GTA: The Trilogy - The Definitive Edition exceeds expectations for Rockstar, sells 10 million copies

grand-theft-auto-trilogy-definitive-edition-gaming-preservation-problem.jpg

When Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy - The Definitive Edition was released late last year, it was to mostly negative reviews. Due to issues with the PC port, the game was entirely pulled from sale for three days, and in the meantime, those who bought it couldn't even access their game to play it. In addition, the performance of the Nintendo Switch version also drew criticism, along with the visual quality of the remasters across all platforms.

Despite all of those problems with the game, GTA: The Trilogy - The Definitive Edition has sold over 10 million copies, and has, "significantly exceeded commercial expectations", according to Rockstar. The sales data was revealed in a recent earnings call for Take-Two, where they also revealed that the franchise has managed a whopping 370 million sales, 155 million of which being Grand Theft Auto V.

At the end of the financial briefing, Take-Two addressed concerns regarding quality assurance in future GTA games, including the upcoming Grand Theft Auto V remaster for Xbox Series X|S and PlayStation 5. Their CEO, Strauss Zelnick commented the following:

We have some quality issues. We’ve attempted to address those. We have more coming, and we feel very good about how the title has performed commercially. I think we were all a bit disappointed about the quality initially. We’re very grateful that most of those issues have been addressed. There’s more work to be done.

:arrow: Source

such

Trophies
XP
Country
Barbados
We have some quality issues. We’ve attempted to address those. We have more coming, and we feel very good about how the title has performed commercially.
Quite funny that my initial read of the above was "we have more quality issues coming". After moving this many units... of course they wouldn't care.

This is why we can't have nice things.

Reactions: Kioku and Xzi

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How did they sell garbage? That's amazing, like selling salt to a snail. :ninja:

(NOTE: The comment is not directed at the quality of the game at least in is original form, but the definitive edition as a remaster....

But I supposed that doesn't matter now does it?)

Man nintendo wish they could sell Super Mario 3D All-stars the way Rockstar sells this trilogy. :creep:

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
It's gotta be mostly people who pay no attention to gaming journalism that pre-purchased this half-finished POS, right?
You'd be completely surprised by how many people don't care about any information related to gaming. Gaming is big, and a lot of people still act like this is the GameStop days where you never looked up anything about a game and just pre ordered it on name recognition.

Budsixz

Gbatemp Gamemer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
You'd be completely surprised by how many people don't care about any information related to gaming. Gaming is big, and a lot of people still act like this is the GameStop days where you never looked up anything about a game and just pre ordered it on name recognition.
I guess this is also the reason people buy fifa every year even though it's like the same game

Reactions: cubes and Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
That sounds pretty smart to me. Modern day "game journalism" is a huge joke.
There's always the option to wait for user reviews too. No excuse for people pre-ordering a game that they know nothing about, especially at a time when many of the most prominent AAA devs have been dropping the ball repeatedly.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's always the option to wait for user reviews too. No excuse for people pre-ordering a game that they know nothing about, especially at a time when many of the most prominent AAA devs have been dropping the ball repeatedly.
GTA Trilogy was an embarrassment. Most triple a games have been broken messes at releases. And if someone pre-orders a game nowadays, they deserve a broken mess.

But that doesn't take away from the fact that modern day game "journalism" is a huge joke. Ignoring them is the best option.

Reactions: britain4

thekarter104

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's also because people have faith in Rockstar, remastering their best games. So they think, mmmm, that might be really good then, and millions of people probably bought it first day or first week at the very least.

I admit for the N64 online expansion, I was aswell, maybe a first minute buyer, got it right after the server maintenance was over, because I thought it'd be good, not knowing they even messed up worse than Wii U N64 emulation. I regret it and wish you could instantly unsubscribe and get most of your money back depending on the days you've had before you unsubscribe.

So yes, think people had the same feeling about the GTA Trilogy Edition that it'd be good.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Makes me wonder how much they've improved the trilogy. It has gotten better, but likely far from perfect.

This means R* will probably "remaster" more GTA games. The Stories games do need some love, tbh.

Reactions: CoolMe

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's also because people have faith in Rockstar, remastering their best games. So they think, mmmm, that might be really good then, and millions of people probably bought it first day or first week at the very least.

I admit for the N64 online expansion, I was aswell, maybe a first minute buyer, got it right after the server maintenance was over, because I thought it'd be good, not knowing they even messed up worse than Wii U N64 emulation. I regret it and wish you could instantly unsubscribe and get most of your money back depending on the days you've had before you unsubscribe.

So yes, think people had the same feeling about the GTA Trilogy Edition that it'd be good.
I knew Nintendo's N64 emulation was going to be bad and lazy, because of the Mario 3D All Stars collection. Before the collection, I thought they might have improved after the shitty N64 Wii-U emulation.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
GTA Trilogy was an embarrassment. Most triple a games have been broken messes at releases. And if someone pre-orders a game nowadays, they deserve a broken mess.

But that doesn't take away from the fact that modern day game "journalism" is a huge joke. Ignoring them is the best option.
It's like anything else, you find a few people whose writing styles you like, or whose opinions mostly align with your own, and create your own news feed that way. I wouldn't say there's anything majorly wrong with gaming journalism, just some specific outlets are known to be trash across the board.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c95QJXRKdIw&pp=ygUdcmFtYm8gMiBtaXNzaW9uIGFjY29tcGxpc2hlZCA%3D