when I brought up OtherOS being removed it was talking about the phat, so it had been my point all along, also you seem pretty ignorant I'm sure you could use some learning. What good does it do? Well it's pretty convincing that geohot was one of the main reasons for having Sony remove it due to security reasons. But I'm not surprised you didn't see that if you didn't read my first post that was talking about OtherOS and specifically the phat. Therefore your whole 'copypasta' quote was not even needed.

QUOTE(Argentum Vir @ Feb 22 2011, 07:34 AM)
Why does a common internet term matter? If you stick to that, I'm gonna ask why you just used face palm without spaces.
Because the term doesn't have spaces obviously. Also facepalm is a good reactionary descriptive term, 'copypasta' is not, and it sounds like something a 12 year old would say. Are you 12?

jonesman99

GBAtemp's Official ArchAndroid
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wow... im sensing a little bit of tension on this topic...
unsure.gif
lol

But on topic: @Jamstruth, I never knew about piracy in the video game industry (how to hack consoles, download games, and reading about the consequences of it all) until the current generation. I knew it was there (*COUGH* Visual Boy Advance *COUGH*) just never used any of it.

And yea, that is a really bad looking worst case scenario, meaning that the homebrew community would be taking a leap and a bound backwards. Like back before there was the internet, people had Ataris, doing this out of their garages, and spreading it by word of mouth.

I kinda feel bad about Sony's lawyers. If only they truly knew how poorly thought out the PS3's security was. They wouldn't be making a big deal about Geohot, regardless of how big a deal he makes of himself. But I understand that they are given orders from the higher ups. But if this was a company that stood behind their products, each and every department of it would and SHOULD have got to known their product, inside and out. On top of that, they would NOT have had to do so after the fact that it got hacked.

Should have been careful of how they market their products, we take ish seriously out here in these streets...
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jamstruth said:
I'm just following the chain.
If Sony win then they have successfully proven that a company can "own" a number.
By "owning" this number it means that only they are allowed to use it.
If only they are allowed to use it they can put in for and be successful in any and all takedown notices for signed CFW and homebrew
If Sony can prove they can own a number, why can't any other manufacturer?
Suddenly a lot of Wii Homebrew that uses the Common Key becomes a problem.

As for Fail0verflow. They did not release the key, they only made tools BUT they have been targetted by Sony. If that lawsuit goes through and Sony win suddenly ANY unauthorised reverse engineering of copyrighted code becomes fair game. The hacking scene would be forced waaayy underground and only those with the skills to do it themselves would be able to run unsigned code.

This is a complete worst case scenario view of things though. I'm not saying I like rampant piracy but I do enjoy emulators and creative homebrew programs.
Didn't think it that far through.
ohnoes.png

antwill said:
KingVamp said:
Rydian said that they wasn't going to bring it back regardless because of cost.
Also because the whole time when I brought up OtherOS being removed it was talking about the phat, so it had been my point all along, also you seem pretty ignorant I'm sure you could use some learning. What good does it do? Well it's pretty convincing that geohot was one of the main reasons for having Sony remove it due to security reasons. But I'm not surprised you didn't see that if you didn't read my first post that was talking about OtherOS and specifically the phat. Therefore your whole 'copypasta' quote was not even needed.
Are you talking about me when you post this?
blink.gif
Yes, but even then they should have fix it and give it back. You could argue geohot was just trying to give us more (legal) freedom on our their (people/customers) device.

QUOTE(Argentum Vir @ Feb 22 2011, 07:34 AM)
Why does a common internet term matter? If you stick to that, I'm gonna ask why you just used face palm without spaces.
Because the term doesn't have spaces obviously. Also facepalm is a good reactionary descriptive term, 'copypasta' is not, and it sounds like something a 12 year old would say. Are you 12?
This part doesn't even matter really.
mellow.gif

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
Jamstruth said:

That sounds like the perfect kind of world to me. Only the people with the right skills can do it. If people want to do it, they have to learn the skills instead of relying on other people to figure it out for them. It would hopefully show all of the spoiled brats in the current "scene" that they aren't entitled to anything.

Ignore the signature for this post, this post is serious.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Law said:
Jamstruth said:

That sounds like the perfect kind of world to me. Only the people with the right skills can do it. If people want to do it, they have to learn the skills instead of relying on other people to figure it out for them. It would hopefully show all of the spoiled brats in the current "scene" that they aren't entitled to anything.

Ignore the signature for this post, this post is serious.
um... Expect all people aren't "spoiled brats" and not all, maybe even most can not require this skill. Do you know how to?

That like saying people who make computers shouldn't find a way to spread the devices to others.

Sound a bit selfish to me.

MEGAMANTROTSKY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KingVamp said:
That like saying people who make computers shouldn't find a way to spread the devices to others.

Sound a bit selfish to me.
I'd call it reactionary or elitist. Probably the latter. I would imagine the average user does not want to navigate through terminal-like settings in order to play a backup. If the community makes their work inaccessible in this way to the public, they would have no other purpose but to exist for that community; this would render the scene useless. Can you imagine what USB would have become, or wouldn't have become, if only Intel technicians were able to use it? This line of logic assumes that the world would have been better off if Prometheus hadn't bothered with fire.

antwill

Better Than You
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
KingVamp said:
Are you talking about me when you post this?
blink.gif
Yes, but even then they should have fix it and give it back. You could argue geohot was just trying to give us more (legal) freedom on our their (people/customers) device.
No I was still talking to him, just telling him why I mentioned the phat's OtherOS removal in the first place.

Maedhros

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
If you look around, you'll see the PS3 was never advertised as having Other OS, instead, on the PS3 box, it said features could change with time.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maedhros said:
If you look around, you'll see the PS3 was never advertised as having Other OS, instead, on the PS3 box, it said features could change with time.
If so(which is mess up), it was still advertised as a multimedia device, (legal)homebrew should be allow.

Nujui

I need something to do.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, he close donations for the time being. Just letting you know.

Thank you so so much for all of your help, things are looking up money wise.
Expect to see a few more lawyers on my responses!
I have enough to cover my legal fees for the time being.
And in the absolute worst case scenario, we don't want Sony getting it :-P

For now, the best thing you can do is spread the word
Let people know how Sony treats customers
Let people know Sony would rather sue than be proactive and try to fix the problem
Let people know about laws like the DMCA which stifle innovation, and don't do anything to fix the problems they were created to solve

I will keep this blog updated as the case develops.
[/p]
Source

Eckin

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
it's ridiculous to see people here supporting Sony instead of geohot

this is an active community with a lot of people who use homebrew (in various consoles/handhelds)

this kind of community could be forced underground if Sony wins this case

some of you are so reckless, is it naivety or just plain stupidity?

Maedhros

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Eckin said:
it's ridiculous to see people here supporting Sony instead of geohot

this is an active community with a lot of people who use homebrew (in various consoles/handhelds)

this kind of community could be forced underground if Sony wins this case

some of you are so reckless, is it naivety or just plain stupidity?
I'm stupid, herp, derp.

Maybe some people just don't care?

And some people think this will change nothing. I don't see why support him is right and not support him is wrong.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Maedhros said:
If you look around, you'll see the PS3 was never advertised as having Other OS, instead, on the PS3 box, it said features could change with time.http://n4g.com/news/1079/new-ken-kutaragi-interview
http://www.engadget.com/2006/06/02/phil-ha...-your-computer/

I'm pretty sure Sony presented it as a personal computer when exporting it to various countries in order to get around various taxes or whatever that dealt with importing game systems, and that was used as evidence in the OtherOS suits that Sony intended it to be there all along originally.

QUOTE(Maedhros @ Feb 22 2011, 11:31 AM) I don't see why support him is right and not support him is wrong.
I bet if HP tried to sue you for installing linux on your PC you'd care.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: if only it could read dvds then you would just need 1 disc