Gaming Glover 2 was just a big hoax, what a surprise!

Did you believe that Glover 2 was going to be real?

• No way! Seemed extremely fishy to me.

Votes: 13 92.9%
  • Yes, it looked pretty legit to me.

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters

SimonMKWii

Professional Idiot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I'm sure everyone is extremely shocked to learn that both the Glover 2 project and Golden Mushroom Studio are complete bullshit!

There have been no updates for nearly a week, and both their website and twitter account are gone:

http://www.golden-mushroom.com/
https://twitter.com/GMS_GER

My question is, how did this even start, and what did they achieve with this?

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
For me "Glover 2" sounded as alien and irrelevant as probably "Gridder 2" may sound to you.

So I would vote for "Didn't give a fuck", like if someone told me "did you really believe McD was going to put an extra slice of tomato into their Big Macs"... erm... I thought Big Macs didn't have tomato at all, but who cares?

PS: Also, Gridder, a "classic" for the C64.
Gridder.png

DarthDub

Amateur Hacker
Trophies
Website
www.gaiaonline.com
XP
Country
United States
Glover was a underrated game.
I really liked it when I was younger and I think about replaying it.
I wish Glover 2 was real ;-;
There's two prototypes out there on the internet. I like how it parodied Banjo Kazooie with the fat bird saying fart noises.

Reactions: xXDungeon_CrawlerXx
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This kinda weird stuff seems as likely as another Bubsy game (yet somehow another came out last year mind you) or basically picture this: The most obscure game from the 90’s you could possibly think of, that maybe 2 or 3 people played, getting a sequel.

Tomy Sakazaki

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
tl;dr Golden Mushroom Studio started to acquire the trademark of Glover on Europe and thought it was enough to warrant the actual IP globally, however since Piko Interactive bought the actual IP they are the legit owners and amicably required that Golden Mushroom stop using the mark and likeness of Glover.
https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/8d4ujt/statement_regarding_glover_and_our_company/ - Golden Mushroom statement
https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...ent_regarding_glover_and_our_company/dxkpk74/ - Nintendo Switch Reddit mods statement
https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...ent_regarding_glover_and_our_company/dxl6t60/ - Piko Interactive Statement

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know if I would claim hoax at this point.

It sounded like someone misunderstood how copyright/intellectual property law works and thought they saw a way to do something they actually could not, but it might have been nice for them if they could; there are a thousand small indy devs doing the current trend, which seems to no longer be small child in a dark and scary world/remaking NES Mario and instead early 3d platformers, and "get yourself some positive name recognition" is and has always been a good plan. If they don't have much invested in the business name then shut it down and come back as something else is a viable option (indeed see the history of Glover's various owners for name change fun and games) if they were otherwise going to be.

That said I just checked a trademark lookup and they don't have anything registered recently for it... I probably should have done that when I was checking the old ones. I don't know if it got withdrawn

If we are going deep into cynical territory it could have been an interest gauge/sales pitch by someone (either the current owners, someone looking to fund such a game or someone looking to buy it from the owners), and it certainly went wider than I would have expected a crowdfunding campaign to achieve at this point in time (most media outlets seem to have realised they are mostly scams and incompetence and thus not worth reporting on). If getting your fan game smacked down before suddenly releasing a version without all the infringing material (or otherwise using it to boost another project) is so successful at getting press then this is a nice twist on that. I have absolutely no evidence and don't even care to go looking.

So yes I can't claim hoax and further will pull you up on your choice to go there.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
reminds me of Banjo Kazooie and conker's bad fur day.
Don't most PS1/N64 platformers look the same to you?

I think it was an offhand comment in the let's play a bunch of ex Rare types did of conker's bad fur day where they mentioned about Rare's library (this was pre internet getting to be like it is today after all) having a book covering different levels, hence why all the Rare things all had similar levels.
Playlist
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFP9r6vJL2qCCERMBP_ZWUEV0vaSL4rHf
First video, can't remember exactly where it was though

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • impeeza @ impeeza:
    @Xdqwerty yes, when you are installing Windows on the first steps you are asked for your current location, you MUST to select «international» so no bloatware is installed, because the bloatware is location based. if this night I have some time I will setup a VM and take screenshots.
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    User Gates "Disliked" your answer.
    +3
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Damn cleaned up 348GB's of crap I wasn't using with that lol
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    But can it completely remove RealPlayer? Lol jk
    +3
    I remember at one point it being pretty much labeled as malware lol
    I think my favorite one was that dancing purple gorilla... I uninstalled that thing from sooo many machine people would be like "Why is my computer so slow?" lol because this thing is using like 30% of your system resources.....
    +1
    This one lady... her son kept installing Kazaa... OK no problem the issue is he would download DBZ movies and they where amazing usually like 2-8KB in size lol can't remember how many times I had to format and reinstall windows over his stupidity. I even explained to him about file sizes multiple times...
    +1
    yeah Bonzi buddy was malware sort of... It was borderline lol
    At minimum it was nothing anyone should have ever installed lol
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, RealPlayer is spyware too.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, Yeah, BonziBuddy was both spyware and ad-ware. It collected children's personal information without consent as well as display fake Windows popups.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, atleast bonzi got discontinued
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, The people who created Bonzi now owns a company called 2KDirect; an advertising firm. https://www.ipromote.com/
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, atleast they get slightly cleaner money
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, hot take
    +2
    So Bonzi buddy was an evil version of Alexa lol
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    the legal drinking age here in the US is 21, as some of you may know, but i think either it should be 18 or the age you're an adult should be 21.
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and i know what you may be thinking, "why become an adult at 21? doesn't that mean that banging an 18 year old would be illegal?"
    first of all, being in a relationship with someone who's 18 is technically ok, as long as it started when they were 18, but the age gap is still weird depending on how old you are. besides, the age of consent differs between different states
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: and i know what you may be thinking, "why become an adult at 21? doesn't that mean that banging...