Hacking GUI Emulators?

Immortallix

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was wondering why there aren't really any specialized emulators with GUIs on Wii U yet? I haven't hacked/homebrew'd my Wii U yet as my main reason for doing so would be to use emulators, and upon looking into them recently it seems the only options are retroarch based ones. I thought when emus dropped on Wii U homebrew they'd be like SNES 9X GX, VBA GX, or Genesis Plus GX back on the Wii. Is it just that apps like those would be more work than they're worth & retroarch is just easier to plop onto systems? I've been using Pico Drive libetro on my n2DS and I think it pales in comparison to Genesis GX Plus on the Wii. It had a very intuitive GUI, lots of options & customization while keeping things straightforward & easy to understand, and probably my favorite feature was how simple it was to add GG cheat codes on the fly & enable/disable individual codes. I haven't had much success with codes on any retroarch based 3ds emulator. IMO those GX style emulators on an HD system with more power under the hood would make the Wii U a great near all-in-one box to keep hooked up. Are the days of fancy emulator apps like those gone?

Reactions: NoNAND

ry755

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AFAIK most, if not all, of the emulators on the Wii U use RetroArch. Libretro makes it a little easier to port to different platforms.

Here's a list: https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/List_of_WiiU_homebrew_emulators
That list hasn't been updated recently, so there might be a few more emulators than that. But most people just use RetroArch or VC.

Reactions: NoNAND

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It must be poop day