Grand Theft Auto V will be free to claim on the Epic Games Store until May 21st

KLaV1U0.png

The Epic Games Store continues to give out free games to entice users to its platform, and this time, they've got a pretty big game to offer. Grand Theft Auto V is going to be available for free, starting May 14th. You'll have until May 21st to add the game to your account, and you'll get to keep it forever once you do so.

:arrow: Source

UPDATE: It appears the Tweet was not meant to go up quite yet, as it has now been removed from the official Twitter account.

aGqH5AY.png

Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
View attachment 209163 I installed epic games launcher and installed gtaV. I click the shortcut for gtaV and now rockstar games launcher is installing. I love the continuity.

FFS!! CANT I PLAY WITHOUT SOCIAL CLUB LOG IN

This is total bullshit that we can’t play this offline. The captcha think I’m a robot because of too many wrong answers. I disconnected my laptop to get around it, but the game requires internet.

I know it’s a free game, but I now see why these launchers and the “internet required” games are so bad. I shouldn’t complain about the free game. I’m sure it’s great. Just make the door a bit easier to open so we can get in. Maybe a pirate copy has less interference.
GTA V on PC can not be played without an Internet connection at all times?

Or is it just for the initial startup? Second case isn't great but isn't a deal breaker like the first case.

Purple_Heart

GBATemp´s weirdest Individual
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
View attachment 209163 I installed epic games launcher and installed gtaV. I click the shortcut for gtaV and now rockstar games launcher is installing. I love the continuity.

FFS!! CANT I PLAY WITHOUT SOCIAL CLUB LOG IN

This is total bullshit that we can’t play this offline. The captcha think I’m a robot because of too many wrong answers. I disconnected my laptop to get around it, but the game requires internet.

I know it’s a free game, but I now see why these launchers and the “internet required” games are so bad. I shouldn’t complain about the free game. I’m sure it’s great. Just make the door a bit easier to open so we can get in. Maybe a pirate copy has less interference.

you can play offline just deconnect ur internet acces...nvm i saw you tried to deconnect...thats strange....for me it works but maybe because i have it retail too

Last edited by Purple_Heart,

Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What have Steam done to earn such undying loyalty? Are they not just another company like any other?
I used to think the way that person thinks, too.

Because I didn't want a fractured PC gaming experience and all the other launchers, GfWL, Uplay, Origin.. they just did not cut it.

But Epic Games Launcher has changed things. It is on par with Steam. Better in some ways even. Only thing it is missing for me is forums but maybe it actually has that and I am just not aware.

Reactions: zxr750j

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Because I didn't want a fractured PC gaming experience and all the other launchers, GfWL, Uplay, Origin.. they just did not cut it.

But Epic Games Launcher has changed things. It is on par with Steam. Better in some ways even. Only thing it is missing for me is forums but maybe it actually has that and I am just not aware.

Launchers themselves are an unnecessary component on top of gaming. Defending Steam above any others (and it is not like Steam does not have a laundry list of arsehole moves) seems like defending your mugger because you don't like a new one. Allowing Steam to have domination, if not monopoly, of a market just seems insane to me.

Equally why do you care about forums in a launcher/controlled by a launcher? We have the whole big wide internet for that sort of thing. Such a thing also usually goes for the feature list comparison images that go around, that or there are fine open source equivalents.

Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Epic are also offering free permanent licenses for the highest modern blockbuster AAA games on a regular basis.

They are doing well and they are serious about this.

Last edited by Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee,

Dvdxploitr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have been meaning to get GTA V on PC for awhile but just kept putting it off. I bought it on PS3 when it came out...then I bought it again on PS4....didn't really want to buy it again so this was perfect for me! Also with their Epic Mega Sale, they are giving out $10 coupons for games $14.99 and up including games already marked down. I got The Crew 2 for $4.99...regular price was $59.99, on sale for $14.99 and $10 coupon dropped it down to $4.99. The coupon is still valid for another game as well. So as long as the game is $14.99 or higher, you can get $10 off even its on sale.

Reactions: tranceology3

Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have been meaning to get GTA V on PC for awhile but just kept putting it off. I bought it on PS3 when it came out...then I bought it again on PS4....didn't really want to buy it again so this was perfect for me! Also with their Epic Mega Sale, they are giving out $10 coupons for games $14.99 and up including games already marked down. I got The Crew 2 for $4.99...regular price was $59.99, on sale for $14.99 and $10 coupon dropped it down to $4.99. The coupon is still valid for another game as well. So as long as the game is $14.99 or higher, you can get $10 off even its on sale.
How many times is the coupon valid?

So you get to use $10 off more than once?

Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yup. I bought 5 games all on sale, used the $10 off 5 times, saved $50 total. Each game ended up being $5, $6, $6, $7, $10
Nice nice. Epic should make that clearer. I got the coupon myself but I assumed as anyone would that it is for one purchase only. I also thought that you have to pay at least $14.99 after the coupon, not that the game has to be worth at least $14.99 before the coupon.

Epic Games Launcher is good but they need to explain themselves better.

I actually prefer Epic Games Launcher to Steam, except for the fact that I have friends on Steam and none on Epic. But I think you can chat with Steam friends on the Epic Games Launcher? I know GOG Galaxy is brining out cross-platform chat soon.

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had 1 person reply to me " I rather buy it from steam than getting it free from Epic" like that just doesn't make any sense even if you wanted to be or create yourself as a steam fanboy. Its not about which client is popular its about getting a triple AAA game for free without having to go through piracy or even a small discount.

tranceology3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had 1 person reply to me " I rather buy it from steam than getting it free from Epic" like that just doesn't make any sense even if you wanted to be or create yourself as a steam fanboy. Its not about which client is popular its about getting a triple AAA game for free without having to go through piracy or even a small discount.

Also the only reason we are getting free games from Epic is cause of competition. As a consumer you want competition between Digital game platforms so we get the best deal. I will never be able to understand why anyone would find what Epic is doing a bad thing! BTW how many free games have you guys got from Steam? If anything, maybe Steam should follow Epic's business model and offer some free games once in a while. But don't get me wrong, I still like Steam, and have 100s of games on their platform, but if another platform offers games for free, well that's where ill be!

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone else not really getting the verification email for the social club? I’m starting to enjoy the mini game when you login. You know, you have to click all the little pictures then click “verify” or “skip” if you’ve clicked all the pictures.

Last edited by slaphappygamer,

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Heh... Seems like the difficulty was just the anticipation. I had no problem getting it.

Bit of a pity they've hidden the upcoming next free game, though. I want to use that 10 buck coupon, but I'm afraid i'll buy something that will be given away next week for free. :P

If they did more stuff like this and less exclusivity bullshit maybe they'd actually have decent and growing amount of loyal customers.
They've been giving games away for well over a year on a weekly basis now.

As for the 'exclusivity bullshit'... Perhaps it would hold water if people weren't comparing it to steam, who have far more exclusive games on their store.

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My pc can’t run this game. It’s like I’m moving through water. I’ve tried adjusting the video and it’s a little better. Fuck it. I just bought this game for $8 for my xbax360!

*deletes epic and rockstar launchers with haste.

**Achievement unlocked - regain 100gigs in 30 seconds.

Last edited by slaphappygamer,

tranceology3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If they did more stuff like this and less exclusivity bullshit maybe they'd actually have decent and growing amount of loyal customers.

Ill never understand why anyone is "loyal" to a business. You work hard for your money, then go out and look for a good deal. You find one. Thank you for doing business. Does that mean you should be loyal to that business? No. Businesses need YOU to survive. They will get in your head and make you think you SHOULD be loyal cause they somehow adjusted their business model for you. With Epic giving away FREE games, I am not loyal to them, I just accept their offer and use it.

diggeloid

Alex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ill never understand why anyone is "loyal" to a business. You work hard for your money, then go out and look for a good deal. You find one. Thank you for doing business. Does that mean you should be loyal to that business? No. Businesses need YOU to survive. They will get in your head and make you think you SHOULD be loyal cause they somehow adjusted their business model for you. With Epic giving away FREE games, I am not loyal to them, I just accept their offer and use it.

Because loyalty is a reward for good behavior. There is no requirement for a business to provide good service or value to customers, but if they see that they can earn more money with a loyal customer base, they'll be more likely to act in ways that provide more value to customers so as to build that loyalty. On the opposite end, look at monopolists like Microsoft and Google and just how god awful their products and services are. They don't need to make an effort to earn loyalty because they know people are going to use them no matter what.

Plus it's a natural human behavior to place your trust in someone.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :tpi::rofl2: