Google is shutting down its internal Stadia game development studios as it switches focus

Stadia_03_19_19.jpg

Google Stadia has had its ups and downs since its launch in late 2019, as it edged its way into the cloud-based game streaming market, as well as game development. Yet, it seems like the latter half will soon be shuttered, as a press release from Google has revealed Stadia Games & Entertainment--SG&E, its game studio brand--will slowly wind down by the end of 2021. Rather than create games, Google appears to now want to shift focus to "building the proven technology of Stadia as well as deepening business partnerships". Jade Raymond, former producer of the first two Assassin's Creed titles, who headed SG&E will also be departing Google for new ventures, while some of the team from the Los Angeles and Montreal branches will find new roles within the company after Google restructures. For now, Google is committed to Stadia as a platform.

:arrow: Source

D

Deleted User

I wanna say I'm surprised but I'm not. I'm really not.

This is them preparing to close the whole lot down, they're just not saying it out loud.

Nobody wants to be on this service. We'd rather own the games we purchase, and not suddenly have all out games stripped from us because we said something the Technocracy didn't like.

Google and all related google products can fuck go fuck their own asses with a bunch of cacti.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
If stadia went to monthly for the whole library I can see it thrive but not with paying full price plus the streaming

Reactions: Xzi

Dimensional

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Stadia is the Netflix of Games. You buy a subscription to their service, like Netflix, and then you pay for each digital item you like to experience, like.......

aka, Stadia was never really the Netflix of Games. It was sold on that basic lie and most people saw through it. Doesn't mean people didn't buy a stadia, get a subscription, and buy a few games, but most saw the blatant lie in the statement. It's sad to see Google shutting down something else, which is a sign they are ready to let that ship sink instead of spend more money on it, but at least they are giving some of their employees the opportunity to transfer to another department or find employment elsewhere.

Google bet big on game streaming, much like a bunch of other predecessors (OnLive?), however they are quickly seeing the return on investment is not remotely close to what they were hoping, even if they were hoping for a small profit.

D

Deleted User

Apple Arcade isn’t a streaming service. Plus, considering it’s being bundled with so many different Apple plans, it seems unlikely they would have a reason to remove it any time soon.
I didn't said it is a streaming service. I just want them to loss money as much as possible.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
one thing is gamepass and xcloud, you know like netflix for games, but paying for service and then full price for each digital game its just ridiculous imo and now their games look even worse than ps5/xboxsx.

Imo in 2 or 3 years they will close everything down and anyone who just kept purchasing games will be empty handed because there will be no servers to stream from at all.

phreaksho

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting.. don't mean to stir the pot too much, but I think stadia is great. I don't have that good of internet speeds but stadia seems to run smoothly everywhere I try it out.. no data caps yet for us tho. That'd be a pain.. also notice a couple posts saying you need to pay for stadia to buy games and play on the platforms.. you guys just need to purchase whatever game you want.. and then play it. You don't need to be a pro member or anything. Just use a Google account and your square. Took a dive into stadia when cyberpunk came out and I haven't regretted it yet.. Google will end up shutting down the whole platform because that seems to be the route Google likes to take with their products.. it'll be like 6 years from now, be my guess, but works wonders where I'm at. Although it could be better in many ways, it's a lot better than OnLive when that was a thing. If there were save states for your games I would probably stick with stadia for a major of my gaming..

Alrighty guys.. said my piece so go ahead and let me have it:yay:

Reactions: 6adget

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PLEASE let this be the next article!
Google Stadia shuts down

After finally realizing that it's cloud-based services are crap, Google has decided to quit the gaming business and shut down Stadia. Those who try to subscribe will automatically be refunded, and current subscribers have until TOMORROW! QUIT YOUR SUBSCRIPTION NOW!

...Okay, maybe a bit drastic here.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Google kills off yet another service of theirs. Them dropping their services so fast is exactly why people don't put any faith in their services.

Reactions: Deleted User

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
The only 2 reasons cloud gaming hasn't worked so far:

1- Unstable video / image quality, even with good internet.

2 - Horrible input lag, rendering any competitive game unplayable.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

6adget

GBAtemp's official atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You only have to pay a monthly fee if you want to play in 4K. If you are ok with 1080 then you buy the game and play. For those without a gaming pc it's a n option that is enticing.

I bought cyberpunk on stadia, and I have no regrets. When cyberpunk came out there was a massive rush of new subscribers. You can invest In a gaming rig, or a concol to play a new game. Not cheap. Or for the cost of the game you can start playing it on just about any device.

After all the new subscribers, and non subscribers playing on stadia, and seeing all the hate on new games that were not ready to be released, they saw the risk of game development and said why make our own games. Just offer the service.

I think the more ways to play games the better. I never understood the whole thing of if you own a gaming pc you have to hate consoles. If you drink Budweiser you have to hate Coors. If you like the raiders you have to hate the 49ers. It's just silly. It might not be for you, but to call it a dumb idea....

SnAQ

Trophies
XP
Country
You people realize that Stadia can be free right?
You only pay for streaming in 4K etc, if you're fine with 1080p gaming, you only have to buy the game.

Skickat från min SM-G998B via Tapatalk

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts